A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
778 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First post, first bag ... of course a Jordy  (Read 2068 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Larici
« on: March 20, 2006 08:51:39 AM »

I'm very excited as this is my first post. Cheesy
I got recently a sewing machine and looking online for some inspiration for my first project, I found this site. I'm so happy to have found such a group of talented people. After some weeks getting use to my sewing machine (practicing sewing a table runner and some napkins Smiley) and reading you almost everyday to get inspiration I decided to make my first bag. Of course it had to be a Jordy bag. I only changed the shape of the pattern and here is the result:

I also did a matching pouch (which was my first zipper Tongue) :

And an image of the interior with a lined pocket and the matching pouch:

I'm quite happy on how it turn out. But there are a couple of things that I don't like. One is the closure. I used the same fabric as the exterior and it is too stiff. I'm thinking for next time to buy one of these magnetic snaps. And the other one is the interfacing ... too many wrinkles although I ironed it several times.
The bag is not completely finished as I can't decide which thread to use for the topstiching. The pink thread that I used for the rest of the bag it may contrast too much with the white backgound. What do you think? I saw transparent thread on my local store. Has anyone use it on situations like this?
Thanks for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dejavugirl
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006 09:07:11 AM »

Your bag is awesome, what a fabulous first piece!!  You did a really fantastic job and obviously thought out a lot of details. Kudos!

As for interfacing, I have been having troubles with the iron-on stuff; even though it is definitely easier to work with in many ways, I can't get it to stop wrinkling.  Maybe I'm doing it wrong, I don't know.  But what has been working really well for me is felt - plain old ordinary white felt that I buy off the bolt.  It costs about the same as the interfacing but has some body to it and is not stiff.  I've been using a light iron-on interfacing on the lining of my bags and felt with the exterior, and I've been very happy with that.  Try experimenting with different things, you never know what might work for you.  I'd like to try fusible fleece but I can't seem to find any.

I'd also be interested to hear what people have to say about invisible thread, I haven't tried it myself yet.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 09:10:13 AM »

Your bag looks amazing.  I'm definately impressed.

Personally, I detest iron interfacing.  I always use the sew-in kind.  For me, the iron on stuff neve really sticks very well. 

I like the idea of using felt.  That might work in a pinch....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
CraftMomNancy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006 09:56:29 AM »

Looks great. I really like it. Where did you find that beautiful fabric?
Nancy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Larici
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006 11:51:22 AM »

Thanks a lot for your nice comments. This weekend I bought sew in interface, so now I'm thinking on my next project to try it and see if I like it better. I may try felt too ... thanks for the tip dejavugirl.
Regarding the fabric, because of my work I live now in ireland and there are very few stores where they sell fabric and the range is very, very limited. I usually go to one that is speciliased in home dec fabrics. These were sold for curtains, that's why the flower is so big, but I managed to center it where I wanted. But they are quite expensive too, around 12$/yd on sale!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdipity
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006 10:20:09 AM »

I'm jealous of your sewing skills.  That looks very very nice.  I have been trying to figure out what the right type of interfacing was.  I think when I tried the sew on stuff I realized I should have sewed along all of my seams.  I had a different color bottom fabric than my sides. 

I think that if I'd sewn along that spot it would have worked a little better.  And not pulled away from the fabric so much.  But the fabric seems to stay ironed pretty well.  I'm not sure that makes sense but if so I hope it helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fortune_32

Crafty as a fox!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006 10:29:44 AM »

I just have to say it - this is the NICEST first bag post I've EVER seen! Great work! I think it's really cute, and awfully proffessional looking for your first try.

Have you tried ordering fabric on the internet? I find the greatest deals online, much better priced than in stores in my area. There's always supply swaps & trades too! I'm kinda new here, but I've seen some really great textiles shared across the miles! Keep up the good work - you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006 10:39:17 AM »

You did a great job for a 1st bag.  I just made my 1st bag recently and it was not nearly as nice as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

karenbb
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006 11:59:34 AM »

Your bag is GORGEOUS!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE that fabric!

I too, have interfacing woes.  Sometimes it works great--other times not so well.  I think I may try the felt trick.  That has definitely intrigued me...especially since white felt can be quite cheap!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Karen
Mint Workshop
Ryoruki
the crazy lady

You may be right, I may be crazy...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2006 12:06:52 PM »

since noone else has said anything abotu the invisible thread...
i used it in my old (very VERY old, like early 1900's) machine and it streched and snapped frequently. i haven't tried it in my new machine, but it would probally work better since my new machine deals a lot better with non ordinary thread. i LOVE that fabric and bag!! i found somehting like it at a local joanns in upholstery and bought a half yard, the lady looked at me like i was crazy haha!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

As grad school eats my soul and time, i slowly begin to craft again...

Life is not complex. We are complex. Life is simple, and the simple thing is the right thing. -- Oscar Wilde
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Interview With Veteran Comic Book Artist Herb Trimpe
Interview With Comic Book Illustrator Dale Eagelsham
How to Draw Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean
How to Draw the Joker from Batman
How to Draw Oswald Rabbit
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...