A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 301,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: punk corset  (Read 5649 times)
Tags for this thread: corset , plaid  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

el_fin_de_nada
« on: July 02, 2004 12:36:38 AM »

i made another corset top recently, but i keep looking at it and it seems a little too short.  i'm trying to sell it but nothing so far.

anyway, i tried a deifferent design.  i really like this.  i used safety pins along the back mainly because i hate eyelets because they suck!  they suck because they aren't are sturdy as grommets.  i have grommets but i really want to stick to silver colored ones.  what do you think?  any suggestions for improvement?

front 
side   
back 

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009 08:29:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004 04:38:22 AM »

Really nice.  Maybe instead of grommets or safety pins you could use those "hook and eye" things as a closure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shannonburns
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004 04:57:34 AM »

since i have noooo experience yet with making corsets i can't say much but i would like anything that made it easy to get on & off but still looked good would work.

how hard is it to put on by yourself with the safety pins?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check me out on ebay under rubyroxxdesigns or visit me on live journal at:
http://www.livejournal.com/users/irelynfaerie/35286.html?view=121302#t121302
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004 07:31:09 AM »

Not to be at all mean (you've asked for suggestoins on improvement Wink)

here goes

1) like was mentioned above, its looks complicated to put on.
2) there are some unprofessional spots... now I know it supposed to be punk rock, but
  - the bottom hem is uneven- if this situation were symmetrical, it'd be one thing...
  -the back panels are uneven,not smmetrical, and look like they were "hurried together"
  - did you make buttonholes where to safety pins go in? that would make the item more sturdy,nicer quality, and sit nicer on the body
  - the stencil on the side is not centered on its panel- next time draw the outline of your panel onto the fabric first and center you stencil more.
 - the front in kinda plain- I like the idea of the stencil on the side, but, think about this- when you put it on, is your arm hangin' over, covering the stencil? maybe make the stencil on a square, and then center and stitch it to the front?

That's what I see as of right now- I hope you take this all with a grain of salt, knowing that I was only answering your request for suggestions. I really like the basic idea you were putting across with this piece, I just think the design could be presented better, and would reflect better on you and your skills that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
el_fin_de_nada
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004 03:32:11 PM »

thank you SO MUCH, shade n shadow.  i truly do appreciate your advice and i'm going to work on some of the suggestions right now.

p.s.  i've seen the stuff you've made and it's amazing! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shade_n_shadow
The Jones.

teh knowledge- it fills me- IT IS NEAT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004 08:16:32 PM »

I really like your design savvy though- you have some innovative ideas- just keep honing your skills:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin~~~
~~~Everytime I get with the program, somone changes the damn channel!~~~
~~~on one of those speech-to-text programs my friend ripped ass onto the mic.and it typed out "France"~~~
sheriffkarli
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2004 12:57:36 PM »

Just a word of advice on your corset: The safety pins are a neat idea but I hope you have put some heavy duty interfacing on the inside of your fabric. The constant pressure where the saftey pins are will eventually cause holes in your corset. Also, if you are having a problem with eyelets you are probably punching too big of a hole into your fabric so the eyelet doesn't have enough fabric to grip onto, therefore making the eyelet eventually fall out (I know from personal experience, but if used correctly eyelets can be quite sturdy). Try looking at carft stores, not fabric stores, for different colours of eyelets. I've found every colour of eyelet and grommet by doing some serious hunting. Good luck, I like the basic idea you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my crafting blog and tutorials at www.madebykarli.com
el_fin_de_nada
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2004 07:31:52 PM »

thanks for the info about eyelets.  when i tried them out i did do it on reinforced fabroc.  it was a cancas-like material on the inside for sturdiness and plaid decorative material that showed through on the outside of the garment.i made little hote in the layers and used my eyelet pliers but it seems like those little teeth weren't gripping a sturdily as i hoped.  maybe i need more practice on them.  i have seen tons of other projects where the eyelets look great---BUT i've also heard mention of eyelet falling out.  maybe it's the pliers?  i did see eyelet kits that let you add eyelets with a hammer.  what type do you guys recommend?

the method i preferred was grommets.  i was desperate and since i don't have a car i ran to the neighborhood hardware shop and bought some heavy duty 1/4" brass grommets with a little kit that you use to hammer them in.  that way worked perfectly.  i just didn't like the brass look so i tried to get them to order something silver colored and they said they didn't have that item in any of their warehouses.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessadress
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004 04:59:36 PM »

u could use silver spraypaint, or model car type paint for those grommets
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004 06:04:17 PM »

i agree with you on the eyelet thing.  they blow.  i just use seperating zippers when i make corsets now, because i can't find grommet OR hook and eye tape ANYWHERE!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Celebrity Perfume Scent Test: Snooki Vs. Jay Z
Celebrity Perfume Scent Test: Snooki Vs. Taylor Swift
5 Ways to Treat Your Body This Weekend
VF COLLECTIONS: Guy Laroche Spring/Summer 2015 - Paris Fashion Week
9 Products For Getting the Perfect Winged Liner Look
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...