A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,852
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where do you find inspiration?  (Read 919 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AnnaReilly

Part cat-woman, part cat-lady...

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2006 04:00:33 PM »

Where do you find inspiration for things to craft?

-----
Besides this message board Wink...

For clothing I like looking at catalogs or online to find stuff I like to recreate. Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, Delia*s and Alloy have cool things I like to copy. I also really like Lucky magazine for that, too.

I love looking at the Pottery Barn catalogs for decorating inspiration and all the different decorating books at the library. Lowe's has some free "magazines" you can sign up for from the their website. They're mostly Lowe's ads, but they have some pretty cool ideas too. The woodworking one has several projects all detailed out with measurements and instructions.

I also really dig travel brochures. They're free (yay) and can really get me going on a theme. (I've found a lot of cool decoupage material from them as well.)

Readymade mag is good of course too but it doesn't come out nearly often enough for my liking. I've found some good ideas from other craft magazines too but most of them are kind of expensive for the stuff I take from them (a lot of it isn't really my style) so I like to just look at them at the library.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
~Scott Adams
nest
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006 04:43:48 PM »

I have found ideas and inspiration everywhere! This board for one thing. My son's toys and books. Going to the library with him at least once a week and checking out children's books. I just got"Gnomes" and I swear it was inspiration for David the Gnome, on Nick about 10 years ago, it was my favorite.But, gnomes rock and how cute would a needle-felted gnome be? I digress, magazines are helpful, but I don't usually like most of the crafty ones. They are too commercial and tired. I love to learn about the history of crafting and why people crafted. The Quilt's of Gee's Bend and egg money quilts are so inspirational. These women quilted from necessity and used what they had. My son inspires me to look at things much simpler and to find delight in the most daily things, www.magiccabin.com rocks for this kind of inspiration. Japanese craft books have been another source. http://buzzville.typepad.com/ has a flicker album that is great. All sorts of blogs, www.loobylu.com is usually a starting point. O.k. I could go on forever. I have found inspiration in all things, but this board has been instrumental in my crafting. Thanks, craftster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.nest.etsy.com
www.nesthandmade.blogspot.com
"If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar,
A hope-er, a pray-er, and magic bean buyer...
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin,
Come in, come in!" Shel Silverstein
coachwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 04:34:38 PM »

I agree with you about Readymade. Wish it came out more often.

I find inspiration everywhere especially because a lot of what I craft is based on words and quotes so I'm always on the look out for those. But in addition, I challenge myself when I'm on a walk, for instance. I see a gorgeous tree and I think to myself, how can I take what I feel about that tree and turn it into something I (or someone else) will want to keep. I also am inspired by my grandchildren because they are so new and see everything so differently. It's amazing to show them something they don't know and ask them what it might be used for. Now THAT's inspiring!

Lynn
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007 09:35:27 AM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Try "The half hour that changes lives." It's free life, personal or solo business coaching at www.coachwithlynn.com
useratl
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007 08:00:46 AM »

Not knowing where else to post this:

just liked the knitting theme in this ad:

http://www.lochers.com/collection10.html

and this anthropologie blanket (fake crochet, though I know it is, or something but it could be knit):
(actually there's two on the site!)

http://www.anthropologie.com/jump.jsp?itemID=385&itemType=CATEGORY
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007 09:37:09 AM »

For clothing or accessories, I like to check out Anthropologie, Free People, Urban Outfitters, Forever 21, stuff like that.

But, you can really get crafty inspiration anywhere. I have a few blogs that I check regularly and I absolutely LOVE Craftzine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
emmalou93
I wish I had more time.... i lose so muuch of it doing things i dont want to do, which is everything but being creative!

i wish i could paint

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007 07:29:12 PM »

I can spend so much time just browsing etsy and looking at all of the things in the treasury and under categories... I just try and make my own pattern to make things that I get ideas from there... I also like looking at crafty web logs... www.weewonderfuls.com has a big list I like browsing { + a few free patterns } ... also looking at japanese sites on the wee/ site is cool... although I cant really read them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun." -Mary Lou Cook
xx_Kellybean
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007 03:41:13 PM »

First off, my main inspiration is this board.

For jewelry and whatnot, I usually just have to go to work. I work at Wal-Mart as an overnight stocker, and am usually stuck in the craft section every night. Putting away a big box of beeds definitely makes my mind wander. Sometimes going into a jewelry store, or a jewelry section of a store, also gets my mind to thinking.

For knitting and stuff, I usually look at scarves that other people have made, or look at them at the store to see what stitch pattern they used and whatnot. Sometimes, even from the people that just walk past me.

And... If I was actually able to make clothing... I guess looking on the boards or at catalogs would be my inspiration as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WIPs

The WIPs Phenomenon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007 03:41:42 PM »

Oh, I also get inspiration from looking at people's wists!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 Themes ATC: 1/100 Grin
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007 11:30:25 PM »

I find inspiration everywhere, I often find myself stopping people on the street and asking if I can take a photo of what their wearing. Its the only use I've found for the camera feature on my cell phone (other than taking pictures of idiots that don't know i'm watching lol)   

I also love to check out Papaya in the mall, and Forever 21 (also online lots of fun things that are up to the minute in style)  I draw a ton of inspiration from both.  I also do alot of searches for Japanese Street style, and buy a few Japanese magazines for inspiration (can find them on ebay)

As for inspiration for decorating, one of my favorite books to find 'help' in is the Ikea catalog.  I love the use of color and simplistic designs that they incorporate into their photos.  Their decorated rooms but also completely livable spaces.

For other crafts I continually see things that I can make into something else, I love to hit the thrift shops and see what is there that I could transform into something else.  I find fabrics in stores that 'speak' to me and tell me exactly what they are meant to become. 

Sometimes I'll see flowers or something in an array of colors (even graffiti on a wall) and find a spark of inspiration for how to arrange colors etc... or even how to decorate a room. 

I've found inspiration in my kid's drawings, and in their descriptions of things, and when I just needed to find a creative solution to an issue around the house. 

I'm rambling now, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Fall Fashion Trends For the Whole Family
Jessie J Shows Off Her Curves in Hot Pink
Fall 2013 Trends to Wear for Curvy Girls
Would You Wear Embellished Pants Like Elle Fanning?
Darren Criss Vs. Avan Jogia Fashion Faceoff at 2013 Do Something Awards
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...