A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,187
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for an EASY and CHEAP A-Line skirt?  (Read 5427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OurJuliet
« on: March 19, 2006 03:15:07 PM »

I'm out of money and short on time!  I'm making Simplicity 4653...a simple, EASY, fast A-Line skirt that I can dig into my fabric stash to make!

The sample skirt on the pattern is UGLY...and is shown in style A (which is longer and tulip-shaped.  However, style B is a simple A-Line skirt with a nice drape to it.  It can be made out of very inexpensive fabrics and still look great with a t-shirt and flip-flops!

Here's the pattern (remember to look at style B, which is the hot pink skirt in the pic):

I've already made a sample from $2.00 fabric at Wal-Mart, and it turned-out so cute (although I am going to cut it down by one size for the next one)!  I'm going to add flourishes to it this week; I'm thinking either embroidery or ruched ribbon in a design.

The best part was that it took less than 2 hours!! 

Any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampcricket
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006 08:58:56 PM »

(Week long lurker, first time poster.)

I made this skirt in a crepe-like polyester and it turned out so cute!  The seam lines are just right for girl curves.  Unfortunately, I was just learning how to sew and made the skirt in my ready-to-wear size instead of using my measurements, so it ended up being too small.   Sad

I would encourage anyone to give this pattern a try.  I am a curvy girl and I will make it in the right size soon!  Good luck with this pattern, it is super-super flattering.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 02:42:06 PM »

Welcome swampcricket!!  We're happy to have you.  Thanks also for the input on this pattern; please post a pic when you finish your new skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006 06:38:23 AM »

I actually really like that!  And I am loving the sound of it being girly curve friendly.  Smiley  I may just be interested!  But...  Don't expect anything really soon.  Waaayyyy too busy.  But maybe in, like, a year.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spinningwoman
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006 04:00:06 AM »

I'm up for this - I was looking for a nice plain but not totally straight skirt pattern, so thank you for shoving this one under my nose.  I've sent off for it and I already have fabric.

Looking ahead, would anyone have an idea for an easy jacket that would go over this?  I need some casual suit-type things for work, but they need to be comfortable and not too formal looking as I work with people and have to look approachable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006 05:32:40 PM »

I'm not skilled enough for a jacket yet, but Butterick's new summer collection has a very versatile pattern:

It's pattern #4741...and is currently 1/2 off at www.sewingpatterns.com !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006 01:11:31 AM »

I'm not skilled enough for a jacket either!  Thanks for the pattern suggestion, but for some reason I don't like the idea of a shirt-yoke style.  (Not sure why, as my favourite current jacket is that style.)

I'm a sort of serial repeat beginner when it comes to sewing for myself; I keep starting, screwing up, and giving up for ten years or so.  I have made loads of kids costumes etc, but the last time I made something for me was a shirt about 10 years ago - I was determined that this time it would fit, so I actually drafted a pattern from my measurements according to The Book - Metric Pattern Cutting.  Measured it up and it seemed like it couldn't fail.  Did actually try in on at the basted stage, but I think I must not have moved much because I was afraid of straining the basting.  Made it up oh-so meticulously - even neatened the inside edges - all that top-stitching - then proudly put it on and discovered that although the bust measurement was spot on, the division between front ('the Boob Fairy never came for me', to quote a very fiunny song by Deirdre Flint) and back (unusually broad) was completely wrong, so I could only wear it if I stood ramrod straight with shoulders back and filled my bra with left-over hamsters.

Maybe that's why I shy away from shirt-like patterns, I suppose<g>.

I am planning to bully/bribe my family into covering me with duct-tape for a dummy this weekend - that is such a brilliant idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006 06:21:19 AM »

In my experience, Simplicity has the easiest patterns.  I would never use them for something super fancy unless I wanted to change their directions and alter the pattern myself, but their stuff is pretty simple, I think.  This particular skirt pattern is part of the "It's sew easy" section of their patterns.  Looking through that, there are a few casual dress coat patterns.  They should be easy to make!  Here's the page for it...  http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=5&type=0&sec=0&id=83&startrow=1  Look at what they have....  And there is an insurmountable number of people here who can help you if you hit a road block!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aodhfionn

signed, sealed, delivered

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006 07:56:03 AM »

Oooo I would love to do this! However, I have NO CLUE how to work my sewing machine, my mother is in Puerto Rico until after Easter, and everytime I suggest a learning project, she complicates it and it's never finished.
So, if you can tell me where to find sewing machine how-tos, I'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006 01:30:04 PM »

What sort of machine is it?  Would your mother be OK with you using it?  Look and see if it has a manual with it, which would tell you how to set it up.

This site looks quite good:

http://craftandfabriclinks.com/sewingbook/sewbk5.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 8 Fashion Flashbacks: 2011
Shiseido Shimmering Rouge Lipstick Review
5 Minutes to Bolder Eyebrows
Get Dramatic Metallic Eyes for Christmas
New Year Disco Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...