A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,380
Currently Running With Scissors:
508 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone up for an EASY and CHEAP A-Line skirt?  (Read 5198 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OurJuliet
« on: March 19, 2006 03:15:07 PM »

I'm out of money and short on time!  I'm making Simplicity 4653...a simple, EASY, fast A-Line skirt that I can dig into my fabric stash to make!

The sample skirt on the pattern is UGLY...and is shown in style A (which is longer and tulip-shaped.  However, style B is a simple A-Line skirt with a nice drape to it.  It can be made out of very inexpensive fabrics and still look great with a t-shirt and flip-flops!

Here's the pattern (remember to look at style B, which is the hot pink skirt in the pic):

I've already made a sample from $2.00 fabric at Wal-Mart, and it turned-out so cute (although I am going to cut it down by one size for the next one)!  I'm going to add flourishes to it this week; I'm thinking either embroidery or ruched ribbon in a design.

The best part was that it took less than 2 hours!! 

Any takers?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
swampcricket
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006 08:58:56 PM »

(Week long lurker, first time poster.)

I made this skirt in a crepe-like polyester and it turned out so cute!  The seam lines are just right for girl curves.  Unfortunately, I was just learning how to sew and made the skirt in my ready-to-wear size instead of using my measurements, so it ended up being too small.   Sad

I would encourage anyone to give this pattern a try.  I am a curvy girl and I will make it in the right size soon!  Good luck with this pattern, it is super-super flattering.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 02:42:06 PM »

Welcome swampcricket!!  We're happy to have you.  Thanks also for the input on this pattern; please post a pic when you finish your new skirt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006 06:38:23 AM »

I actually really like that!  And I am loving the sound of it being girly curve friendly.  Smiley  I may just be interested!  But...  Don't expect anything really soon.  Waaayyyy too busy.  But maybe in, like, a year.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spinningwoman
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006 04:00:06 AM »

I'm up for this - I was looking for a nice plain but not totally straight skirt pattern, so thank you for shoving this one under my nose.  I've sent off for it and I already have fabric.

Looking ahead, would anyone have an idea for an easy jacket that would go over this?  I need some casual suit-type things for work, but they need to be comfortable and not too formal looking as I work with people and have to look approachable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
OurJuliet
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006 05:32:40 PM »

I'm not skilled enough for a jacket yet, but Butterick's new summer collection has a very versatile pattern:

It's pattern #4741...and is currently 1/2 off at www.sewingpatterns. com !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2006 01:11:31 AM »

I'm not skilled enough for a jacket either!  Thanks for the pattern suggestion, but for some reason I don't like the idea of a shirt-yoke style.  (Not sure why, as my favourite current jacket is that style.)

I'm a sort of serial repeat beginner when it comes to sewing for myself; I keep starting, screwing up, and giving up for ten years or so.  I have made loads of kids costumes etc, but the last time I made something for me was a shirt about 10 years ago - I was determined that this time it would fit, so I actually drafted a pattern from my measurements according to The Book - Metric Pattern Cutting.  Measured it up and it seemed like it couldn't fail.  Did actually try in on at the basted stage, but I think I must not have moved much because I was afraid of straining the basting.  Made it up oh-so meticulously - even neatened the inside edges - all that top-stitching - then proudly put it on and discovered that although the bust measurement was spot on, the division between front ('the Boob Fairy never came for me', to quote a very fiunny song by Deirdre Flint) and back (unusually broad) was completely wrong, so I could only wear it if I stood ramrod straight with shoulders back and filled my bra with left-over hamsters.

Maybe that's why I shy away from shirt-like patterns, I suppose<g>.

I am planning to bully/bribe my family into covering me with duct-tape for a dummy this weekend - that is such a brilliant idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Chilan
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2006 06:21:19 AM »

In my experience, Simplicity has the easiest patterns.  I would never use them for something super fancy unless I wanted to change their directions and alter the pattern myself, but their stuff is pretty simple, I think.  This particular skirt pattern is part of the "It's sew easy" section of their patterns.  Looking through that, there are a few casual dress coat patterns.  They should be easy to make!  Here's the page for it...  http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=5&type=0&sec=0&id=83&startrow=1  Look at what they have....  And there is an insurmountable number of people here who can help you if you hit a road block!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aodhfionn

signed, sealed, delivered

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2006 07:56:03 AM »

Oooo I would love to do this! However, I have NO CLUE how to work my sewing machine, my mother is in Puerto Rico until after Easter, and everytime I suggest a learning project, she complicates it and it's never finished.
So, if you can tell me where to find sewing machine how-tos, I'm in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spinningwoman
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006 01:30:04 PM »

What sort of machine is it?  Would your mother be OK with you using it?  Look and see if it has a manual with it, which would tell you how to set it up.

This site looks quite good:

http://craftandfabriclinks.com/sewingbook/sewbk5.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author T.C. Boyle Has No Regrets
J.A. Jance Celebrates Her 50th Book
Moving Target by J.A. Jance
Taking a Pop at the Economy
Learn Why Linda Yellin Wrote About Nora Ephron
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...