A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Windy City Scarf instructions confusion!  (Read 1280 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hippie9

The Mythical and Magical Seahorse

View Profile WWW
« on: March 19, 2006 09:59:01 AM »

In the instructions for the Windy City scarf, it says to "Divide in half" for the keyhole....I'm not an experienced knitter because if I was, maybe I'd understand what it meant!

Divide WHAT in half? The knitting is on the needle, do I slide half of it off the needle?

Any help would be great, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

My blog/showcase of my crafts:  http://kimmadecrafts.blogspot.com/
bigang100
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006 03:14:22 PM »

If you look at the scarf it has a slit in it right down the middle to put the other scarf end in.  Well, what you are going to do is put half of the stitches on a stitch holder (or whatever else would work) and you just work one side for however long they say.  Then, when you have that side done, you take the stitches of the holder and knit that side until it matches the other.  Then you just put all the stitches back on one needle and continue knitting like you were before (all in one piece).  Does that make sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shots rang out, like shots are wont to do.
Hippie9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006 03:42:24 PM »

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHA NKYOU!!!!!

Mystery solved!!!!

So, just so I have this straight.....you could just use a knitting needle as a stitch holder, couldn't you? If you had a point protector to keep the stitches from falling off? Seems like it would make things easier when it comes time to knitting those set-aside stitches, as it says to knit both sides.....does this sound right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006 07:12:18 AM »

You could use a needle as a stitch holder, but that might weigh it down a lot and stretch out the stitches.  I'd just thread some yarn through a yarn needle and slip the stitches off the knitting needle (slip them purlwise) and onto the yarn.  That's always what I do for a stitch holder, because it's free and won't stretch out stitches.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
lelila
geek.

nerd love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006 07:41:45 AM »

Wait... really?  That's not what I did when I made this scarf.  Let me see if I can explain this well... I'm not very good at explinations.   Roll Eyes  Ok, so what I did was I wound a little, second ball of yarn using the end I wasn't knitting with, then... uh.  Maybe I should draw a picture.

Does that make any sense?  So I was knitting both halves at the same time, but they stayed seperate because I had two balls of yarn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Will private swap for handspun yarn!

My wists.

KER+ Exp+ SPM+(+) Bam++@ Syn+@ Wool+(+)@ Stash++ Scale- Fin--  Ent+ Tex++ Lace++ Int-@ Flat++ Circ+(-) DPN+ !Swatch-- FO+ WIP++ W+@ ALTSw(++)
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006 08:47:03 AM »

You can do it either way.  Sometimes people don't want to roll up a little ball of yarn, so they do one side at a time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpre ss.com
Hippie9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006 11:29:36 PM »

Lelila, yours makes more sense to me because the instructions *say* to knit both sides at once. If there are stitches on a stitch holder, how can you knit them?

I'm going to try this as an experiment and see if it works for me. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kim

eja615
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006 11:34:06 AM »

Basically, there are two ways to do it.  The instructions tell you one way--to introduce a new ball of yarn and work 10sts with one ball, drop the slack of yarn from that ball and pick up the new one, and to knit the remaining 10 sts with the new ball. 

If you choose, you can knit each half separately by putting half of your sitches onto a stitchholder and then knitting the other half until it's the right length.  then, you'd put the stitches on the stitch holder back onto your needle and knit those until everything's the right length. 

Personally, I think it's easier to knit both at once (the first option).  There's no need to count rows so you don't need to worry about having one side longer than the other.  And really, it is just for a few rows.

So, to answer your question abotu the stitch holder, you don't knit those stitches while they're on it.  You put them on it to get them out of the way for a little while.

I made this scarf for my sister a couple of years ago and it's seriously cute!
Good luck & hope we haven't confused you too much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get Red Carpet Ready with Award Winning Nails
Company Claims Suction Device Creates Fuller Lips
Cameron Diaz Is Anti-Botox
5 Things to Try This January 2014
Natural Solution to Smooth Wrinkles
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...