A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Men's Clothing  (Read 483 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fg0d
« on: March 18, 2006 01:26:28 PM »

Hey, I've been looking around on this site, and I really really want to attempt making my own clothes. I'm a 14 year old guy, and I've never made my own clothes, except for stenciled shirts, but I might other methods soon. Anyway, I want to make my own clothes. I have a little little sewing experience, but no experience in knitting and I don't know how to crochet. What can I do, I'm looking for some unique clothing, and I really want to try making my own. Can you guys point me to any tutorials and useful links? Thanks in advance.

-blan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuckyLally
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006 04:53:03 PM »

mens tut's might be hard to find because in my experince most tut's seem to be for skirts and dresses...

I would check out the recon page (right below completed projects) if you are just starting to sew it is easier to start with something and turn it into something else then starting from scratch..I would also learn how to make a pair of pajama pants.

as for learning to sew mens clothes I would become a master at inserting zippers, buttons and button holes. Most mens clothes have one of these features because other than sweats ...men tend not to wear strech knits.

I alway commend male sewers who sew for themselves because mens clothing is VERY difficult to make
THIS ROCKS   Logged
welshdragon

Love Music : Hate Racism - www.lovemusichateracism

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006 04:30:30 AM »

im a guy its not really much we can do really unless you get in to hardcore sewing
most of my projects are either jazzing up collared shirts
stencilling,belt buckles. dying clothes etc
heres a few of my projects Undecided
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53570.0
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=39181.msg344072#msg344072
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=77994.msg732140#msg732140

i have recently started to learn how knit its much fun for some reason ive got to listen to potishead whilst doing it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love Music : Hate Racism - www.lovemusichatera cism.com
fg0d
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006 06:33:46 AM »

Thanks, I'll look into those, I like the belt buckle. If anyone has anymore help, please keep them coming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
munkymu
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006 11:58:20 AM »

Actually, most casual shirts (except button-up ones) seem to be knits.  You can take any sort of men's t-shirt or long-sleeve t-shirt pattern and jazz it up with sewn-in stripes, stencils, nylon straps and d-rings, grommets, whatever.  Board shorts don't require zippers, you just need to be careful about making them baggy enough (tip:  don't use a stretch fabric pattern with a woven fabric!)  Boxer shorts and around-the-house pajama bottoms are easy to make and useful.  Pants and jackets are harder but you can start with the easier stuff and move on to things with zippers, sewn-in pockets or fitting issues.

Women's clothes are just as, if not more difficult, it's just that there's a greater variety overall, so there is also a greater variety for the beginning seamstress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ksew
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006 01:26:32 PM »

I make a lot of clothes for my husband, and the real trick, is finding a pattern that *first* is nice.. (its hard to find nice men's patterns in America)  You could always take a trip to Rome and stock up..
anyway.. www.sewingpatterns. com is probably your best bet.  What I did is find a pattern that fits him well, and that he likes.  Once you find a pattern you like, you can really alter it any way you like, Making funky weird big pockets, etc. etc.  I would say first find a pattern that has a cut you like.  I like the flat front pants... I hate all those pleats in the front of mens pants.. yuck... anyway, using a flat front is easier anyway if you are going to be sewing on your own pockets.  And you will have to really practice putting in a zipper if you are new to sewing, it can be confusing to just go by a pattern's instructions, and would be a lot easier if you could watch someone do it one time.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006 02:33:23 PM »

If you're learning to sew, you might want to join Pattern Review. (http://sewing.patternreview.com/) It is a general sewing site, with a lot of reviews and forums where you can learn a lot. Most of the members are women and they sew mostly women's clothes, but the techniques can cross over to men's clothes. And there are a few men. One of the forums has a long thread on how guys can learn to sew, and I recently saw a post by a man who'd made something like forty shirts all from one Kwik Sew pattern he'd picked up secondhand--he'd varied the details so each looked different.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make White Chocolate-Cherry Bark
Sugar-Roasted Plum Recipes
Light Mini Donut Recipe
How to Make Chocolate-Peanut Butter Pudding
Raw Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...