A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
813 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i have tamed the brocade! and it is good......  (Read 2814 times)
Tags for this thread: skirt , piping , brocade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2004 05:20:20 PM »

yay! this skirt is FINALLY done! over the last couple of weeks i've discovered just how much of a pain in the ass silk can be. i thought it was tricky to cut cotton on the bias, but i was so very naive. silk, although gorgeous and delicious to wear, is Evil to sew. but anyway, enough griping. behold my taming skillz!

and a close-up of the lovely fabric and PIPING!!!! i'm officially addicted to piping now. it is a yummy yummy thing to have and makes such a world of difference to the level of quality your work pretends to have.

not that this is low-quality. not at all. i pride myself on my projects never coming apart. but the zipper (which i eventually had to handsew at the very end) could have turned out quite a bit better. i should have placed that sucker 1/8" further down and you can't even see the inside of it  Undecided not knowing exactly how to shorten a zipper (nor caring, at 4 am), i just sort of sewed it in place and then hacked off the excess. needless to say, i have done Much better zippers.

however, evil zipper issues aside, i'm rather pleased with how this turned out. good thing it's Way too small for me or i might be tempted to not sell it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
ellseybell

It's a hard job being a beautiful assistant...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004 05:55:05 PM »

The fabric is absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations on taming the shrew.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever." -- Judge Judy
astrea
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004 06:44:19 PM »

That's really beautiful!  I love the fabric; where'd you get it?  Not that I would get any, because you make sewing with it sound like it's way above my skill level.

Do you have any recommendations for learning how to add piping?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

labwear.etsy.com
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004 07:49:18 PM »

i found it at a thrift store. it waaassss.....$2? for a couple of yards. normally brocade is upwards of, like, $9 per yard, so i was well-pleased. and it's not necessarily difficult until you 1) start playing around with cutting it on the bias and 2) get it folded up so that it's about 7 layers thick. had i made this not on the bias and left off the piping at the top of the waistband it would have far easier. or it could just be that i'm fairly new to bias-cut skirts And working with silk and decided to tackle both at once.

adding piping is really easy. making it is only slightly less easy. there's an awesome tutorial for it somewhere......errr r.....here's how to make it:

http://www.phyllistitch.com/piping_tutorial.htm

to stick it in a seam you just baste it to the right side of one piece of fabric so the raw edges of the fabric and piping line up, then put the other piece of fabric right-side down and sew the seam like you normally would. sorry if that was obscure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004 07:37:46 AM »

Lovely, I agree that silk can be unfun to sew, but I have learned over the years that basting and tailor tacks are a girls bestfriend with any slippery fabrics. I agree the piping is a nice touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
FunkyMonkey18
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2004 11:59:27 AM »

Yummy yummy i love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Go Back to Snail Mail to Stay in Touch with Friends
The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton
John U. Bacon on the Fight For the Soul of College Football
Lydia Netzer Introduces Shine Shine Shine
Lee Siegel on Liberating Literature from Academic Pressure
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...