A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: My New Handbag  (Read 275598 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag , handbag , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2006 12:27:02 PM »

I got bored with my old handbag, so here is my new one.  It took me about 4 hours - cause I didn't want to stuff it up.  I particularly like the zipper in the top rather than just the magnetic closure.  The handles look short but they're actually 22 inches long - it's just that they are leaning backwards slightly in the photo.

**EDIT**

This bag is similar to the jordy http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=32204.0 except that I have different handles.  It is also constructed slightly different than the jordy in that the outer bag is made separate to the lining bag.  They are sewed together in the final step.  If you have any questions, please ask.

To add a zipper into the top of your bag, you need to firstly have a zipper.  Depending on the size of the zipper, you may or may not need to add little end bits to the zipper.  In this case, the zipper was a bit shorter than the bag, so I added end tabs to them.

You need to cut gusset pieces.  The measurement of these will be the width of your bag by about 2.25 inches (probably no more than that otherwise your zipper will end up too far down the bag).  My original handbag was less than that but it depends on your preference.  If your zipper is shorter than the width of the bag, you will need to cut little end tabs.  These will be the width of your zipper (in my case this was 1 inch) by a few inches (more is better - you can trim down later).  You will need to neaten the edges of the tabs and one side of your gusset pieces.  They will look something like this:

If you have end tabs, sew them to the ends of your zipper, like this:

Fold the seam allowance of the neatened edge of your gusset pieces towards the wrong side, like this:

Pin the gusset pieces to the zipper:

Sew in the zipper.  I added the action shot as someone mentioned that I have "good putting in zipper skills" Cheesy  I just use a zipper foot and I go SLOW.  I used to think that going fast is the answer to straight sewing but sadly the slower I went, the neater it was.  As you can also see I keep the fabric well back from the zipper teeth.  If you look at a zipper, there is a "strip" which the weave is slightly different.  This is the "mark" that I line my fabric up with.  When I am using my zipper foot and line my fabric up with this "mark", I don't need to move the zipper pull out of the way when sewing.

Trim the end tabs down in line with the gusset pieces.  Now pin one side of the gusset to your lining with the WRONG side of the gusset facing the RIGHT side of your lining piece.  I know this goes against everything you've been taught but trust me on this one.  Now you need to sew WITHIN THE SEAM ALLOWANCE.  This line of stitching is just to hold it in place until the final step.  Repeat with the other side of your lining.

Now fold and press the edges over you just sewed.  This makes the last step easier.  Just ignore what looks like a sewn seam at the side.  I had to unpick  Angry 

Unfold the edges you just pressed and place your two lining pieces together folding and catching the gusset in the seam.  Sew both of your side seams.

Finish sewing your lining piece - bottom and bottom edges, like the jordy.

Sew your outer like the jordy then fold and press the top seam allowance towards the inside.

Pin your handles to the inside of the outer bag.  Now place the lining inside the outer bag and pin in place.  This is where the pressing you did previously makes it easier now. 

When sewing this edge take care around the edges as it can take some manipulating, depending on the width of your gusset.  And what it looks like sewn:

The final bag!  Woo Hoo!!   Grin  You will need to add a zipper pull if your zipper pull thingy is too small.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2007 11:13:00 AM by jMi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
maddiekins

that's excellent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006 12:30:21 PM »

that looks great! i love the design in the middle... was it on the fabric or did you put that on yourself? either way, i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all we were searching for was someone or something to believe in. i guess that's why we got each other.

-c.m.
xveganettex
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006 12:31:01 PM »

pretty! it looks so professional! good job! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Clarity
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006 12:56:29 PM »

It looks "shop bought" I like the way you split up the mid section with a base colour. How did you get the curvy design on it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006 01:05:21 PM »

Maddiekins & Clarity:  The design in the middle of the bag was already printed on the fabric.  It was curtain fabric.  I liked the design too, so I centered that in the middle of the top section.  I guess if you wanted to recreate something like this, you could make your own stamp like that using.....I think in the US it's called Fun Foam.  But you know what I mean, that thin foam-type stuff that can easily be cut with scissors, then glue it onto either thick board or wood.

Thanks for your kind words.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
weeza
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006 01:22:59 PM »

That is one excellant bag.  It looks so professional.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flickr pics of my projects here.
smoon26
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006 02:08:20 PM »

I think this is really nice!  i wish I would get around to trying the zipper in the top! 

Very good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GeorgiaN
Fierce Kitten Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006 04:51:23 PM »

VERY nice! I wish I knew how you got that zipper dipped in there on the gusset.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Georgia Nelson
Fierce Kitten Studio
http://www.fiercekitten.com/
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006 05:19:19 PM »

Smoon26 & GeorgiaN:  My friend wants me to make her mum one for her birthday.  I can do a tutorial on the zipper thing when I am doing hers if you want?  I'd try to explain it, but I'm not too good with words.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MizPants
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006 06:38:59 PM »

Wow, that's great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use Architectural Desktop ADT 2007 CURVED ROOF
How to use Architectural Desktop Wall Cleanup at Floor Lines
How to use Architectural Desktop Network Tool Palattes Part 1
The Flexibility and Changes of Fashion
DIY Steampunk Hardware Chess Set - Gomi Style TV
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...