A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
701 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can we as swappers submit feedback???  (Read 2166 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mellyp

QFA - you know you want to...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 17, 2006 10:59:25 AM »

i searched this board for awhile and didn't find the answer to my question - i apologize if i am posting something that has already been discussed but i couldn't find anything quite like what i was seaching for: there are many threads relating to organizers posting feedback from swaps but nothing really for actual swap participants to give feedback on their partners.
i noticed that a recent swap partner of mine is currently MIA from a swap right now, so just out of curiosity, i did a random search for her username and there were at least 3 previous swaps that she was either MIA/extremely late without asking for an extension or being flagged as a potential flaker. i know we can't expect organizers to have the time to check each swap participant this way - especially if their profiles don't reflect this info. when i started to have problems with my partner i was in contact with the organizers and while they were very helpful i was disappointed to see that my partner received "positive" as the feedback on her profile for our swap, without any mention of her lateness or the multiple attempts to contact her that went unanswered. i am just wondering if there is a better way to keep track of this kind of participant history...is there some way that we can help the organizers to weed out potential flakers? maybe some kind of a feedback form that we could complete at the end of each swap, it could be pm'd to the organizers when we contact them to let them know we received...?
thanks for listening -
-mellyp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alberta alberta - crafty goodness for you and your home
albertaalberta.etsy.com
http://albertaalberta.blogspot.com/
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006 11:33:22 AM »

It sounds like a good idea, but it may also be a pain in the tushie to implement.  The other thing I can see also counting against such a system is it could be easy to abuse.  I would like to think that no one would ever post a negative nasty just for spite, but I also would haveliked to think that flaking never happend, and we *know* it does.

Like I said a good idea I'm just not sure how it could be implemented without being unwieldy.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
mellyp

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006 12:49:12 PM »

yeah, i can see where it could go wrong. maybe if it were limited to feedback regarding the perameters of the swap (no commenting on quality or skill) with specific questions to be answered regarding time frame and communication with partner. Or maybe if it were only used in times when the partner had to contact the organizers regarding problems - those people should be red flagged at that point already.

it's hard to figure out ways to restructure a project based on benevolence. i do think that we as participants should be allowed to submit feedback, i think that is the missing link in the feedback/profile process.
thanks,
mellyp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

albertaalberta.etsy.com
nix kisses
mischief maker

like butterflies in the Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006 01:23:14 PM »

I think most of the time things go fairly smoothly and there isn't any real need for participants to give feedback. I think what you (or anyone else that has a reason to weigh in on feedback for a specific case) should do is PM the organizer and/or the swap mods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mellyp

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006 01:58:33 PM »

thanks for your input nix kisses- i mentioned earlier that i did pm the organizers as soon as i had problems, and i continuted to keep them in the loop. even tho i communicated with the them the info wasn't acknowlede within her profile so the swapper went on to flake, which is when i found out her track record of doing this multiple times in the past.
i submitted my idea as a queary to leah's swap survey - all we can do is try to give her ideas to help make the process smoother as we're the ones dealing directly with each other and we have the good gauge for what is working and what is not.
-mellyp
THIS ROCKS   Logged

albertaalberta.etsy.com
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006 02:09:43 PM »

I do worry about the quality and skill.  I am currently crafting for my first swap and one of the items I made turned out.....well.....below my standards.  So I my plan is to send it anyway with a note that says it didn't turn out the way I had hoped and I'm going to send something else too to make up for it. Luckily it wasn't the large item!

Now, maybe my partner will love it and won't even notice the goof, you know how that can happen, we are our own worst critics. But if not, I would hate to not be able to swap ever again because something I made turned out not as great as I thought it would. Especially when I acknowledged that fact that I messed up and made something extra to make up for it!

But I do agree that if someone is a chronic late sender or they have chronic problems then that should be noted on their feedback.

On the flip side, people should be able to note when someone does REALLY positive things.  That way swap organizers can pair an over achiever with someone who had a previous partner flake. You know to help build back their faith in the swap process?

Perhaps a feedback survey form can be created that can be connected to a person's profile?  The same format that is used to create a poll should work for this purpose too.

Those are my ideas for what their worth......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006 02:18:07 PM »

that might be a good solution to my concern about things getting utterly unwieldy.  I wonder how much space per swapper it would take though to have the extra form attached (and that may become a concern)  Maybe limit things to really good or really bad (chronic lateness, repetitive flaker that kind of "bad") to save space so there could be a longer list going back (rather than say, the last six swaps the last twenty or so.  Makes it easy to see if things going goofy is just at one time [like the person signed up for a things then had a dear relative get sick/die or suddenly get transfered by work across country] or if it's a pretty consistent thing.)

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
mellyp

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006 02:22:46 PM »

the great thing about craftster is that there are all different levels and skills, that is part of what you sign up for when you agree to swaps. you can't fault anyone for trying and doing what they are able to do. i can't imagine any of us would want feedback dealing with that - it wouldn't be fair or even logical.

but back on topic - i think the idea that the feedback/survey form could be something that is attached to a profile, that's a great idea. less work for the organizer and easy to access.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

albertaalberta.etsy.com
nix kisses
mischief maker

like butterflies in the Blitz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006 02:32:21 PM »

thanks for your input nix kisses- i mentioned earlier that i did pm the organizers as soon as i had problems, and i continuted to keep them in the loop. even tho i communicated with the them the info wasn't acknowlede within her profile so the swapper went on to flake, which is when i found out her track record of doing this multiple times in the past.

-mellyp

right, I was just saying that if there's still concerns after the feedback is given then maybe one of the swap moderators should be contacted.

that being said, I think the survey idea could work brilliantly  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006 02:35:58 PM by nix kisses » THIS ROCKS   Logged

k8kre8s
hand-made, not slave-made

power to the cats

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006 04:57:20 PM »

i am a swap participant who has felt a little ripped off by the apparent lack of effort on the part of my partner in the quality of their crafts. while i recognize that everyone has their own strengths and abilities, i do not commit to a swap unless i am sure i can produce a good quality product, and i put in time, effort and sometimes quite a bit of money into my swaps.

and it would be nice to recognize the swappers who put in that extra effort, which i really try to do on my own. maybe a 5-star rating system, similar to those used to rate sellers on ebay or books on amazon. the recipient would be able to *optionally* rate their partner to the organizers, to their partner's profile, or something like that.

this kind of system would help to "motivate" people who may be thinking of winging something off to try that extra bit, and maybe even weed out people who are potential flakers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Beauty Secrets Hiding in Your Kitchen
How to Get Twiggy’s Long Lash Look
Best & Worst Style
The Best & Worst Celebrity Beauty Of The Week
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...