A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,467
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help for the girl who was "never getting married" ?  (Read 7723 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fiesty

Snarky Princess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2006 05:41:28 PM »

we had a wine ceremony instead of a unity candle

Ooh whats a wine ceremony? I've never heard of that. Sounds wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucid501
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2006 06:48:55 PM »

It's neat...basically we had two small carafes of wine on a table behind the officiant (where the unity candle would normally go). One was white wine, and one was red wine. We each poured one of the small wine carafes into a larger decanter in the middle, making a "new wine". and then we each poured the other a glass from the new wine and took a drink. All this while DH's mother sang "In My Life" by the Beatles. It was really beautiful I thought, and a nice change. Here's a picture that kind of shows the glassware and stuff
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011 11:17:16 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fiesty

Snarky Princess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2006 07:24:08 PM »

One was white wine, and one was red wine. We each poured one of the small wine carafes into a larger decanter in the middle, making a "new wine". and then we each poured the other a glass from the new wine and took a drink.

Oh wow. Thats sounds so nifty. I may have to borrow that idea some day. Um, question though: how did the mixed wines taste? Did you experiment with it before hand and use a certain kind?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lucid501
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2006 07:34:59 PM »

I really don't remember how the mixed wine tasted....I don't remember it tasting bad though. Since we were only drinking a little bit we didn't bother with experimenting beforehand---I just had the caterer set out two of the wines that we had for the bar, but I don't remember what types they were. It might be fun to have a mixed wine tasting party beforehand though--maybe you'd come up with something that is actually really good  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldpaperstar

i love craftster.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006 01:33:10 AM »

"have you thought about having a two-toned dress?  If the bodice (or even the top of the bodice) was a dark colour that flattered you, and the bottom was white (or whatever), you'd have the flattering colour by your face.  You could use a shawl or some such thing for the same affect."

you should check out gwen stefani's wedding dress. i fell in love when i saw it. this could maybe work, but instead of the bottom, do the top.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

distant though i am
orange, gold and green
firing, flaming
colors surround me

http://myspace.com/goldpaperstar
nonesuch
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006 11:18:04 AM »

You don't realy need a "theme," but it can help you focus.  Love the "Swing" era idea. 

Wedding dresses have really taken off in popularity since the late fifties- early sixties. (It helps to remember the origin of the white wedding dress--not to signify anything virtuous, but to prove the woman's family was well-heeled enough to provide an impractical dress she'd never wear again.) In my opinion, it's a huge money making scam  -er - industry.  (one that I work in, actually)  Find photos of weddings during the thirties and forties, and you'll see many young women married wearing their nicest "Sunday" dress or a pretty skirted suit.   There was a war going on. 

There doesn't have to be an army of bridesmaids, either.  Your honor attendant, and your DF's, will likely sign as witnesses on the marriage license. 

You can probably have just one reception, with the luncheon early and the dancing later.  Having two receptions may give the impression you have an "a" list and a "b" list. 

The officiant at our ceremony was a minister.  He was very laid-back and helped us fine-tune our plans.  He brought up two things that he saw as being problematic at receptions:

1. Have a place for the older, youngest, or infirm to sit down during the reception.

2.  If you're not serving a full meal, that's perfectly okay.  Out of courtesy to your guests, schedule your non-meal reception at a non-meal time. 

By the way, said minister got married on his brother's farm, and afterward had a reception of barbequed food  and swimming in the farm pond.

No matter what you wear, or serve for food,  or what entertainment you provide at the reception, you will be just as married if you had a minister, JP, court officiant marry you two in your parents' home.  Best wishes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
revoltofagirl
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2006 09:19:21 AM »

I had almost forgotten about this thread!
thanks so much, everyone, for the wonderful ideas and comments. surprisingly, I haven't been planning much lately, just surfing indiebride and looking for a dress. I've found a 1950's style that I just LOVE but I need to find a pattern that would fit. (or a seamstress who can make a dress just from a picture!) Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

caradee
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2006 08:03:39 PM »

I'm sure that dress can be copied, or at least check out the vintage vogue selections, there are so many great dress patterns in reproduction lately.

Have fun with your wedding, don't let anyone tell you what to do, and make it personal and a reflection of what you two want from your marriage.  (I'm very newly married, and after 18 months of excessive planning, we had a lovely day, personal, funky and sophisticated... in the words of our guests)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2006 08:08:08 PM »

Oh my gosh, I have a Vintage Vogue reproduction of that pattern! (well, really similar anyway) I don't know the pattern # off the top of my head (I'm at work) but when I get home I'll post it. PM me if I forget. I bought it from the Vogue Patterns website, but have been too intimidated by it yet to try it, so have no idea what it's like to work with...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2006 10:27:44 AM »

Oh my gosh, I have a Vintage Vogue reproduction of that pattern! (well, really similar anyway) I don't know the pattern # off the top of my head (I'm at work) but when I get home I'll post it. PM me if I forget. I bought it from the Vogue Patterns website, but have been too intimidated by it yet to try it, so have no idea what it's like to work with...

Vintage Vogue V2903. http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/voguepatterns/shop.cgi?s.item.V2903=x&TI='V2903'&page=1 The original design is from 1957.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Is Image Stabilization?
What Is Intelligent Auto? What Is Scene Mode?
Why is there a delay when I take a Picture?
What is Facial Recognition?
How Much Zoom Do I Need?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...