A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,716
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: help for the girl who was "never getting married" ?  (Read 7744 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006 07:59:59 PM »

Grin Thanks. Very Tasty! That pic's not my cake, but if I do say so myself that I liked mine much better.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2006 08:19:43 PM »

As far as the officiant, be sure you know the rules in your state.  Here in Wisconsin the officiant has to be either a judge, court commissioner, or a member of the clergy, so we couldn't just pick anybody unless *maybe* we did "ordain" them through some kind of online church thing, and that seemed kind of iffy.  We're having a judge do it -- he's a family friend of my fiance's.  His ceremony is about 5 minutes long (but we can add whatever readings, etc, we want) -- I am thrilled!  We've been to too many long, long, long ceremonies lately. 

I like the idea of having a colored top!  I've also been seeing some colorful wedding gowns lately -- in red or brown.  They have some traditional "wedding gown" details, so no one would mistake you for a guest!  Also, if you were having a semi-formal or informal ceremony, you could wear any color dress and a veil or tiara would set you apart.  Any way you go, I think you should wear something that you love and feel comfortable wearing.  Best of luck to you!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
revoltofagirl
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2006 08:56:16 PM »

I really wasn't thinking of having a veil or a tiara or anything. either flowers or "leaves" in my hair. I want something kinda flowy & earthy but not hippie, ya know? that's just one idea and I haven't seen anything remotely like what I've pictured and I doubt I could make anything like that.

I've been searching online for a rockabilly/swing dress for the reception and can't seem to find one like I want. (actually I did find one but they only have plus sizes left... gah) so can anyone help me out there?

does it matter if we have a "theme" for our wedding? (I have a theme for the reception/party however) and should I just use the reception theme for the entire wedding? (the theme being black/white/red... rockabilly/swing era) my fiance and I are both interested in so many things... in fact I think I'd love to have a classic-film-star from the 40's kind of wedding dress. anyone know where I could find something like that?

we've thought about holding the reception in an airplane hangar (my fiance is a student-pilot) but I can't really think of what would incorporate MY passion in the whole thing... (I'm an actress)... I thought about finding a theatre to do the ceremony in and/or reception but I've always said "I act on stage, not in my life" and I wouldn't want anything to seem unreal.

that cheesecake cake is lovely... though I think we'll go for something more plain Smiley and we've talked about just having huge sandwiches and such... and I know I want fresh fruit... there'll probably be lots of bubbley and alcohol... at the reception we'll have martinis (do they make plastic martini glasses? does anyone know where to find them?)

you guys are being extremely helpful, thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2006 09:02:10 PM »

Why stick with one theme? Maybe your theme could be lots of themes. Every table is themed something different?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
revoltofagirl
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006 07:34:51 AM »

having a different theme for each table is a cute idea although then I'd be thinking "wait, I don't want his grandparents sitting at the pin-up-girls table!" hah, you get the idea.

I think as far as decoration goes, it's going to be really simple. like a coke bottle with a daisy in it. when are daisies in season anyway? it's spring isn't it? would I still be able to get daisies in september?? I could always make daisies out of something... duct tape? hah. I made my fiance a duct tape rose for valentine's... I don't know if that would be tacky or not.

isn't it the japanese tradition to tie messages to cherry trees? or what tree is it? I always thought that was a neat idea ever since I saw Lost In Translation. and I thought little oragami cranes and butterflies scattered across the table would be cute. we might go to japan on our honeymoon (if we can afford to)...

I've joined theknot.com & indiebride.com, thanks for the suggestions! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jo19

one of my crew at the computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006 07:43:16 AM »

You might like to visit my website, which has pics of the things I made for our wedding  (all in just NINE weeks, with a "frozen shoulder" to boot).  I also made my sis-in-law's wedding dress, and you can view that under "Jo's pages",  click on Crafts, and Wedding Crafts.   Hopefully you'll glean a few more ideas from there.

I do hope this helps, and I hope your marriage turns out to be as wonderful as ours has.

VERY BEST WISHES, AND CONGRATS TO YOU BOTH
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alll round crafter, and designer.  Please feel free to email me.
chocoholic
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2006 04:22:00 PM »

From the girl who probably will still never get married:

From dress shopping w/ a friend, I noticed there's more bridal gowns with color in them these days.  I'm not too traditional, but I'd want mostly white.  Anyways, I saw a couple simple satin gowns that had either a sash or an obi belt around the waist to bring in some color.  The dress is still white so you WON'T be mistaken for a guest, but the color provides an accent and also you can use your sash color for the bridesmaids' dresses and maybe favors.

You said you liked sage green.  I think it'd look stunning to have an antique white dress w/ a sage green sash and flowers in your hair.  It'd work really well for a fall wedding!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2006 07:56:24 PM »

I signed up at the knot.com. I printed out their worksheets which helped me.  I think an engagement party is nice (I'm having one in April-thrown by my dad) You can also do cheesecake "cupcakes" with different flavors. You can also look for wedding dress rentals if you don't want to buy or make a dress.

It doesn't really matter if you have a theme or not but I think it makes planning and shopping easier. The main thing to remember and consider is 1) stay within a budget!!! 2) this is about the two of you and your wedding should reflect that and 3) just have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2006 06:27:16 AM »

September in Texas is not Autumn, regardless of the date on the calendar. It's Summer, with 100 degree days not uncommon. There are occasional cold front days when the temp gets up to only 90.......How about an innertubing-on--the-Guadalupe-River wedding??
THIS ROCKS   Logged
revoltofagirl
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006 10:14:30 AM »

haha, intertubing, that would be fun!

it's amazing how much can happen in a few soirt weeks... I actually ordered a dress (white with red polka dotted swing dress) and am now returning it (it fit terrible and I don't want to fork out the extra money to have it altered...) I'm pretty much shying away from white (it just looks terrible on me, what can I say?) my fiance said it was alright to have a red wedding dress (just not a black one... but black is my best color! lol) so I'm thinking a satiny red gown... and then a black and white swing dress for the reception (and it will be custom-made by a friend or this woman that my friend knows who usually makes bridesmaids dresses) so yeah.

my fiance and I have decided however to take a break from the wedding planning until after we've moved in (june first, only two months away!) because I tend to become one-track-minded and it's very much wedding/wedding/wedding when I should be packing, packing, packing! lol.

thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've been going crazy over on indiebride.com, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get a Braided Up-Do
How to Curl Your Hair With a Straightener
How to Style Side-Swept Bangs
Black, Gray and Red Wigs at the Nicholas K Fashion Show
Bumble and Bumble Hair at London Fashion Week 2012
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...