A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
754 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to get rid of the color jog when striping?  (Read 908 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« on: March 17, 2006 07:34:29 AM »

Hi everyone,
I'm about to start working on Tubey in this winter's issue of Knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html) and my friend sent me a link to her friend's blog (don't know the girl, so can't post the blog address).  The friend is working on Tubey as well.  In her pictures, she is halfway done with the body, and the color jog where she changes colors in the stripes is pretty noticeable.  I was wondering if there were any tricks to eliminating that?  In Weekend Knitting there is a note in the instructions for a felted bag that say "to minimize the jog where the colors change, work one round with the new color, remove marker, lift the old-color stitch before the new-color stitch up onto the left-hand needle, and k2tog (lifted stitch of old color and first stitch of new color), replace marker.  The beginning of the round will move 1 st to the left at each color change."

So can/should I do this for the sweater, even though I'm not felting it?  Or is it bad because I'm moving the marker, and it is a garment?  Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
chamaecyparis
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006 09:13:00 AM »

I just wrote up a whole bunch of instructions, then erased thenm when I googled "russian join" and realized I could give you a link to the exact same instructions I was trying to write, only clearer and with pictures.  So here it is:
http://www.knittinganyway.com/freethings/russianjoin.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006 02:09:38 PM »

A less complex way to get rid of that, while probably not officially "correct", is to tie the ends of the different colors together and, after a couple rows of the new color, pulling the knot tight before weaving in.  It usually makes the color change nearly invisible for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006 04:44:10 AM »

Someone posted many moons on how to do this and it worked for me.

Knit the first round of the second color, before starting the second round of that color knit through the front and back of the first stitch at the same time (through front of new color and then trough a purl bump of old color). Also at this time pull the yarns in the back to tighten the new color against the old color to help from having holes.

Doing this at the beginning of row two of the new color pulls the first row up a bit and you cannot see that jog. It is only really noticible if you look hard because it looks like there are two knit stitches in that spot instead of three, but the rows are all even so you can't tell. Works famously.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
ooglyboo
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006 09:43:25 AM »

This page has a lot of tips for preventing color jogs in the round: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/tips/jogless.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
erincatherine
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006 11:32:31 PM »

i knit a sweater for my baby niece and it is a yellow-green-blue stripe repeat, 1 row of each color.  i was told by a friend to knit into the first stitch AND the stitch in the row below just for the first stitch (i.e for blue row knit into green, and yellow below for first stitch) to eliminate jog. i did this for the whole sweater, and the jog is almost invisible, but the sweater pulls up a bit at the sides.  i think it would work really well if the color stripes were longer (multiple rows) and you wern't doing every row as i did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Healing Hair Chore for Photoshop
How to Green Screen Extract Wispy Hair in Photoshop
Sketch Tutorial for Photoshop
How to Replace Color Command in Photoshop
Macho Makeover - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...