A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,652
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Celebrating entrance into womanhood!- updated with pictures!  (Read 12395 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onecraftybitch
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2006 06:29:28 AM »

You all have some amazing ideas! I do like the idea of the calendar/journal. I know that one would have been really helpful to me. I don't know how receptive my sister would be toward reuseable pads or luna cups. Perhaps I will have to make a certificate or something that she can redeem with me when ever she decides she wants them or wants to try them.

I think that a bag for holding tampons ect is is ideal! I'll have to be on the lookout for some good fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skoobwoman
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2006 08:13:57 AM »

My grandmother threw a shoe at my mother.

Some old tradition I guess.  She threatened to throw one at me but didn't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006 05:34:09 PM »

Man, all I got was a trip to the school nurse... You are such a cool sister.

I've got two daughters who aren't ready for this yet, but I'll remember when the time comes...such good ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
katebug48
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2006 06:59:07 PM »

What a wonderful idea.  More people need to look at menstruation as a natural thing and nothing to be ashamed of.

I remember when I got mine for the first time I got new underwear, and got all kinds of different pads, and all the little accessories.  I never once felt ashamed..and I still don't. [ Thanks mom & dad  Smiley ]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gwenluvy
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2006 07:54:48 PM »

give her 5-7 pairs of black undies Smiley

my dad called it my "question mark" and he was so confused the first time I sent him out for them that I just tore the tab off the box and gave it to him the next time. lol...

I remember in school the worst thing ever was taking a tampon out of my backpack and slipping it in my pocket. The damn things always crinkled, giving me away. They make non-crinkly ones now, which when I first heard about I thought was silly, but in retrospect I would have killed for them in middle school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
dancedupapillon
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2006 08:01:51 PM »

I think a tampon case would be great! You could make it really cute, personalize it.  I also think a red bracelet would be really cool. 

I'm known for my PMS and really bad cramps, so my friend made me a menstration survival kit for my birthday last year.  She stocked it with mini heating pads, pain killers, chocolate, instant noodles, a concealer stick, and a book of Poe's short stories.  I'd add in one of those magic heating bags, some tea, and a stress ball.  Collage a shoebox or something to put it in.  Add a couple silk rose petals just for fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
AriesEJ
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006 09:40:50 AM »

I love the journal idea.  Please explain how to figure when the next period is due.  I didn't understand what the hell they were talking about and it would have helped so much (it was always a surprise for me).  After a bit she will be able to understand the signals her body is giving her.  Maybe she write down how she feels, any dreams she has.  I use to have very interesting dreams.  Also, I didn't know the headaches I had were actually migraines brought on by the hormones.  That would have helped.

Has anyone seen this swap: Menstrual Care Package #2?  (if the link doesn't work, it is in Swap Gallery)
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=98335.0

Some cool ideas here!

On a side subject: I have a son, he is so cool.  He was raised understanding it is a natural thing.  He actually has offered and gone to the store for me.  What a sweetie.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PinFish
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006 09:45:35 AM »

wow. this... this is a fantastic idea.
I got mine for the first time when i was 9, and I had no clue what was happening. I thought I was dying. My mother, who had thought she had at least a couple more years before she had to tell me about the whole thing, just sort of said "it's something that happens to girls so they can have babies."

so yeah, it wasn't important, exciting, or even embarassing. Just.. something.
I love the idea of celebrating- it really is a transition! This thread has fantastic ideas. Once my sister has kids old enough I'll talk with her about doing some of this kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tamagotchi
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006 10:27:27 AM »

This is such a great idea!  Your sister will undoubtedly look back on this as a special moment in her life.

I'm going to repeat the whole "It's Me, Margaret" thing.  How wonderful that they updated that!  I remember really enjoying that book when I was younger.  It helped me get used to the whole idea of a period in a non-scary way.  I also think a book on "your changing body", or something of that nature, would be helpful.  So few girls actually know what to expect from puberty, it's good to have a resource other than your parents.

As for the whole tampon case, I think it's a great idea, but lots of girls don't start off using tampons.  I didn't begin using them until I had begun to have sex.  A friend of mine still refuses to use them!  I think that if you're younger it can be kind of traumatic (and uncomfortable) to stick a piece of cotton up your vagina.  I also remember being extremely grossed out by using anything that didn't have an applicator and/or allowed my fingers to be several inches away.  So instead of a tampon case, maybe make a larger, more generic-sized case that could be used for tampons or pads.  That way if she's not ready for tampons she can still use your present. 

It might also be a nice idea to include some pads or tampons (or an alternative) with your gift.  Lots of companies make special products just for teens (like special slender tampons), but as a teenager I don't think I ever used them because I was too embarassed to be seen browsing in "feminine" aisle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
onecraftybitch
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2006 05:38:04 AM »

You all keep coming up with even more fabulous ideas! I know that the whole package/gift/thing is going to embaress the hell out of my sister, but I'd rather her be a bit embaressed than ashamed or scared. Taking her shopping or at least supplying her with a ton of options is a great idea..pads of all kinds, tampons, sponges,ect. I wish that someone had told me about sponges and the cup years ago! It took me until I was in college to figure all of that out!

Good point tamagotchi about the tampons. I had forgotten about not using them.

My sister is almost 12 so I keep thinking that I have plently of time given that she looks like a bean pole. No hips, no curves- still a little girl. That may come back to slap me in the face. I need to get cracking on this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Monster Puppet Eyes
How to Make a Monster Puppet Head
How to Make a Monster Puppet Mouth Board
How to Make a Monster Puppet Mouth
How to Make a Monster Puppet Tongue
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...