A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
365 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: photo marble magnets  (Read 1006 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Biggsyboop
« on: March 16, 2006 08:59:07 PM »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post!  

I made these for a friend of mine who is living temporarily in Spain to teach English.  She couldn't really bring large picture frames with her but wanted to have some pics around of her friends and family back home in Canada.  I made her marble magnets using marbles that were 0.5 to 1.5 inches wide.  I printed pics that I had in my computer as well as ones that were scanned from actual photos on regular laser paper.  I have a HP printer and printed the pics at 32 photos per sheet as well as 16 (or 12) per sheet to get the photos to a small enough size to fit (or partly fit) in the marble.  I used Elmers Silicone Clear Rubber (Warning - this stuff STINKS and is mildly toxic - not to be used when closet crafting!!) to attach the photos to the marbles, and a glue gun to attach the magnet to the back of the paper.  I then attached glitter using the glue gun around the edge of the marble.  I gave this to my best friend for Christmas when she came home for a break and just came back from visiting her in Spain and they are all over her fridge!  I didn't think they would turn out this well at all (especially just using a glue gun to attach the magnets).  My best friend loved them and when we got together to exchange Christmas gifts, our two other best friends wanted the same things made for them (Christmas '06 gift list done!).  I am putting this here more as an idea for anyone else making something for a friend because it is such a fun and unique way to display pictures.  Despite the size of glass marbles, the photos came out so well and were almost magnetized in the larger marbles.  1 thing: I bought small circular magnets for about 5$ (for 12) from Micheals and they looked too weak for the size of the marbles I was using.  I then went to Wallmart and found a stronger set of circular magnets (18 in a pack) for about 3$.  I had to keep the magnets about 4 inches away from each other to prevent them from attracting each other - those suckers are strong!  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!! Smiley  

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010 07:46:05 AM by TheSapphireMoon » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live would be an awfully big adventure...
petskin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon

I'm actually Nodsu... that means Piglet :)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007 12:52:24 PM »

even though i think you posted it , like,  sooo long ago - i just read it and got inspired Smiley i`m gonna go and check out my local wal-mart now Smiley thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.nodsu.etsy.com   * I love personal swaps Smiley*
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hollywood Holiday Glam Secrets
Anna Sui Gives Minnie Mouse a Holiday Makeover
Which Celebrity Uses Coffee Grounds Against Cellulite?
Real Housewife Kyle Richards’ Body Beauty Tip
The Secret to Self-Tanning Like a Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...