A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,932
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewing Machine Issue  (Read 945 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beantown
« on: March 16, 2006 04:42:28 PM »

Something's not right with my machine.  Lately about every other time I go to sew a seam, the bottom thread bunches up something awful and makes a huge tangled mess.  I've tried adjusting the tension both ways and it's not that.  I'm thinking it may be a timing issue.  Has anyone had this happen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
panda
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006 06:30:38 PM »

Check and see if you have a service center for your machine.  They do need adjustments, mine was doing the same thing but not any more.  Service ran me about 50.00 the adjust everything and oil it too.  Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhodora
i like giants

eyes like omens i've been told and

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006 06:35:28 PM »

That happens to me when my machine isn't catching the thread correctly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rhodora Handcrafted by Sarah Jones - rhodora.etsy.com
ComputerKids.org! - HTML help, tutorials, advertising, and ideas for your site!
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006 07:52:27 PM »

I know this sounds stupid..but I did it yesterday and I'd never done it before -- I put the bobbin in backwards!  I ended up with the same kind of thing you're describing.  You've probably already checked something silly like that, but if you haven't, it might be worth checking before going through a lot of trouble. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
Sandylin
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006 08:00:14 PM »

Yeah - I have that problem too - it makes me crazy. My sewing machine is from the late 70s, so it's pretty old in sewing machine years and it gets cranky all the time. What I've been doing is taking the bobbin out, dismantling the bobbin holder part of the machine itself, blowing it all out with canned air, then putting it all back together. It seems to work most of the time. I really need to get it tuned, but it's part of a whole table thing so it won't fit in my car - hence the procrastination. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You may be the universe's butt puppet, but I'm its right hand fist of fate." - Wonderfalls
Beantown
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006 04:10:58 AM »

Thanks for the tips!  I have been dismantling the whole bobbin mechanism so maybe I just need to do that each time?  There seems to be a lot of junk each time I do it-could it be the flannel I am using?

Also, I didn't know there was the possibility of putting the bobbin in backwards...aren't both sides the same?  I have the Kenmore Mini-Ultra.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006 05:50:42 AM »

It makes a difference which way the thread is feeding out.  You wouldn't think it is that big a deal, but it is. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006 10:28:19 AM »

Oh good, now I don't feel like such a jerk for suggesting the bobbin thing. Smiley  In my machine, you have to load the bobbin so the thread comes off the top of the bobbin from left to right.  If you don't, it will make a terrible noise, and the top thread will look great, but the bobbin thread will be all bunchy, tangled, and weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
washu
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006 01:32:40 PM »

That happens to me every once in awhile and usually if I just rethread the machine it fixes the issue--even though it was threaded properly the first time around!  Huh

Definitely dismantle the bobbin assembly and blow it out with some canned air, and rethread both the thread and bobbin.  You should clean and oil the bobbin assembly between every project.  Your instructions should tell you how to go about that.

If all that fails, it could be a timing thing that'll have to be serviced... did you run over something big?  Break a needle on a button or something?  Sometimes cheap thread is the culprit also.

Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikillbarbies
Poor College Student

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006 05:09:24 PM »

Try rethreading your machine.  Sometimes my thread will come out of the tension hook without even breaking.  I never notice until my thread starts bunching like you described.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YouTube Channel Home to my animations and video shorts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Solution For Different Hair Types
Beauty Truth Test: Color Oops hair color remover
Homemade Beauty Recipes For Shiny Hair
How To Control Curly Hair
Short-Hair Shortcuts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...