A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
439 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Short row heels.  (Read 629 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fozziebear54
« on: March 16, 2006 11:32:38 AM »

I'm trying to make a pair of toe-up socks (using this pattern as a guideline), and everything is working fine - except for the heel. I'm using short-rows, and I always seem to get this giant bulging pocket of yarn that sticks out from my heel by a noticeable amount. Yesterday I mucked around with this set of instructions, hoping that a different sort of heel would turn out better, but I couldn't get enough increases in for the sock to fit over my foot. (I absolutely refuse to rip back my sock by several rows to start the increases sooner. I'm doing a snowflake pattern, and I really don't want to have to look at that chart again until I start the other sock.) So I'm back to trying short rows.

This time around, I'm trying a series of short rows. I did a short section of them across all of the bottom stitches, and now I'm about to do some more over the stitches that will fit across my heel. Before I go ahead and do that, though, I'd like to know: will that work? Will I end up with a heel, or just some malformed lump of yarn that will eventually have to be ripped?

Also, for anyone else who uses short row heels: how many short rows do you usually have to use? If you have to increase before starting the short rows, do you short row across all of the stitches, or just the stitches that will end up going around your heel? And lastly, how many inches from the back of your heel do you usually start the short rows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006 11:46:07 AM »

I love the short row heel. I usually do short rows until I have about half of my stitches wrapped. Then I start to pick up the short rows. Wendy's pattern also does about that much 8, 14, and 8. When done, mine look like this:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
yahaira
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006 05:50:50 AM »

I usually start around 2 inches before the heel.  Im not sure what you mean by increasing before a short row, by then you should have all the stitches you need in the pattern.  I wrap I think 16 stitches (I end on the p14 row) and then start 'reactivating' them again before I start knitting in the round again for the leg. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
Fozziebear54
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006 06:54:49 AM »

I cast on enough stitches for 8 inches, which is how wide most of my foot is around. But then I get near my ankle and suddenly I've got a 9 inch circumference... and then by the time I reach my heel, the yarn suddenly has to span a total of 12 inches. And then my leg immediately goes back down to about 8 inches. Either I have an oddly shaped foot for which short rows just won't work, or I haven't been doing enough short rows. Or doing them properly. When I tried simply doing short rows without increasing, I ended up with gigantic gaping holes because of how much the yarn has to stretch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yahaira
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006 07:01:29 AM »

Im not sure, this may be one of those situations where I would need to see  whats going on.  The only thing I could think of is maybe try the ankle section with bigger needles instead of increasing stitches and then going back to your normal needle for the leg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog --->
www.bitterpurl.com

my store --->
www.pureknits.com
Fozziebear54
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006 02:17:58 PM »

I don't have access to a camera right now, but later today I'll post a picture of my foot and a couple of the sock in question.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fozziebear54
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006 09:53:30 PM »

Actually, no. Never mind. It turns out that part of my problem is that when needles are in the sock, it's much much harder to get over my foot than when i just have a piece of string threaded through all the stitches. So apparently I wasn't having any knitting trouble at all, and I should have continued doing what I was doing three days ago when I started this stupid heel. Oh well. Now I'll know what to do for the next sock.

Thanks anyway, you two. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2006 09:55:18 PM »

I never even thought to ask if you were trying it on on the needles or not. I'm glad you discovered that and realized that everything is fine! Can't wait to see the finished socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
chloe_hippy
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006 12:50:31 PM »

while we are on the topic of socks, anyone have a good pattern for an adult sized womens sock with the afterthought heel?

i found one for a child size sock, but i need on to fit me, lol, preferably made with sock yarn as i have some just dieing to be knitted, but i want to try this technique.

Carrie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Andrew Zimmern At Red Medicine
Grilling Without The Grill: Steak With Bourbon Butter Sauce
Secret Menu at Smashburger Goes to the Dogs
Sausage Fest: Homemade Links
Bacon-Themed Dinner For Dad
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...