A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
648 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please answer a survey for my research paper!  (Read 2387 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2006 06:46:04 AM »

Oh, I also agree with leelee.  I was raised around it, too.. but I also enjoy it for the reason s I stated.. relaxing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2006 07:00:31 AM »

I do crafts for multiple reasons:

It's relaxing
I like to learn to do new things
Some crafts are being lost and SOMEONE should know how to do it
It's nice to have your kids think you're cool - that's a selfish reason!!
It's fun to give things you've made too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anndisaster
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2006 07:48:33 AM »

I craft because.....
It is important to express myself in a crafty way - i don't craft constantly but if it has been a while since I crafted anything I start to get an itch. 

I like to challenge myself to come up with new things or improve on other things I have seen  - when I am on the bus or walking i am always thinking about different crafts.

I like making things that no one has seen before, or having things beforethey get really popular.  Things that can't be bought in a store. 

Things like knitting and crochet (and other needle crafts) are so traditional and have great histories. I think that people with these skills were starting to lose popularity.  my grandma knits like nobody's business and my mom used to knit but never does now. I think its important that these skills are becoming popular again.  I like that when I get old I can teach my grandkids something that I learned from my grandma.

Crafts keep me busy

I also really like the craft community - this board for example.  I has a good vibe.  It seems like generally, everyone is here to share and improve their skills and learn things, not be better than anyone else (however the chance to have a featured project definitely inspires me to craft) I have been on other boards where a lot of attitude is given and I think that it is important that Craftster is strictly about crafts.

I typed a lot.  I didn't read through the whole thread so some of my reasons might be repetitive.  If anything doesn't make sense just PM me and I can clarify it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kirstenmonster
It's garden time, huh cha cha cha cha

it's understood Zeke does it for the hood

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2006 07:56:55 AM »

I craft things because it keeps me busy.  I have problems with depression and have taken medication for it in the past that left me groggy, killed my libido, and gave me a horrible case of the trots to boot.  In one of the books my therapist had me read it mentioned creating things and keeping busy as a way to keep depression under check.  Most of the time it works too.  I also enjoy making things for the end product.  Often I see things that I like alot in stores that would just be oh so much cooler if I made them myself, changing a few things I don't like about the original I saw.  I'm finding it isn't necessarily cheaper to make things myself, but I just like the things I make more.  I do enjoy going to DIY alternacraft fairs up in chicago and buying things there, the stuff I come home with I know nobody else I know will have.  And who doesn't like getting rad handmade stuff for special occasions or out of the blue?  Making presents for xmas time and the like is always up there on the list.
The women in my family have always sewed or crafted, my grandma was a seamstress for herff jones making graduation gowns for years, sewed all her kids clothes, etc, and my mother made curtains and other things for my aunts interior design business and also made all kinds of other stuff.  It's keeping traditions alive, and it gives everybody something to talk about, "Did you see the purse your sister made last week?"  "how do I get this interfacing on right?"  Sometimes its a reason to call a family member when I'm looking for one.  I think crafting is very social.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006 08:08:27 AM by kirstenmonster » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2006 08:32:41 AM »

crafting things lets me get exactly what I want, the right size the right color, just *right* not "what's on the rack"

I got serious about crafting after I destroyed my knee in the Army.  I wasn't allowed to walk (or put any weight on the leg) for several months.  As I had been very active before it was craft (and not think about how bad it hurt and that I had to have help to go to the bathroom) or go violently, messily insane.

It still is therapeutic, if I'm doing a repetitive motion craft (my kumihimo) I can temporarily turn off the pain in my legs.  Which when it's cold and wet is a very good thing.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006 08:49:45 AM »

I just thought of something else (I don't think I said this anyway)...I don't know if I craft for this reason or if it grew out of crafting but I the sight of certain yarns, beads or embroidery flosses together..or sometimes papers, just does something to me inside. I guess the equivalent would be an emotional reaction to eating chocolate while listening to great music. I can't express it but I imagine this community knows what I mean. I think it's that understanding of what can't be expressed that makes us a community. Anyone else wouldn't certainly think I was certifiable if they knew how often I open my tin of cross-stitching floss just to look at it...or how often I fondle my scissor fobs that I made. LOLOL See? It even sounds bad. Ok..that's enough.  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006 08:56:09 AM »

The question is: why do you do crafts?

Feel free to comment further about the reasons, or to add any.

Thank you for your time!

I craft for a variety of reasons. I think the main ones are:

1) My mother always crafted so I learned from example.

2) There is something infinitely satisfying about seeing your own work; seeing what you are cable of.

3) Great outlet for creativity and makes me feel earthy/girly/artistic/whole all at once

4) Sure, you can buy "everything" in a store, but a lot of my projects are copies of stuff that is ridiculously priced. I love when you see a bag or trinket for major $$$ and you KNOW you can make it for far cheaper. There's something gratifying about that. And sometimes you can't buy everything. I make a lot of stuff because I see something I like, but it's not perfect. When you craft (usually bags) you can totally customize it to YOUR specifications.

5) I'll admit it: brag rights. I am the only girl I know who is really crafty. So yeah, I love to wear something I have made and have people compliment me on it ("Ooh, where did you get that??") and be able to say "Oh this? Yeah, I made it."  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2006 09:19:23 AM »

I craft for many reasons

1.  I spend all day doing highly technical type of work with really long hours with an extremely high stress level (although recently it has gotten MUCH better) and it is just a complete and total release to do something creative when I get home (or at lunch like right now) it really helps me keep some balance in my life and relax.

2.  I used to be very large and it is tough to find cool things including jewelery for larger women so I took a beading class so I could make my own cool stuff.  Now that I have lost the weight (different topic for a different site) I know how to restring all of the cool things I have made to fit me at my current weight and I still make cool things. They are not always cheaper but they are always much hipper!

3.  I can never find cool things for my home.  They are either too "fru fru" or stuffy so I make or alter items to fit my own style.  I have been doing that since I was a kid. Your home should reflect who you are not look like a furniture store display!

4.  I craft because MOST people appreciate a handmade gift (such as a hand embroidered onesie) more than just picking something off of a registry list. Gifts can be personalized, they mean more when they are made by hand.

5.  Recently, since I found Craftster, I have been crafting to expand the boundaries of my creativity.  I have done this by entering the craft challenges and the joining my first swap.  These activities force me to think beyond my typical crafts and I've come up with some really cool things.

6.  I craft as a part time business.  I just bought the domain name AllenKaperakDesigns .com so I can start selling my crafty wares on-line.  It is just a blank web page now but this crafting community has given me the confidence to give selling some of my things a try.  I'm not ready to quit my day job but I think it is worth attempting to sell some of my stuff.

7.  I craft because I have to!  I cannot imagine my life without creating something or my house without handmade things or being one of those people that buys everything off the shelf without any plans to alter it!  I look at everything with plans to alter it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Integrate Lightroom 2 with Photoshop.
How to Use Keywords in Lightroom 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 3
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 2
Lightroom 2 Quick Tip
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...