A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,114
Currently Running With Scissors:
745 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knot in middle of brand new skein...regular occurrence?  (Read 2088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bowtie
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2006 01:25:36 PM »

I get those all the time, probably because I buy cheap yarn. But I've also gotten where the yarn broke and someone tied it back together! In one skein they did it at least 3 times. I would have complained but I'd thrown away the label. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I went to a restaurant, and I saw a guy wearing a leather jacket, eating a hamburger, drinking a glass of milk. I said, "Dude, you are a cow. The metamorphosis is complete. Don't fall asleep or I will tip you over." - Mitch Hedburg
mamamoonie
herbal warfare!

ooooh...bright. need coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2006 03:19:10 PM »

knots, no.  but in the middle of a skein of fat chenille I found what looked like a burn/melt???  several strands burnt/melted together in one spot. Huh weird!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...feed your Head!" --The Doormouse

My personal swap status is officially "on hold till after the big move!"

NH to KS 2007!
lauriemk
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2006 04:07:57 PM »

I am working with some Lion brand microspun right now, and the first skein was full of tangles!  I spent forever trying to untangle it, but then just moved to another skein.  I should contact the company about it, it was really terrible.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2006 04:22:42 PM »

...talking about knotted yarns--I got some ribbon type yarn--it had knots and it kept twisting all over the place.  I was told by my experienced crochet friend that I was suppose to rewind the whole thing into a ball first, checking for knots and "loosening" the yarn--seems like a lot of work especially if you have a lot of yarn--I am all for trying to hide the knots but it is one of those things that I will always know where ALL of the knots are even if no one else will even notice!  Thanks for sharing a common complaint! Maybe if we all complain to the companies they will know that we need better quality control! BTW, my new favorite yarn is the microspun by LionBrand--it is so soft but a pain to work with! Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009 09:30:37 AM »

Ok, so this is sort of thread necromancy, but since the topic was already in existence...

Should I be worried about this big whole knot in the middle of the yarn? I just continued on. The knot ended up in the middle of three dc so you can't really SEE it, but I am paranoid that it could perhaps unravel. Do those knots stay pretty well in your experience, or should I just undo what I did and start with a non-knotted part?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009 09:30:49 AM by zatanna » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009 04:10:09 AM »

I have had skeins that have knot after knot after knot every few yards... it is really really REALLY annoying but sadly it is part of the deal.  That yarn technically should go in to mill ends but they don't - they just keep it going..

I have also had yarn that all of a sudden has another color worked in to the ply for no reason at all and since it is all together you can't even get that color splotch out...

And I have had yarn that all of a sudden gets massively fat and nasty for a long period of time - that you just sadly have to cut out...

I personally only start a new yarn where it can not be seen - on the edges/sides of a project if at all possible.  It is not worth that little bit of yardage loss to have it in the middle...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009 08:11:56 AM »

Thanks for the response, CraftyDeb! Yup, my little knot ball was also accompanied by weird orange fibers wrapped around it! And it's a linen color so it's not exactly complimentary, so I yoinked those out. I am making matching blankets in different sizes for a baby and a cat, so I think the cat is getting that one since it's on the edge and I am going to start a new one for the baby. I just don't want to chance it getting mucked up...this way I can just blame it on the cat if it unravels.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009 11:56:57 PM »

Ya, I hate those weird anomalies... I think these things are just the manufacturers way of getting you that whole 6 ounces of yarn in one skein!!! The random colors are to indicate to you that a splice is coming up, and I do think that they are meant to be cut out and re-spliced the way you want them to be. I don't usually leave the knots in when they come up. I have found that some are not really secure. They seem to be either cut super short or not a secure tie (like not even a basic square not!). Anyway, check out http://www.purlwise.com/splicing_yarn/ for a nice little splicing tute! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009 04:49:54 AM »

Oh no - the color change was not an act of knotting in that particular skein - I was crocheting at night - and in front of the tv and not really paying attention and the next morning I noticed that a MASSIVE area was a different color.... It was heartbreaking... It was not just a little spot - there was no knot - just a massive area with a different color in it... It was weird to say the least.  The show still went on - the item didn't need to be photographed from the back so I was told to just keep on going instead of waiting for more yarn to arrive...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
zatanna
!gnitfarc naicigaM

!ytfarC

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009 09:12:52 AM »

Thanks for the info, Javastain. Splicing looks pretty cool...I might actually like the splice yarn example better than the regular yarn!  Cheesy I think in the future I will just give up and slash 'em out. Especially since I was just making the granny square blanket o' DOOM, it's not that hard to reattach.

I am quickly learning that some shortcuts in crochet are more like shortcuts to sadness later on when your stuff is all wack and falling apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ernest Cline on Giving Away a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor
Victoria Wilson: What Are You Reading?
Bryce Andrews: What Are You Reading?
Artie Lange’s Tips for Luxury Travel
Duck Commander Matriarch Miss Kay Has a Cookbook!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...