A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
805 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun with Vinyl  (Read 35397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mo11ydo11
« on: December 06, 2003 11:40:28 AM »

I saw a purse not too long ago on Ebay that I absolutely loved.  Unfortunately, I was outbid on several occasions.  This worked out for the best, though, as it motivated me to make one similar, but more to my liking (and at the low price of 4 dollars - 1/2 of which was for the zipper)!  

My scooter purse:
http://pages.slu.edu/student/corcoran/scootbag1.jpg
Hopefully that link worked out.  But yes - vinyl is cheap and surprisingly fun to work with for purses.  

The only trouble I came across was the metal foot(?) of my sewing maching kept sticking to the white vinyl. Also, white vinyl doesn't necessarilly look so hot with holes and thread.  Black, however, looks good, and so, all the external stitching is done with it.  

Anyhow - fun, cheap, project that a lot of people will appreciate (perhaps as a cute christmas gift for a friend?)  

If anyone has any great ideas on other uses for vinyl (save reupholstering vintage chairs), I'd love to hear them!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011 12:10:53 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamtheEggman

Where's your Rubber Soul?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003 11:52:37 AM »

WOW! What a super cutie purse!! I love it! I've always thought vinyl was a way cool material to make purses and handbags from but I'm scared to try sewing it with the sewing machine (with my luck, the machine would probably break). But your purse has inspired me to give it a go!  Smiley

I found this really cool shower curtain made of a clear shiny vinyl with small hologram "retro" squares all over it. I bought it for $15 at Target (a little steep for a shower curtain, but I couldn't resist). I can't wait to make some ultra neato purses from it! Thanks for the inspiration!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Turn off your mind
relax and float downstream...
plainmabel
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2003 12:25:31 PM »

Very cool!  

To keep the presser foot from sticking to the vinyl (this is also handy when sewing with oilcloth), put a layer of tissue paper over it when you stitch.  Better yet, pick up a roller foot for your machine -- it's like a usual foot but has a little plastic roller that won't stick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2003 12:50:17 PM »

I LOVE how you displayed your project!  It looks like it's in a magazine! great picture and adorable purse  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
yardenxanthe
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003 01:09:12 PM »

Yay, love the purse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tattooedgirl

i am slowly going sane!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003 01:47:58 PM »

wow i love that purse, very inspiring!!!! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003 02:26:41 PM »

that is too cute, good job!

vinyl can be a real pain but if you've got the right tools it makes life easier... for example, you can use a teflon foot which stops sticking, or a walking foot - my favourite! they're a bit steep but worth every penny... great for any awkward fabrics; velvets, vinyls, pvc...

plus te tissue paper one always works too Grin

did you use a leather needle in your machine or just a normal needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
mo11ydo11
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003 12:24:55 PM »

thanks for all the compliments on the purse!  Also - the suggestions. I'm definitely going to use tissue paper or some such on my next vinyl project.  Also, I'm looking into foots.. I have a few different foots, but never actually figured them out (as I sorta inherited most of my sewing junk).  Great suggestions, though!  Also - did not use a leather needle - the vinyl was surprisingly soft and easy to use with my regular needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artzyfartzy
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003 01:16:10 PM »

oh lala! that purse is super cute ! and i agree the way u pictured it rawks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mo11ydo11
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2003 11:43:05 PM »

Mmm.. I just can't get enough of this vinyl stuff..It's probably because it's really cheap at Hancock right now, and is a great faux leather solution for purses and such.  I say vinyl, but it's not the ultra-glossy stuff I usually associate with the term.  This is my latest, a "pouch" in appreciation of the Descendents (a personal fave)..

Thank you guys soo much for the advice (it helps as I progress into the sewing world)...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Tilapia
How to Make Southwest Sauce
How to Use a Smoker Box
How to Cook Pork Ribs
How to Make a Herb Garden
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...