A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun with Vinyl  (Read 36030 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mo11ydo11
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2004 09:42:21 AM »

Yeah, I took a picture of the scooter and outlined it on black vinyl, cut it out, and stitched it on Smiley

thank you for all the compliments

also - all the other pictures posted are gorgeous, i've never seen (or read) a more creative bunch of people than those on craftster!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CurlyFrye
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2004 05:41:07 PM »

Long time lurker, first time poster.  Smiley

I was really inspired by this thread and had some vinyl laying around, so I made a bag too.  It turned out way better than I expected.  The vinyl really is surprisingly easy to work with!  I didn't have any problems with it sticking, don't know why.  :/  Anyway, the results:

I used a pattern for it (Simplicity 8331) which was WAY more complex than I had originally intended.  It's lined with black corduroy and has a vinyl facing.  I had a lot of trouble with the handles.  (One ended up as a dog toy!)  I tried making them completely out of vinyl, but coudn't turned them right side out.  I finally got them with one side as corduroy.  

Does anyone know how to iron a decent crease into the vinyl?

lootbystinab-  your bags are absolutely stunning!  Totally inspiring!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2004 05:45:21 PM by CurlyFrye » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2004 06:18:17 PM »

Does anyone know how to iron a decent crease into the vinyl?

I find that just top stitching the seam, really pins down the fabirc! Its instant, and adds a nice touch. I would just top stitch all around the top opening of your bag, and it will make it look at lot flatter. Nice job!

I posted my vinyl bag in the square bottom tutorial thread, but here is the one I made!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CurlyFrye
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2004 07:26:15 PM »

Wow, cool topstitching!  I wish I could have gone around the top of my bag, but it was too thick in some places for my sewing machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thewalrusisme
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2004 07:48:01 PM »

curlyfrye, first welcome to craftster!  
love the bag.. u said the pattern was simplicity but was the feather design part of the pattern? bc i think that totally rocks!! especially in hot pink like that.

also i think the cord on the straps may be a blessing in disguise since itll grip more to a shirt when its over ur shoulder..where as the vinyl may be more inclined to slip off..??  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
ctm
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2004 09:36:48 PM »

i'm gonna ask a question:

what's a good durable thread to use for stitching the vinyl?

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CurlyFrye
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2004 10:01:43 PM »

thewalrusisme- Thanks!  The feather design wasn't part of the pattern.  I drew it myself and then cut it out.  Threw it away though, so sorry I can't provide a pattern.  Even though I topstitched, I also super glued the pink to the back of the black vinyl along the outline so all of the edges would be secure.  

The cord on the straps was definitely a happy accident!  It grips better and is way more comfy.

As far as thread, I just used regular cotton/poly.  Fabric Savvy by Sandra Betzina says to use this on thin weights and upholstry thread on thicker ones.  I'm not really sure if the vinyl I used was "thin", but whatever.  It worked.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadKittyUSA33

I'm a kitty!!! A BAD ONE!!! meow...

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2004 08:30:11 AM »

ur bag is too cute! i luv it!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.' ).')     
.*  MOLLYWOOD!!!!!  * .      
(. '(.'**`'.)`'.)   Rock on!
mango
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2004 09:18:51 AM »

curlyfrye- i LOVE that bag!

when using vinyl, do you need to use interfacing, or it is thick enough to hold up on its own?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have bursts of being a lady, but it doesn't last long."
CurlyFrye
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2004 10:19:46 AM »

mango- Thanks!!  

I didn't use interfacing and it was plenty thick.  However, there are two different weights of vinyl out there.  There's heavy weight, like I used on this bag, and then there''s light weight, like you normally see in PVC clothing.  I would say that if you're going to use the light weight, you should use an interfacing.  It's all personal preference though.  Go for the stiffness you like. Smiley  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Scrapbook Layout
How to Begin Scrapbooking Online
How to Create a Word Collage
How to Make Collage Frames
How to Make a Canvas Collage
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...