A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fun with Vinyl  (Read 39325 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2004 10:23:13 PM »

hello! i've really enjoyed reading this thread, just found craftster today and it's great! i'm a screen printer and have been running a screen print company for eight years now and just started screen printing on vinyls and re-upholstering old wooden desk chairs and stools with the vinyl, also been making purses and bags too. i really am hooked on vinyl, it's such a great material. i wish i knew how to post photo's but i don't.  photo's of things we have made are up at our site though, garagesalegallery.net ..i'm just learning how to sew myself, so my friend sew's the hard stuff and i do the printing.
great work you guys! i'm really impressed with all the talent in this place!

« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2004 10:02:00 PM »

Wow, that's brilliant!  I had no idea you could screen print on vinyl.  I guess it makes sense... just never occured.  

Totally awesome though, now I really want to try it!

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2004 03:25:24 PM »

Supurb advise on vinyl purses.  I have a HUGE problem with making the straps of vinyl as well.  It ends up all twisted and uneven.  This is how I make them, please someone correct my stupid ways: 
First I fold a 4'' * 12'' piece in half.  Then I try to fold each of the  sides in about 1/4''.  Then I try to stitch these together.  Not only does this send my machine into overdrive, it also is impossible to keep this stuff folded, and pinning is ineffective.  HELP.  So, now I just use whatever random things I have lying around (such as neck ties and belts) as straps.  I have recently made one with a necktie strap.  I will post when I return home.

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2004 10:26:16 PM »

Love the bags...Love the vespa more!!! (i think it's a vespa) Vinyl rocks!!
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2004 03:56:05 PM »

Does anyone have a tutorial for this?

- Mary

I may not find it back to this link, lol, so could someone e-mail me a tutorial @ furgodwuerlivn2002@yahoo.com ? lol. thanx

Please check out my newest Blog:

opinions were like kittens, i was giving 'em away

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2004 12:36:30 PM »

super cute bag!

i'm working on a line myself.  new to craftster.
i'll post when i get some done.

going home later to rummage through all the things i've made to post them as well.

i also have my artwork on
 http://www.artish.org  under the  angie montgomery gallery
Who's house? Run's house!

Trying to keep it gold...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2004 05:12:55 PM »

Very cool!  

To keep the presser foot from sticking to the vinyl (this is also handy when sewing with oilcloth), put a layer of tissue paper over it when you stitch.  Better yet, pick up a roller foot for your machine -- it's like a usual foot but has a little plastic roller that won't stick.
Okay, I just got almost 2 full yards of clear vinyl remnant on the cheap... I have no idea how to sew with it. Do you need special needles? Special thread? I wanted to use orange thread, it's just regular Coats & Clarks double duty. Any advice from wiser seamstresses would be *very* appreciated.

>>>Whoops, just realized that there were 4 pages & all my questions were answered. Reading really pays off sometimes. I love the Descendents bag-- Sour Grapes rules!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2004 05:15:38 PM by IqJones » THIS ROCKS   Logged

All the goo we use, reviewed!
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2004 05:20:03 PM »

Hey! I'm so glad everyone likes the purses!  As for sewing with vinyl, using a leather / denim needle works best, I think, depending on how thick/tough of vinyl you bought.  However, I've found that a regular 11(?) needle works just swell.  There are a variety of threads, but I always find the Coats & Clarks to be my favorite.  Patience works best because the holes made in vinyl are a little more distinct and so it shows when you change stitch lengths or don't sew as carefully as you should.  I'd practice on a few scrap pieces to see how your vinyl takes to the holes and thread, as well as how tough it will be to handle.   Good luck on your project! 
"GenderQueer efficency and design"

Walker Huh-Uh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2004 07:32:31 AM »

more vinyl sewing tips, to get a good crease in your vinyl, fold where you need the crease, cover with a towel and iron on a medium to low temp. Yes this is melting your vinyl very slowly and is usually not fixable if you screw up your crease. Remember keep your iron teperature low, also if you keep pressure on the crease as it cools it will hold that crease. I often put my project under a heavy object to press it  while it cools.

Tips on thread for sewing vinyl, I use a Coats and Clark nylon upholstery thread. The stitching shows up better against the vinyl and matches better the needle hole size and vinyl thickness. Its also real strong and adds structure to your vinyl.
get out of my trash.

take it easy, your wired to detonate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2004 10:19:53 AM »

sorry if this question is already answered. im pretty sure i read all of the posts.---
how easy does vinyl fray? ive been thinking about doing a cut out picture on a purse and i was wondering if the edges around the picture need to be hemmed or if just regular stiched would work. also if it does fray would a regular stich with interfacing on the back stop it from fraying sufficiently???
sorry if my questions are redundant. i love all the purses everyone made they look so cool!

im going to live forever or die trying.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Living Holiday Decor
How to Create Rock Star Holiday Centerpiece Decor
How to Make a Teddy Bear Out of Old Clothes
How to Make a Star of David Decoration
How to Make a Christmas Tree Ornament
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...