A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *~*~*~Master Maternity Thread~*~*~*  (Read 9108 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Beantown
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006 01:30:04 AM »

I'm due November 2.   :-)

I'm sure it would work-just sew the side seam smaller if it doesn't seem snug enough.  The t-shirts I used were a lycra/cotton blend so they were very stretchy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafting addict!

Visit my blog!
Ellisa
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006 11:44:34 AM »

I would love to see anything I can make that would help me through the next 8 months LOL!

I love the tutorial to change the pants & skirts! I'm excited to head to the thrift store to get some supplies this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smartygirl

riding the angst train all the way to the f-word

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006 08:29:42 AM »

is anyone still here?

i'm due in january, and looking for patterns etc... i love the six-way dress from another thread, and today i'm hoping to make a couple of skirts. so far i've made one dress (a drop-waist tank dress) and a jean skirt (i just made it from jeans that were way too big, and wear it under my belly)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smartygirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006 09:34:56 AM »

okay, here goes my first tutorial... the preggo skirt. this is actually borrowed from the drop-waisted tank dress pattern i made earlier this summer. i'll write a tutorial for that eventually.

these instructions are probably more detailed than anybody needs, but i tried to write them with a beginner in mind...

step one is to measure yourself since. make a note of what you measure in the front and in the back - i wore a tank top and measured side seam to side seam of that. i've drawn a little diagram to hopefully make this clearer:

the diagram shows all the measurements i took to make the dress fit. if you're just making a skirt, all you need is:

* high-hip (4" below waist) - front (E) and back (F)
* below-the-bulge (8" below waist) - front (G) and back (H)
* and skirt length (wherever you want it) from below-the-bulge (N)

i was stunned to realize how much more fabric i would need compared to usual...

the front waistband was super easy for me, as measurement E and measurement G were exactly the same - 18". so, a rectangle 4" wide x 18" long. before cutting it out, add 5/8" seam allowance on all sides - so the final measurement for me was 5 1/4" x 19 1/4".

i'm quite hippy (i used to have a small waist before i got knocked up!), with junk in the trunk, so the back waistband is really curved to make up the difference between my measurement F (18") and measurement H (22"). it is 4" wide, just like the front waistband. since it should be symmetrical, start with a piece of paper folded in half. draw a line 1/2 the length of F, starting from the fold and curving upwards. mark down from that line 4" along the fold, and then draw another similar line, 1/2 the length of H. the two lines should be 4" apart both along the fold and at the ends of the lines. remember to add 5/8" seam allowance on all sides (except the folded edge). when you cut the pattern piece out, unfold it, and voila! perfect symmetry.

next the skirt front: fold a large piece of paper in half. the top of the skirt front should match the bottom of the front waistband, so use measurement G. divide measurement G in half and draw a line that long away from the fold. give the line a slight curve, since the skirt should be a couple of inches wider at the bottom than at the top. use your skirt-length measurement N +2" (for the hem) to determine the length of the pattern piece. make sure it measures the same length at the centre and at the sides. add 5/8" seam allowance to the other 2 sides, cut out, and unfold your finished pattern piece.

i made the back skirt basically the same way, but in two identical pieces, since i'm, uh, bigger back there. the top edge of the two pieces together adds up to the bottom edge of the back waistband (measurement H). again, add 2" to the length for hemming, and 5/8" seam allowance to the other sides (i keep harping on about the seam allowance because i've been known to forget it!)

so now you have four pattern pieces. if you're making it out of stretchy material, cut them all out of the same fabric; if you want to use non-stretchy fabric, cut all the pieces out of that except the front waistband, which will need to be stretchy.

cut two each of the front waistband, back waistband, and back skirt. cut only one of the front skirt.

sewing it up is easy!

join the two skirt backs (right sides together) along one side. join this piece to the skirt front along two sides to make a tube.

join one front waistband and one back waistband (right sides together) along the sides to make a big tube. do the same with the remaining front and back waistband. this will be the waistband lining.

take the two waistbands and join them (right sides together) along the top edge. turn right side out.

join the waistband along the bottom edges to the skirt along the top edge (right sides together), sewing through all three layers of fabric.

turn right side out and hem. that's it!

i have made two of these so far - one a grey mohair-blend knit (i lined the waistband with coton jersey so it wouldn't be too bulky) and one in black cotton twill, which i finished with a pocket, belt loops, and topstitching. right now, it is also decorated with cat hair...

i am so happy to finally have something to wear again! i will try to get my husband to take a picture later... i tried to take a picture last night in the mirror, but it was so dark you couldn't see anything...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jutybo
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2006 10:52:49 AM »

Shocked  DANG!!  That's your FIRST tutorial?!  Well done.  And thank you SO MUCH for the charts with the measurements- I've only got about a month and a half left (hopefully) until Baby Girl gets here, but none of my clothes fit me anymore.  I probably won't make the skirt since I do have one dress that fits, but now that I know exactly where to measure I plan to make some shirts if I can find stretchy enough fabric...
I for one would absolutely love to see some pics of the skirts you've made- especially since a friend of mine is newly preggo and could really use some nice-fitting skirts in a few months.  It would give me a good idea of what they'll look like if I can figure out how to make her some. 
Thank you oh so much for posting this tut!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smartygirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006 05:51:21 AM »

merci! i tried to take a photo with a really crap camera and it came out really dark and yellow?? our good camera got stolen (don't want to think about it!) so until it is replaced i am not having any luck with photography!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Drea4545

Nothing is so simple that it can't be screwed up

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006 04:48:51 PM »

Thanks so much Smartygirl!!! I'm 9 weeks pg with my 2nd and I look like I did at 14 weeks with #1! As soon as this damn morning/all day sickness subsides I will be sewing some maternity wear for myself.  I'm currently trying to turn some big t-shirts into somehow flattering tops.  I'll let you all know how it goes...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamacrikt
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2006 09:59:09 AM »

Please please please keep this thread alive! I, too, am pregnant with my second child (100 days left to go!) and was able to get by mostly in my regular clothes last time- pushed up and down to accomodate the bump. It helped that it was summer and I could bare my belly to the breeze. This time, though, I'm wider and rounder and winter's a-comin', so I need some help with making or altering clothing that doesn't look dowdy and doesn't have all that fluffy, flowery garbage that those oh-so-precious maternity stores love to push on us. Help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smartygirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006 09:04:02 PM »

i made a version of this sweater: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html well before i got knocked up (except mine has the ribbon under the bust) and i've found the 2/2 rib is so stretchy it fits me even now (i just measured today and my "waist" (or "where my waist used to be") is now 39" - a full 50% bigger than normal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellegiordano

mgcreations.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2006 03:18:48 PM »

I don't know if this has been posted, but Jan Andrea has some good instructions on how to turn a favorite pattern into a maternity pattern:

http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/maternity.html

I used it when I was pregnant and it worked.

Michelle Giordano
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sock Dolls Dance Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Kachina Spirit Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Stepping Out Painting by Carolyn Oberst
Roberts & Tilton At Art Basel Miami Beach
The Origins of Tintin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...