A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,376
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 35 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 3/16/06 - Interesting Book Signing / Craftster Get-Together Locations?  (Read 27049 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2006 10:15:37 AM »

The Women's Center where I work might be interested -they host a wide variety of events and are very supportive of the arts:
http://www.stthomas.edu/ldcw/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
meatyard

change into a nine year old hindu boy

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2006 10:21:13 AM »

Seattle? has anyone mentioned seattle?  we love you out here.

Try the Crocodile Cafe.  It is a music venue but they do host a craft show every now and again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and i don't have a drinking problem...
'cept when i can't get a drink
bluelise
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2006 10:44:21 AM »

I'd like to submit some places from Orange County, CA!

The Art Bar in Santa Ana (http://www.theartbar.net/)

The Scrapbook Oasis in Irvine (http://www.thescrapbookoasis.com/)

The Orange County Museum of Art (http://ocma.net/)

The Irvine Fine Arts Center (http://www.ci.irvine.ca.us/depts/cs/finearts/default.asp)

I'm sure the Orange County crafters out there would love to see you, Leah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm up for personal swaps. PM me for availability and ideas!
http://girlinabook.blogspot.com
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2006 11:14:58 AM »

Please come up north of the 49th - if you're going to be in Seattle, it might be worth making the three hour drive up to Vancouver, as well.  It's a huge city with lots of artsie types.  If this was a summer event, I would say to hold it in the open air on Granville Island, which is an entire island devoted to the arts and crafts community.  In the rainy months, I'd tried to see if there was an indoor space on Granville Island you could use - the lobby of one of the theaters or other buildings. 

http://www.granvilleisland.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2006 12:38:57 PM »

Insomnia Cafe in Los Angeles. It's pretty much the coolest independent coffeehouse around! It's been the setting for many films and commercials. A lot of writers go there to work. They have comfy couches (perfect for knitting and crocheting!)

I know the owners and think they would be interested in this.

Insomnia Cafe
7286 Beverly Boulevard, Los Angeles
323-931-4943

I second!! never been there, but I'm dying to meet other crafty chics in LA and this could be my excuse!!

Congrats on the book and let us know when it comes out!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
PinkyK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2006 01:30:34 PM »

I second Florida but I'm up in Jacksonville, there are oodles of crafters here, I'll even share my stash of caramel truffle coffee with you  Grin

Don't forget us crafters in Florida! What we lack in numbers, we make up for in beaches and daquiris! Wink

Anneke's Needleworks in Miami would be a great place: www.annekesneedlewo rks.com

Florida is a BIG LOOOOOOONG state so, I'm thinking come here when it's cold up there in Boston and stay a while!  Have a tour de Florida!  That is if you can justify it!

Either start or end your journey with North Florida.  Jacksonville on the east if you're going that way out or Pensacola on the West.  I say hit Pensacola even though it is a small market because they have been absolutely wiped out by hurricanes for two years in a row now and could use a visit from someone other than FEMA!  That's my push for them!

Make a stop in the Tampa Bay area some place in either Tampa, St. Petersburg (my personal fave!), Sarasota which has the Ringling School of Art and Design and museum and is winter home to the circus!

Then you have to stop in Orlando and meet the REAL people of Orlando not just the people you meet while on vacation! I lived there for five years there are some rockin people in Orlando! I'd LOVE to get back there someday!

Then you MUST get to South Florida.....Miami, Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale....heck maybe even the Keys!  Key West is chuck full of crazy crafters and believe it or not perdoghi (sp?) stands! Yes, sunshine, eccentric people, rum, and polish food! What could be better I ask you!?!

You can do what the rock bands do and do two appearances in South Florida.  There are enough people to handle it.  Plus there people down there are AWESOME!  It is a GREAT place! So full of Latin and international flavor!

I could be totally selfish and say COME TO TALLAHASSEE!!!  I could probably work something out to set you up here: http://www.railroadsquare.com/  I'm on the wait list to get studio space there.  Tallahassee has two universities (FSU and FAMU) and a Community College plus it is pretty much, the "big city" in north Florida. Big city being completely relative of course.  Visiting Tallahassee in the fall must be coordinated with Florida State Football.  Football in the south is not just a sport, it's a religion you know. However, if you are here for the Boston Collage/FSU game you can come along with me and "Team Tailgate" and I'll throw in all you can eat tailgate and decent seats to the game!  Not that I'd EVER bribe you to come to Tallahassee or anything..... Cool

Florida Planning Tips
Planning tips....unless you cannot avoid it try to avoid planning dates you CANNOT change in August and September.  Leave a day or two window at either end of your planed Florida dates if you plan to be here in August or September for rescheduling......f or that matter, although not as prevalent, October and November too.  I would hate for you to plan to be here then have to evacuate to some place else due to a hurricane.  What you don't see on the news is we evacuate A LOT.  It is smart to do so and we don't complain because well....it's 72 degrees today and we live in paradise for 90% of the time and most of the country is freezing their buns off and shoveling snow.  It is better to be safe than sorry.  We just know it is better to leave than get hit. Hurricanes are most prevalent in August through October. It is not something you should be REALLY concerned about but something you should keep in the back of your mind. 

Plus, come here NOW when it is cold there and you're sick of the cold or come here in November after the leaves have all fallen and everything has turned grey and you need to Christmas shop and you'll buy everyone on your list awesome Florida tropical things!

If you want/need any state art info please let me know.  I work in the capital and can help with that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2006 01:43:15 PM »

So many awesome ideas. You guys are too fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
simplysara

I cut the cheese the best!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2006 01:49:06 PM »

San Diego, San Diego, San Diego

There's a bar in my neighborhood called the Whistle Stop that does a Stitch and Bitch.  There is also a coffee shop there called Rebecca's.  I know the owners of a wine bar called Wine Steals that would also be interesting, they have a back room for private events.  I'm sure I could find more places, let me know if san diego is going to be on your list and I will look into venues.

(oh, and congrats on the book!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
red kitty
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2006 02:43:37 PM »

well, San Francisco has soooo many places. i couldn't even begin to list them.

And how about Northern California? We rock the crafts up here too. I even work for a local independent bookstore chain that would totally have the space for a craft-along.

i can hook you up with a contact, if ya like...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
xoxcitylovexox

Hi my name is Jessica I have a yarn buying problem

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2006 04:38:49 PM »

i'm not sure exactly where, but i definetly think you should come to RI!!

maybe a local JoAnn's would host it, or a Michael's craft store... i have no idea, but that would be awesome if you could come!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 20 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Undone Updo
How to Create Long Sexy Waves
How to Do a Fishtail Braid
Professional-Looking Blowout at Home
Hair Like Shakira: The Final Cut
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...