A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
593 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New to scrapping - Question about paper inserts  (Read 1740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wandalicious
« on: March 15, 2006 09:06:47 PM »

This may seem like a very DUMB question, but I bought the CUTEST 12x12 Mickey album to put all our DisneyWorld 2005 pictures in (bought it online) and when it arrived it had no pages in it, just the page protectors! Since I've only done two Creative Memories albums before (and those come with the pages) I was fairly stumped. I went back to the website (Joann.com) only to find that they don't sell the inserts anymore (album was on clearance). It's 12x12 side loading postbound.

So here's my question: if you are not using a CM album, and the dumb album doesn't come with the page inserts, what do you use for the paper that you put all the pictures on? Cardstock? Is there a preferred kind?

I bought the cutest paper, stickers, punches, etc at DisneyWorld. They have a whole scrapbooking store! I went nuts! But now all the stuff is just sitting here because I can't figure out the paper thingie. I've been looking for refills everywhere. I guess they don't exist.

I promised myself I'd do this book before we went to Orlando again (two months from now!) so help from more experienced scrappers is greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006 11:05:51 PM »

What is the brand of the album?  You might check Ebay for pages.  Really, most albums should come with SOME pages, I would think, but then, the only albums I own are a couple of CM albums and a post-bound top loader... Is that what you have?  (Geesh, I just thought of that...) a top loader?  It has the page protectors with a slit at the top? 

Ugh, it's obviously late... I suspect that's what you have.  That's how it is supposed to come.  You make the pages on whatever paper you want and then you just slip them into the protectors and off you go.  If you've mostly done CM albums, then you're probably used to white (or black or natural or pre-printed) pages that you just add accents to.  You can still do this with a top-loader, you just have to find white paper, but the toploader opens up some possibilities for whole-page design, which is mostly what the 12x12 scrapbooking papers are for.  Now's your chance to go nuts.

Here are a couple layouts I've done with my top-loader.  It's kinda nice because the pages are easy to work on one at a time, just pieces of paper, and easy to rearrange, too.  (Incidentally, my book is an 8 1/2 x 11 inch, and most of my layouts have more than just one pic on them.. these were focal pages.  Cheesy )

Here's one where I just used two colors of plain cardstock and some accent stickers, and a little frog stencil I colored and cut out:

(We call this the frog princess picture.  I'm not sure why... but it seemed to fit, so I carried the theme into the scrapbook page.)

And here's one where I basically only used a piece of pre-printed scrapbook paper, cut in certain spots to act as photo corners, and one sticker to set it off.

(That's my daughter at 2 days old.  She's got a raccoon mask from the UV goggles after being treated for jaundice, but I'm SO glad my hubby is a photographer... So many hospital photos are less than stellar examples of beautiful-baby pictures.  < /Shameless fawning >)

It's a little more versatile than the CM books, because most CM consultants will tell you not to use whole background papers or it will make the book too heavy, what with the pages already being heavy stock.  This has merit, but I think it's more fun to use backgrounds sometimes, too.  (And I do in my CM books, even though I WAS a consultant...  harumph.)  Anyway, the point is, you can really go crazy iwith a top loader.  It's easy to feel a little stiffled by a CM book.  They're not cheap, consultants can be pushy about the "right" way to do a scrapbook, and all their accessories look the same.  (So people don't have to think about making scrapbooks, which is exactly what my director told me...  harumph again!)  You can use heavy cardstock, or lighter weight scrapbooking papers, or even multiple large layers, in a top loader because there isn't an already-heavy background to weigh the book down.  You can pull the pages out and rearrange them without a lot of unbinding and rebinding, so there's less need to plan ahead all the pages you're going to make and how they relate to each other.  Really, you're starting with even less than a blank canvas.  So you can pick any canvas you like!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006 11:06:56 PM »

I just re-read your post.. so it isn't a top loader...  the slits are in the side.  It's a side-loader.  (Duh to me...  geesh.)  But the same principle is at work here.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
wandalicious
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006 12:50:19 PM »

Lothruin, THANK YOU! This is really helpful.
So I will check E-Bay for the refills (I think it's an EK album?) and if I don't have luck, then I will just get some nice cardstock from Michael's, etc. and add my full page Disney paper to the top, then the photos. Some of the templates came with the Disney pages to get you started (I understand that not everyone is as creative as CRAFTSTERS) but then on some I saved napkins, ticket stubs, etc. to really make it a collage of our experience.

I'll post pages when/IF I ever finish.

OH, and I think CM is coming out with a new larger Disney album, so I have my eye on that for 2006. At least it will have nice pages already in it! none of this running around stuff...

AND your pages are very beautiful. You are clearly very creative. I love the stencil and your use of colors!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlygirl
It's ho-made

I love chocolate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006 10:01:42 AM »

Hi Wanda!  CM scrapbooks are unique in that you scrapbook right onto the pages.  A top loading scrapbook allows you to choose whatever background you like...You can scrapbook onto a plain 12x12 piece of cardstock, or you can use a blocked page like SEI papers sometimes have.  I am a big fan of SEI scrapbooking kits.  http://sql.shopsei.com/sei/menu.php3

For a Disney album, what I recommend is that you purchase a page kit...they usually contain about 20 pieces of 12x12 scrapbooking paper, stickers, letters, embellishments, etc.  You can get Disney from Joann.com and if you need a 40% coupon you can pm me, I'll forward one to you. 

I actually got my Disney scrapbooking kit from Disneyland when I was there!  Smiley

Have fun! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist."
angelofmusic

Cinderella's Castle: from the Rose Garden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006 05:14:35 PM »

Ok, I'm too lazy to add quotes, so bear with me.
First, you said Disney has an entire scrapbooking store.  Where is it?  Can you buy their stuff online/do they have an online store?  All my Disney albums are magnetic albums, so I'm fixing to redo them once I've completed some old albums this summer.
Second, I've only used the page protector type albums.  If I want a neutral background, then I use cardstock as my base.  If I'm using a patterned paper, then I'll usually just put that in the page protector without cardstock.  The only time I mount it on cardstock is if I've used lots of heavy embellishments like metal items.
Third, if your book is EKSuccess, check their website for refills.  If you still can't find them, you can sometimes buy the cheap-o store brand 12x12 refills and punch your own holes.  It's a lot of extra work, but at least you have extra pages.
Last, I've never used CM books (though I have a bunch of their other stuff).  Are they worth using?  A friend of mine always creates her pages on 12x12 pages then glues them to the CM album pages.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frogs have it easy...they can eat what bugs them!
wandalicious
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006 10:41:05 PM »

Angel,
Sorry this post is so late! I'm lazy too!
The Disney store is on Pleasure Island in Orlando, FL; I think it's called World of Memories or something. It's a stationary store that has albums, photo frames, books, stickers, coloring books, as well as their scrapping kits. I bought two of their scrapping kits, so I'm going to use the pages that came with that, as well as some neutral card stock as you suggested.

Yes, my book is EKSuccess, but the pages don't have holes; they are just page protectors (that have the holes) so I guess the company assumes that you will slide your completed pages in, but since I'm a newbie... that wasn't intuitive to me.

Last, I LOVE the CM books. I like that you can move the pages around and they are sturdy and easy to work with. You don't even have to use paper if you don't want to - you can just put the photos down and journal or use sitckers. They also sell page protectors for the CM books if you want to protect photos or use embellishments. A good friend at work is a CM rep, and she got me started, so maybe I am biased??? Their stuff is really top-notch.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Store Rice
Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 1/2
Grilled Sambol Shrimp Recipe Part 2/2
Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...