A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swapping w/ crafters who smoke? Opinions please  (Read 6807 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMeshell
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2006 07:17:26 PM »

Good points GraceOblivious and crafty_dame, I never thought about the cat hair allergies actually, my cat climbs all over everything in my sewing room (and sometimes gets a nasty shock of stepping in glue or paint Tongue) whether I like it or not.

So I guess a simple 2 questions allergy add-on would be a great idea, not just for smoke related things Smiley

*goes away hoping that she hasn't triggered any cat allergies with her swap packages* Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2006 07:27:03 PM »

I also really read this whole post with interest. I never wanted to offend anyone. I am a non smoker with extreme allergies although on good days I am fine but other days I am totally screwed. How does one say that in a post? From one day to the next I have no idea what will trigger a problem for me. I am extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke but growing up my parents thought I was just sickly and never thought they were making me sick. No one really knew then either.
At work we have several extremely smelly people who come into the store often and my nose runs so bad it's embarassing. My boss laughs at me. But then I come home from work and everyone in the house craves fries and burgers or onion rings so who am I to complain about smells?  Cheesy
But I think adding the questions reguarding allergies and sensitivities should be added to the swap questionaire and no one should feel persecuted or embarassed by this question. Honestly filling it in should be very comfortable and not cause someone to feel bad by it at all.  We also sell tons of ice cream and candy and peanut contact is extremely possible in our store and people ask about that with caution and concern so here in the swaps this should be thought of in the same context. Just life like your favourite colour! But this is a very good discussion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cebsme
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2006 07:35:52 PM »

This is an interesting topic for me, i non swapper as of yet because i have to be careful. Im extremely allergic to things that arent things people would normally think of being related to crafts but just daily life. The thing is daily life can sometimes get into crafts.  Like milk products of any kind, i cant drink it yes, but i cant even pick up a gallon of milk or sprinkle cheese on something for my hubby without breaking out in hives.  Avacados, i was at the grocery store, and not thinking grabbed an avacado for my husband and i had to run to the bathroom litteraly in tears because my hand burned so bad because of touching it.  Im also allergic to glycerin, so if someone washed there hands right before working on my things with out rinsing them very well i could get a bad rash from touching it. So its not just smokers....its normal people..lol but after divulging those pecuiluar allergies i dont feel normal.. that is even it either im allergic to a lot of stuff...my husband usually handles all our mail and stuff to see if he can detect anything that im allergic to....usually im safe though....just have to wash things sometimes and it goes away
THIS ROCKS   Logged
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2006 08:43:37 PM »

I hadn't really thought about this much.  I have a cuddly lap cat that jumps up on my lap the moment I sit down and likes to help me craft. Wink  Lately I've been trying to keep him off my swap items just in case my partner is sensitive. 

I'm a bit sensitive to cigarette smoke and highly sensitive to most perfumes.  But if the question posed is just "do you have any allergies" I might not think to list those things.  I love how crafty_dame worded it:
1. do you have any allergies your partner should know about? please specify. (pets, smoke, chemicals, scents, etc)
2. will your swap package be exposed to anything that might affect someone with allergies? please specify. (pets, smoke, chemicals, scents, etc)
I think (for me at least) this would remind me of certain things I'm sensitive to but don't think much about day to day (because everyone I know is aware and does their best to help "protect" me).  This would also help me remember that the person receiving from me may have problems with my cat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
tsubomi_chan

No place I can't be

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2006 09:15:33 PM »

I'm organizing my first swap and put on the questionarire "Anything else you want your sawp partner to know? (sizes, aversions, allergies, etc)
" 2 people said they had cat allergies, so I put them together. I also asked someone that I might pair to another if she smokes, beacuse the other person stated she is allergic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ruwena
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2006 09:36:52 PM »

I personally think its the responsibility of the swapper to list what they are allergic to. I think that its my responsibility to warn people that they will kill me and my boyfriend by cooking seafood in the same house that we are in. I can't expect them to know. Its my responsibility to inform my host that if he makes that steak with beer I will become ill. As a smoker I am looked down upon and treated like crap by non-smokers so its not something I want to broadcast here ya know? I don't smoke in the house right now but most likely when fall comes around again and I can't take the cold I will smoke in the house again. But if you warn me that you are sensitive to cigarette smoke I will go out of my way to keep your swap item in a room that I don't smoke in, to air it out when I complete it, to wash it and send it immediatly after, and to air it out if it can't be washed. But technically smoke is not an allergen so therefore you can't be allergic to it...

Chemical Sensitivity (taken from: http://www.webmd.com/content/article/5/1680_50308
Some people report that they react to chemicals in their environment and that these allergy-like reactions appear to result from exposure to a wide variety of synthetic and natural substances, such as those found in paints, carpeting, plastics, perfumes, cigarette smoke, and plants. Although the symptoms may resemble some of the manifestations of allergies, sensitivity to chemicals does not represent a true allergic reaction involving IgE and the release of histamine or other chemicals.

Also I liked what this lady had to say as I am very sensitive to perfumes and other scented items (which I warn my partners about) up until now I thought it was an allergy but I found out today that its not its a sensitivity. I always thought it was an allergy because I've broken out in hives from using a new soap.

http://www.sequentialtart.com/archive/jan01/cv_0101_1.shtml
I smoke. Not a lot, but enough every day to use that phrase to describe myself. I could go on about the reasons why I do so, but this rant isnt about smoking. Its about another form of air pollution entirely.

See, I try display some courtesy when I smoke. I only smoke where I am allowed to do so. I try never to smoke around babies or anyone who is allergic to smoke or has some other problem with it. I dont smoke in my apartment, as my husband isnt a smoker. I dont smoke in restaurants, unless everyone in the smoking section seems to be doing so. I feel for people who dont wish to encounter second-hand smoke. They shouldnt have to suffer for another persons wishes. I totally understand that we all must share the air.

The air pollution I am speaking of is perfume. While Im not allergic to cigarette smoke, I am HIGHLY allergic to most perfume. This fact has made my life a bit of a living nightmare. When I used to ride buses, I used to have to change seats several times a trip just to avoid the smell of other peoples perfume and after-shave. Sometimes, Ive had to get off the bus in below freezing temperatures just because the smell had wafted into the entire bus.

Sometimes, not even that worked because I had already breathed in the offensive smell. I could feel my throat close up, my eyes water, and my nose become stuffy. Worst of all, I could feel that dreaded headache come on; the one that could often keep me in bed with a damp towel over my eyes the rest of the day. As you can pick up on, I am not talking a minor health problem here. Whats more, nothing but avoiding perfume could help me. Ive tried prescription and over the counter drugs and they only did very little to help me through my allergy attack. I take Quercitin, a natural anti-allergy product now and that helps me a little. I still have to carry sinus spray, anti-allergy medication, and headache pills with me wherever I go because I never know when the perfume and after-shave brigade will strike again.

Now that I drive to work, its somewhat better. However, I still have to do my little waltz to avoid people who wear perfume every day. The elevator, in particular, can be a real challenge. Whenever anyone comes on with perfume and after-shave, I have to try and hold my breath until I hit the 18th floor. Sometimes, I have to get off the elevator at a different floor and walk up the steep steps, as at least there, I wont have to encounter the offensive odor. Restrooms are even worse because I am trapped, to an extent. Often times, I have been caught in the middle of doing what comes naturally when I hear the dreaded squirt of perfume being sprayed. Some people like to freshen up their perfume in the ladies room, you see. So, I have to leave, holding my breath, bolting out of the room like a bat out of heck, not even having the time to wash my hands (I have to go to another bathroom in order to do so). I get some weird looks from people who think Im either unfriendly because I dont pause to say hi or they think I have no idea what good hygiene is.

Ive tried complaining a few times, but I get these weird looks from people as if they couldnt understand why I would have a problem with something as innocent as perfume or after-shave. So, I dont complain, even though I have a right to do so. Instead, I do a lot of running, a lot of dodging, and a lot of holding my breath.

Believe me, a little perfume or after-shave will not hurt me. Those who use the products in moderation are just fine in my book, as I can take the odors fairly well in relatively small doses. Live and let live, I say. But, those who slop on enough perfume or after-shave to choke a horse get on my nerves and hurt my health. I get angry because these people are clogging up communal air just so they can smell nice, not knowing or caring who else they might hurt in the process. As someone who works hard not to smoke around people, I dont think its very fair. We all have to share the same air.

Honestly, I wouldnt complain if I were the only person who had this problem. But, Im not. I see people write in to Dear Abby all the time with the same problem. I have many friends who have nearly as bad allergy attacks as I do who complain about the same thing. It makes us feel sick and reduces our productivity in the work place.

If you do use perfume or after-shave, please do so in moderation. Second-hand perfume is as harmful to some of us as second-hand smoke is to others. Like the old hair oil ad once put it, a little dab will do ya.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SapphireWind
Who needs money? My man does DISHES!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2006 04:41:58 AM »

If I had to place in a swap questioner that I was a smoker and someone flat out refused to have me as a partner because of it I would feel very discriminated against to be honest.  As a stress smoker I don't think it's fair that someone wouldn't want to swap with me because of an occasional  bad habit that I do quite literally outside of my home. ::: cringe ::: That would quite honestly hurt my feelings.  I'm absolutely anal about smoke not being inside my home because on top of not wanting to pollute my children and family with second hand smoke my daughter has allergies, they just had to change her meds yesterday because it's pollen central around our neighborhood right now, and I really don't want to add smoke to her problems.

Heck I myself am allergic to cheep perfume and cottonwood pollen, but I would never say to someone "no thanks you're wearing brut,navy, musk, vanilla fields, old spice, or anything not first run high end from Dillards"  Tongue  I just air stuff out that comes from my friends homes and will do the same for craftster items if I have to, oh and febreeze, lysol, and some candle scents make my sinuses go wacky too  Wink

I craft items for sale quite frequently, have a sensitive nose myself, and I have never had someone say my items smelled anything but fresh and new. I would never allow weird smells to sully my fabric stash; I freaked when our house smelled like tilapia for 2 days after we had the cajun blackened fish with the gouda cheese sauce and smashed garlic potatoes, lol.

I think it would be less stressful and offensive to everyone if we went with the idea of listing allergies that people may have, because their are all kinds of people (smokers included) that just cannot handle different olfactory influences.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shirring Video Tutorial(dress) (Elastic Thread)http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=89421.0
Info About me for swap partners :-)http://home.comcast.net/~sapphirestitches/[/url
Ezri_B
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2006 02:03:32 PM »

Ok, everyone who is a smoker and wants to know if their stuff stinks, can craft me something, send it to me and I'll let you know. Cheesy

I'm willing to do this to help you all out Grin

Just kidding of course.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jo19

one of my crew at the computer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2006 02:35:32 PM »

I feel I dare not join in swaps too.  I'm a heavy smoker, PLUS 19 cats own me.  I'm also vegan, so wouldn't like to receive anything that had once had a "face".   I'm a total lost cause I reckon.
Jo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alll round crafter, and designer.  Please feel free to email me.
ruwena
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2006 02:39:05 PM »

One of my favorite lines from Eddie Izzard Dress to Kill is :

What have you been smoking? You certainly haven't been smoking in a bar in California thats for sure. Ah yes no smoking in bars and soon no drinking and no talking.

Earlier I posted that I wasn't going to swap anymore...but having since taken a hot shower to wake up and getting a lovely note from a friend I realize that I just can't quit swapping...I do plan on quitting smoking eventually..like in the year 2009...I'm just not ready to quit yet and I have tried. It doesn't work if you aren't ready. So until we've all quit (which I'm sure the government will make us all quit someday) it is up to you to make your allergies known. And Jo19 there are some of us who smoke, have cats and are willing to make sure what we make you never had a face. I for one would find it to be a bigger challenge to craft for you (since supplies are a little harder to come by) and therefore would enjoy myself so you should try swapping someday Smiley
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006 03:43:10 PM by ruwena » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Apply Sophisticated Christmas Party Makeup
How to Apply Shimmery Eye Party Makeup
How to Do Paint Splash Nail Art
How to Do Candy Stick Nail Art
How to Do Fairy Lights Nail Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...