A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,216
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swapping w/ crafters who smoke? Opinions please  (Read 7127 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006 09:44:44 PM »

I know when I sell products, regardless of what it is, I always put in the auction.  This comes from a smoke free but NOT a pet free home.  If you are allergy sensitive please let me know and I will wash/package you package outside of my home.  I have allergies and I am sensitive to cigerette smoke.  I am also allergic to other people's pets ( I know it doesn't make sense)...maybe this should be a question that gets asked in the swap form?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hertrigger
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Vacation

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006 09:45:12 PM »

I think that I'd have a really hard time telling someone that their stuff smelled. I mean, someone put effort and time into making it, so how do you delicately tell them their goods have an odor? Especially if the person who made your items happens to be someone who makes a living from their crafting? I don't know, it gets tricky.

it is a really tricky sitation

i think this goes along with getting stuff that isnt well crafted.. i guess you could just say thank you, maybe wash it (if its washable)..

though alot of people dont mind, the people who DOOOO mind, put it in any information for their partners
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- thepromoshop.etsy.com

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
hertrigger
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Vacation

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006 09:46:22 PM »

I know when I sell products, regardless of what it is, I always put in the auction.  This comes from a smoke free but NOT a pet free home.  If you are allergy sensitive please let me know and I will wash/package you package outside of my home.  I have allergies and I am sensitive to cigerette smoke.  I am also allergic to other people's pets ( I know it doesn't make sense)...maybe this should be a question that gets asked in the swap form?

thats a great idea too.. because i have 2 little dogs and a HAIRY cat, and they love to sit on the things that im making.. although, i do take all the hair off it it still has somewhat of something on there still.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- thepromoshop.etsy.com

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
viciouskittie
one crafty bitch

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006 09:49:59 PM »

yeah i have hairy ass kitties too. i try to get it all off of whatever i send. but its next to impossible...i think id rather have something with kittie/dog hair than smell like stale smoke. i never really thought about it too much on here. ive been lucky so far. but i think adding in that you have pets or smoke on swaps might be a good idea. id feel horrible if i sent someone to the hospital due to an allergic reaction.!!! Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hi my names kate, and im a craft addict..

www.wists.com/veganedgekate
kiki*eks
"Alis volat propiis"

if i'm online i am procrastinating

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006 11:41:33 PM »

This has been on my mind a lot lately and have been struggling with myself if I should post such a question. Thanks for starting off the thread. If any part comes off as bitchy/rude or unappreciative in anyway, I apologize in advance, because I really don't mean it to be.

As for swaps - I think it should be added to the questionnaire for every swap. Do you smoke? Do you mind receiving from a smokers household (even if the crafter does not and their SO smokes-it's still gets absorbed)? Just as if a person would like to not receive anything with pet hair on them - I live with two cats and I try my best not to craft a fabric or yarn item in the same part of the house as them but I wear cat hair daily and some may rub off. I would like to know if others have pet allergies or has a dislike to pet hair. If so then I wont pick them or I will try and pick a different type of craft that doesn't attract pet hair.

I hate to say it but I have received a couple of packages that smelled like stale ashtrays. Smokers just don't smell it the same way as nonsmokers. Sorry ladies  Embarrassed I think the reason we don't say anything is that we are very appreciative that someone chose & took the time to craft for us or send us something off of our wish list and we don't want to sound like a complaining brat when it was a very nice thing of them to do.
I have allergies to tobacco smoke and a dislike to the smell. before I can even enjoy looking at the craft when I open a box filled with the smell, I have to either wash it and hope that it is washable or leave it outside for a couple of hours to air out & that's only if it's not a wet day. I admit that I have personal issues with smoking and the smell of it just triggers me and puts me in a very irritable mood and those around me will know it. It's just the tobacco and ashtray smell - fireplace and other types of smoke smells I would care less about. I also hate the smell of lavender and that weird combo of cucumber & melon....
Okay now I know I am just rambling on....

Maybe airing out a swap item outside for a couple of hours and packing it and sealing it outside before sending  Huh maybe this would help?

I will add this to any future swap questionnaire I organize:
Do you smoke?
Do you mind receiving from a smokers household?
Do you have pets?
Do you mind receiving from a household with pets?

my answers would be
Do you smoke? No
Do you mind receiving from a smokers household? I would prefer not to - but if needed to make the swap run smooth - maybe my partner could take a little extra time and air out and pack it out in the fresh air before sending...
Do you have pets? Yes
Do you mind receiving from a household with pets? I don't mind

Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pink Ladies Pledge is to act cool, to look cool and to be cool, till death do us part, Think Pink!
Pink_Dinosaur
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006 12:28:23 AM »

I hate to say it but I have received a couple of packages that smelled like stale ashtrays. Smokers just don't smell it the same way as nonsmokers. Sorry ladies  Embarrassed I think the reason we don't say anything is that we are very appreciative that someone chose & took the time to craft for us or send us something off of our wish list and we don't want to sound like a complaining brat when it was a very nice thing of them to do.
I have allergies to tobacco smoke and a dislike to the smell. before I can even enjoy looking at the craft when I open a box filled with the smell, I have to either wash it and hope that it is washable or leave it outside for a couple of hours to air out & that's only if it's not a wet day. I admit that I have personal issues with smoking and the smell of it just triggers me and puts me in a very irritable mood and those around me will know it. It's just the tobacco and ashtray smell - fireplace and other types of smoke smells I would care less about. I also hate the smell of lavender and that weird combo of cucumber & melon....
Okay now I know I am just rambling on....

i agree with not wanting to complain. i recieved an item once in a swap that smelled the second i opened the box. The person who sent it to me kindly put in a dryer sheet to help with the smell. My sister has a sensitive nose and complained of the smell all day, but it didnt bother me too much. I just took it outside. febreezed it. sprayed some of my vanilla body spray on it. let it air out for the day, after that it was fine. i adore the item sent and use it all the time. I agree that a question should be added to the questionare.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap info: http://pinkdinosaur.blogspot.com/
Wists: http://www.wists.com/pink_dinosaur
------------------------------
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all have to live in the same box
craft_t_chic
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006 12:51:09 AM »

My roommate recently started smoking again, and you wouldn't believe how much it bothers me, where before it didn't! Anyhow...that was off topic, but on topic, I recently got a swap partner who didn't want to receive from someone in a smoking household. I didin't know until partners were assigned, so I PM'd her and told her I would do my best to craft at my boyfriend's so she didn't have that problem. I even put something in a ziploc so that if any smell was on me, it wouldn't get to the item while it was in the car....hopefully this will work.  Undecided I worry about it all the time just because I don't smoke, so I know how bothersome the smell can be! However, I don't complain of crafts from a smoking household, because seriously, a few minutes around here, and it stinks anyhow! I just don't notice.

Thanks for posting the info on showering with the item in the bathroom! I never knew that steaming would take the smell out, but will keep that in mind!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want your promo stickers...your fave local band, your etsy shop, your zine, a sticker you picked off a bar wall, or even bumper stickers! I'm covering a table & need stickers! PM me!

http://www.wists.com/craft_t_chic

Free gift with every purchase!
www.crafttchic.etsy.com
MissMeshell
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006 03:03:24 AM »

Wow this is interesting, I've never thought about it before...

I personally wouldn't care about being paired with a smoker or my items having a slight (SLIGHT)Tongue ciggy odour. But this one time I bought a bedspread off Ebay and oh man it was gross, it REEKED of stale smoke, like about 30 years worth of stale smoke I reckon. But I can't see a swap item getting that bad as you only have a few weeks of crafting time. Wink

I think it's really nice to put down that you are a smoker though in case people have allergies or big aversions to smoke smelling goods. For me though, a little airing out/a febreeze would be fine! Smiley

Cool topic...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006 03:49:16 AM »

Neh, I feel like as long as the item doesn't smell like it's been physically rolled in an ashtray, the reciever has no room to complain. Most items could easily be hung up outside and/or Febreezed so that they no longer hold an odor. I'll admit that I'm more used to the smell than others (My Mum has smoked my entire life Tongue), but come on: Someone took time out of their life to craft for a complete stranger, didn't flake, and took the trouble to send their precious work hundreds of miles away. The least the reciever can do is air it out a bit Undecided.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006 04:00:04 AM »

spray inside the bag lightly first put a  few things in and  pray  again  or  spray  articles  before  putting them in  and  close it  loosely  for  a few  hours (check back  spray again if  needed.)  leave it  all outside  until  you can open teh bag  witha  fresh smell coming  out.    works  every time...  stuffed animals,  couch cushions, pillows,  everything!!    

Hehe, now that's faith! (sorry, that typo was too cute to pass up). Great advice, though. I stopped smoking two and a half months ago..(never pass an opportunity to brag about it either lol).  My guy smokes but only outside or in his workshop so my home doesn't smell like smoke. I have bought a few things on Ebay that stated they were from a smoke-free home. Before that I hadn't really even thought about it. Too bad there isn't some sort of packaging that would take care of that in transit.lol  Hey, maybe we're on to something. I fully expect to see it in hot new topics later today.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Brendan McNally Reveals His Best Quality
Amy Reed Reveals Her Most Noticeable Trait
Chris Evans Talks About The Iron Elves Series
Lisa Lampanelli is Funny
Mark Palmer and Scott Solder Talks About You Need This Book
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...