A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
750 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Swapping w/ crafters who smoke? Opinions please  (Read 6940 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SunshynDzyne
Hoarder of Fabric Extraordinaire

happily lost somewhere in a pile of fabric

View Profile
« on: March 15, 2006 07:03:23 PM »

I'm still relatively new to Craftster...only been here a little over a month. I have been stalking the swap forums since the day I joined waiting until I could finally participate in all the swapping fun. I was browsing around in some of the wish list and unconditional swap forums trying to find a wish to make for someone, and trying to find one that I could have a good quality finished craft to give (I have horrible swap anxiety and I haven't even joined one yet! lol)

Anyway, I finally found someone who had a wish I knew I could make really well, so I went to their personal wish list page to find out more about their likes/dislikes, etc and they had a statement about crafters who smoke on there. Basically the general statement was something to the effect of 'if you smoke, don't bother sending anything because I don't want to smell the smoke or the scent of whatever you used to cover the smell'.

Now, I happen to be a smoker, so I'll obviously have to look for someone else to send to, which is fine. I completely understand that a lot of non-smokers can't tolerate the smell of smoke. I hadn't stopped to consider this when I was planning on participating in the swaps though. Naturally, now I'm concerned that there may be many other crafters in swaps that feel the same way this person did. So I guess my question is, what do think is the proper thing to do in this situation? What is your opinion of the smoking issue??

Being a smoker, I don't notice the smoke smell on things because I am used to it, so I'm afraid it may be more noticeable to others than I realize. I really don't want to send someone something that reeks horribly...I know my habit stinks so I try to be a considerate smoker as much as possible. I could febreeze the hell out of it I suppose, but then that's just 'covering it up' I guess.  I also don't want to put a lot of time/effort/money into making something for someone that isn't going to be appreciated and will probably be tossed out. Depending on the swap, you don't who your partner will be until after the sign up period...so should I let the organizer know I'm a smoker when I PM them my sign up info so they can try and match me up with someone that won't mind? I really don't feel like that is something that should be the organizer's responsibility to do though. I know w/ wish list swaps and such I can just PM the person directly to ask.

Sorry for rambling...I was just so excited to start swapping and this really kind of 'burst my bubble' so to speak. I want to do the swaps but I don't want to send someone something they would have rather not had sent at all. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

-Amber

THIS ROCKS   Logged

beans
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006 07:18:38 PM »

I think that most people are worried about yarn and fabric things that can take up the smell, and I know that some people add it into their swap sign ups.
 I think your idea of writing that you are a smoker is very considerate, and it can only help the organizer put you with someone who will love your stuff.
I also think that if the person didn't specify a non-smoking partner, than you shouldn't worry about it, because there is no other way to find out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lamamarco
Lauren :)

sewing IS love.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006 07:21:43 PM »

In my opinion, you should try to rid the items you send of the "smoke" smell before you send them even if your partner says she doesn't mind the smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006 07:34:02 PM »

I think as long as they don't specify that they don't want a smoker partner, then don't worry. If it bothers someone that much they should say something first. Don't worry about the swap anxiety. I was so nervous my first time that I actually got sick to my stomach whenever I thought about it. Now that I finished that one I had so much fun that I signed up for three. I want to do more, but I know that I can't handle that many. I signed up for ones that stagger the send out date. Go ahead and have fun!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006 07:38:55 PM »

I  agree  getting  rid  of the  habit  would  be  better  but  as a person that  used to  smoke I know you won't till you are ready to..........  on  that  getting  rid of the  smell  would   help AND  signing in on swaps and  stating  you are a smoker   will help and  if  others  are  concerned  about  NOT  getting  from a  smoker they should  also  list that.

NOW  with that  said  let me  tell you of a  trick I found.   My  hubby is a  smoking truck driver (not in my house)  when he  comes  home  his  clothes all reek  of diesel fumes and  cigarettes.  no not  jsut  one  bad thing  but  2.  he  brings  his dirty laundry to the  house and I refuse it to come in  until I treat it...... even  going  straight  to teh  washer with it  still reeks!!  And I do not have a sensitive  nose  either!    here's  what  I do.  anything!  (yes that includes his laptop, clean or dirty clothes, meds (closed of course), his  shaving  bag.... litterally  even him  if I could.....   goes into  big old  trash bags that I spray the inside of with the RENUIZIT SUPER ODOR NEUTRALIZER (only that one works this well).  spray inside the bag lightly first put a  few things in and  pray  again  or  spray  articles  before  putting them in  and  close it  loosely  for  a few  hours (check back  spray again if  needed.)  leave it  all outside  until  you can open teh bag  witha  fresh smell coming  out.    works  every time...  stuffed animals,  couch cushions, pillows,  everything!!   I  keep a  bottle by the door outside  so when he  goes out to smoke he sprays his self before he comes  back in.....   (ok  yes  a  bit  extreme  but  we  have  really bad allergies and my son is horrible allergic to smokers)
BUT  it  does  work  wonders  and  most  odors  would  not  linger  with that  sprayed  on....  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006 07:43:33 PM »

I haven't done much swapping, but I never even considered that I might get a package that smelled like cigarette smoke, because almost none of my friends smoke, and those who do, don't smoke around me. I'm allergic to cigarette smoke, and would be really unhappy with a package that was stinky because it could make me sick.

However, I've yet to see a swap that makes you identify whether you smoke or not, so it's a little hard. I don't recommend febreezing the hell out of things, because a lot of people are bothered by the smell of febreeze [unscented my butt.] If I were you, I would alert the organizer to your smoking, and ask her/him to make sure before final pairing that your potential partner doesn't have a problem with that. I'd also try to air everything out as much as possible before sending. And hey, you can always ask someone who knows you but doesn't smoke if something has a stank to it before you send it. I, for one, appreciate the concern you have over the issue.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006 07:44:00 PM »

i think if you were to post in the swap thread before sign up's are over that you are a smoker, others might respond and make it easier for the organizer to figure out who to partner ppl with. as in, i just wanted to let everyone know that i'm a smoker, so if there are any other smokers who'd like to be my partner? maybe? haha, at least i know that i were in one of your swaps, i'd be able to specify yes/no to a smoker. i generally don't think about it when i sign up for swaps, but that's because i forget that there are smokers out there  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
fadeawaydream
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006 08:06:18 PM »

I'd suggest taking a nice steamy shower with your crafted goods.  Wink

To explain, most things will lose that smoke smell once they've been steamed, so if your craft can handle it, set it in your bathroom while you're showering, and you're good to go. Even if your partner doesn't specify, it couldn't hurt, right?

I know that I don't make a big deal out of smoker craftsters because I haven't noticed anything too "stinky" in all my swapping thus far. But even if I did, I'd have no problem taking care of it myself. Some people take their personal preferences a bit far, in my opinion. So I'd say, don't worry about it! It's very sweet and considerate of you to care so much, but at the same time, you don't want to get stomped on for being too nice (not that any of us kind craftsters would do the stomping, eh?). :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hertrigger
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Vacation

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006 09:28:16 PM »

im a smoker and noone has ever told me that they smell like smoke.. though, its freezing here and i do ALOT of crafting next to the fire place. and im sure it might smell like smoke..

though,noone has ever told me it reeks of smoke

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-- thepromoshop.etsy.c om

I am out of state for the month of August. All packages will be sent when I get back home!
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006 09:40:28 PM »

I think that I'd have a really hard time telling someone that their stuff smelled. I mean, someone put effort and time into making it, so how do you delicately tell them their goods have an odor? Especially if the person who made your items happens to be someone who makes a living from their crafting? I don't know, it gets tricky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Shoot Portrait Photos
How to Look Fabulous in a Photograph
How to Get Good Nature Photos
ISO Adjustment
How to Tale Digital Photographs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...