A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 298,792
Currently Running With Scissors:
369 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you use sewing patterns???  (Read 1152 times)
Tags for this thread: sewing_pattern , help  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JanxX
« on: June 30, 2004 02:37:01 PM »

Ok if this gets moved I don't mind whatever. But I've been looking at this sewing pattern for like 15 minutes and my mind is still like "uh...wtf?". How the heck do you use sewing patterns? What are notches? What are folds? How do you find your size??? All help is welcome. By the way if anyone wanted to know which pattern I'm using I am using Simplicity 5564 letter A. Yeah that is pretty simple but I have no idea how to use the pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniperl13
The one with the stripes

you look like lunch to me! ^_^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004 04:18:00 PM »

ooookay. 1) notches are the little triangles along the edge of the pattern pieces. they serve as a marker for where you have to line up pieces so that your whatever-it-is doesn't ed up all misshapen. 2)do you mean folds as in...."cut two on the fold"? if that's the case, it just means you fold the fabric so that the edges line up (if you got your fabric from the fabric store it should already be folded in half). just line up the "place this edge on fold" side of the pattern piece with the fold and pin that sucker down so it doesn't go anywhere. 3) to find your size look on the back of the pattern envelope. there should be a little chart with bust, waist, hip, and so on measurements and a row of size numbers across the top. measure yourself to figure out what size all your important bits are and then match up your results to the chart and see which size's column they end up in.

i hope i helped you! if you have any more questions i'll be happy to answer them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My website is coming together nicely! Please send me feedback, as I don't know how well it works on systems other than mine.

Also, I have a blog at  http://neglectedblog.blogspot.com/
JediEmpressMel
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004 05:03:40 PM »

Also included should be a sheet that tells you what pieces you are supposed to cut out according to which one of the items the pattern makes, that you have decided on as the one you are making.
Before you start sit there and look at that sheet. It will explain the little notches, and tells you how to lay out the pieces on the fabric, depending on your fabric width. It looks much more complicated than it really it.
If you get something easy, like a simple skirt to start with, it helps..cuz then you can figure out how patterns work, and the project itself isn't hard.
Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004 05:42:07 PM »

Something that might help is to get a book on sewing from your library. Most of them have sections on how to use patterns-that's what helped me when I first started! Also like other people said, look for patterns that say "easy" or the "sewing patterns for dummies", things like that. Don't try sewing knits, or sheers, pleats, anything complicated until you figure it out. Otherwise you'll waste a lot of time and energy on something that will look like crap when you're done (speaking from experience!  Wink)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Perk Up Your Afternoon With a Glass of Thai Iced Tea
How to Make a Cambodian Coconut Shrimp Sandwich
How to Make Kimchi Pancakes and Butterscotch Apples
How to Make Vietnamese-Inspired Kim Family Wraps
How to Make Spicy Korean Pan-Fried Pork and Oreo Smores
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...