A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
382 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blue and Green Baby Quilt  (Read 1632 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

micahstandley
« on: March 14, 2006 10:08:31 PM »

I just finished this project for a friend's baby. The fabric came as a kit from Joann's and it was a lot of fun to put together. The only crazy part to deal with were the minkee patches. WOW! I had to pin like crazy to piece these together.

Her daughter's name is Raven so I also embroidered a little black swallow (it could be a raven!) ala Jenny Hart. She totally loved it.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2006 10:20:39 AM by micahstandley » THIS ROCKS   Logged

micah
Crafterbynite
Customizing the world ..one shirt at a time

Extraordinary machine!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006 10:46:19 PM »

very cool...it look warm too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ETSY :: Wist :: Blog :: Fb :: Twitter
zenochka
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006 05:43:28 AM »

that looks so cute and cozy! Love the little raven too
Cheryl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
arabella
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006 08:05:57 AM »

that's beautiful!!  and I love the embroidered "raven".  what are minkee patches?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006 09:26:46 AM »

micah, how large are the squares? i am hoping to make a quilt for my friend's baby too. the shower is on the 22 of april- that seems like a good pattern to try to make in time. about how many hours do you think you spent on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

micahstandley
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006 10:19:21 AM »

that's beautiful!!  and I love the embroidered "raven".  what are minkee patches?

Minkee is this SUUUUUUUPER soft micro-spun polyester fabric. It makes a really great backing for a baby quilt, but it is REALLY strectchy and hard to deal with in terms of patchwork. If you're going to use it as part of a quilt top, I would use at least a half-inch seam allowance instead of the usual quarter-inch.

micah, how large are the squares? i am hoping to make a quilt for my friend's baby too. the shower is on the 22 of april- that seems like a good pattern to try to make in time. about how many hours do you think you spent on it?

The kit from Joann was perfect - I found it in the quilting section with the fat quarters, etc. Anyhoo, The squares are cut to 6.5 inches, so they are 6 inches when finished (again using our friendly quarter-inch seam allowance).

The kit only gives you the fabric for the backing and the top, and some directions. The directions just call for making it like a giant pillow case once you've made the top (i.e. right sides together, sewing all around it leaving a 6-inch space, turn inside out, whip-stitch the opening - No quilting!?!). I went a little above and beyond the call of duty by quilting it, with batting, and binding.

It took me an entire weekend to do, but keep in mind that I bound and embroidered it. If you were to follow the directions but add some batting before turning inside out and quilt it, I bet you could do it in less than a day - no problem. For a better explanation of doing it this way, here's a link:

http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=section/classroom/sewprojects/pillowquilt/pillowquilt.html

See "2. Prepare Quilt." and after you've finished piecing your top, follow steps "d" through "f". Then quilt in the ditch and your done!

Hope that helps...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

micah
abuelitodimetu
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006 12:40:06 PM »

i like the color combination and the simple square pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006 01:36:21 PM »

I love the colors!

Looks modern yet retro at the same time!  Guess you could call it a timeless look  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amemm
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006 06:43:33 AM »

Great job!  The fabric choices are pretty good for being part of a kit.  The extras that you did, really add to it. I might have to try to copy this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BiscottiTogs

Life's too short for cheap chocolate.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006 07:14:07 AM »

Lovely job!  The embroidery is a great touch, and love the colour combo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Holiday Food Packaging with Martha Stewart
How to Make a Ribbon Christmas Tree
How to Make Circle Punch Christmas Trees
How to Make Aromatic Extracts
How to Make a Ribbon Wreath
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...