A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Please answer a survey for my research paper!  (Read 2394 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Delziela
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2006 12:49:14 PM »

Ditto to what everyone else said.  Wink

Crafting is a huge part of who I am, and I didn't even consider myself crafty until last year. When I found craftster, and started my first feeble attempts at sewing, and then I tried crochet, (months later- I still cant) then tried knitting and fell in love.  Cheesy Then I got better at sewing and started branching out and now I consider myself sufficiantly crafty! Now I've just finished knitting my first non-accessory garment.

I really like being different. Its really cool to hear someone compliment something that I made, not knowing that I made it. Or when people see me knitting and are genuinly interested in what I'm doing. I really like teaching people to knit.

The other day I was at Gordman's, and I saw this really cute skirt that I wanted, but there was only one left and it was too big for me. I realized that if that was all that was left, there must be at least 8-9 junior-sized girls in the surrounding three citys, and how many in the whole country? Goodness.

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006 07:55:22 PM by Delziela » THIS ROCKS   Logged

To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong.
-Joseph Chilton Pearce
dizzydragonfly
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2006 01:48:33 PM »

Hmmm...interesting topic!

For as long as I can remember I have been interested in how things are made and I love making things. There is the element of personal satisfaction at creating something from almost nothing. I must admit it is a thrill to hear people say "You made that?!?" That never gets old!!!  Grin

It is also kind of meditative. When I am making art or working on my crafty hobbies I get lost in what I am doing and I am able to think with clarity during the making process as well as after.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The crafter formerly known as jesssf!

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.   - Eleanor Roosevelt
___________________ ___________________ ____

http://dizzydragonfly.blogspot.com

Wists
GroggyFroggy
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2006 03:50:07 PM »

It is also kind of meditative. When I am making art or working on my crafty hobbies I get lost in what I am doing and I am able to think with clarity during the making process as well as after.

Yesssss! That, too! I love when that happens.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

racehorse87
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2006 04:18:30 PM »

I agree with most of the reasons you gave, plus I like to give people personalized gifts - it just tends to mean a lot more.

I also like praise, so it's awesome when people are really surprised and in awe that I made something.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemonadelemonade
.Eciwt erehwyreve eb ot tnaw I.

confusion between what we have and what we are...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2006 08:08:29 PM »

I have had an uncontrollable and unexplainable fixation with exclusively knitting for the past nine months that has seriously gotten in the way of my other various crafting interests, so I will answer the question as it applies to my knitting only.

I rarely knit for the use of the finished product.  I knit for the process of figuring things out structurally and creating new designs I've never seen before. It's an art form.  It's also a way to channel my hyperactive creativity into something tangible, so I don't get neurotic with pent-up creative tension.  Constanly working with my hands on a long-term project satisfies my need for kinetic learning and soothes my tendency to have a short attention span.

For crafting in general, I have to agree with all of washu's reasons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://goknitstuff.blogspot.com/

"You aren't just knitting.  You are assigning a value to human effort."
-Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Mara295
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2006 08:25:33 PM »

To me, crafting is a creative artform.  I do a lot of crafting, but as of late my passions have been in crochet and beaded/wire jewellery making.  I love that I can "see" something in my mind's eye, and then make it into a tangible thing that is exactly the same or better than what I had originally imagined.  I very rarely make anything that I keep.  I almost always have someone in mind for whatever it is that I'm making at any given time.  It's an expression from my heart that I sometimes find difficult to express in mere words. It's addictively fulfilling to see my work being used, appreciated and enjoyed. 

I have only one requirement of those that I gift my work to--that they promise not to save it for "good" occasions, and will enjoy it freely whenever the mood strikes them.

Best of luck on your paper, I hope I helped Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2006 08:32:08 PM »

I do crafts because it forces me to slow down. With a fast paced college life it is so easy to get wrapped up, consumed and frustrated with the speed of life. There is nothing like the clicking of needles or delicate needle work to force you to go slow and focus. And for me, it's also carrying on a family tradition. When I crochet a piece of my Great Grandma lives on and I can never wait to show my grandma my newest outfit I've sewn, because she is the one that taught me. The women in my family have given me these gifts and it would be a waste not to use them!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.bl ogger.com
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2006 10:06:06 PM »

The question is: why do you do crafts?  It is relaxing to me and it makes me feel good to do something nice for someone.  I like to personalize things especially for kids.  The fabrics are often things you can't find in a store, too

THIS ROCKS   Logged
leelee
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2006 06:01:45 AM »

they make me happy Smiley

my grandmother knitted, crocheted, quilted, sewed clothes and painted. 
my grandfather was a cabinet builder who later in life made tacky painted lawn ornaments (remember those lady bending over ones?). 
my father used to draw and paint and has the ability to pick up any musical instrument and play any song and doesn't know a single note!
his sister is the scrapbook queen, she made all the decorations for my wedding, sews, knits, ...well she does most anything. 
my mom used to have a craft group that met once a month at each others house and the hostess would put on a new craft. 
my brother is in construction (giant crafting, right?) 
i love to paint, sew, knit, play piano and guitar, really most anything. 

so to get to the point - i think it was just something i was raised with.  crafting is a way to make personal things for people - things no one else has.  i love the satisfaction of making something, it makes me proud to look at what i have done.  as far as the praise - i really don't like it, but i'm one of thoses people that is not good at accepting compliments for anything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure
without losing your enthusiasm.
- Winston Churchill -
MercilessOne
MercilessOne

MercilessOne

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2006 06:09:24 AM »

I agree with leelee it's just one of those things I was raised around. My mother and grandmother crochet and my father was always doing some cross stitch project or another. When I was little we spent alot of time in the car going on trips and things like that at first it was a way to occupy my time and keep my quiet. But as I got older I started making alot of my own gifts and when someone opens something you made and thinks it came from a store, then they realize you made it just for them, the sense of satisfaction and pride is so much bigger and better than if you'd just gotten something at a store.

Plus like alot of the others have said, I have a really hard time finding the things I want and like. Not only for reasons of not having alot of cash but just usually the things I find are in colors I don't like. So I usually figure, you know I can just make that myself. Hope this helps a little, I know it was kinda random but after three days with no power and no internet lol I've got a ton to say.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Own Jewelry
How to Make Shrink Plastic Jewelry and Accessories
How to Make a Wrapped Loop - Bead Tutorial
How to Make Marble Magnets and Picture Marbles
How to Make a Wrapped Wire Loop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...