A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,664
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stone Age knitting--Nalbinded Scarf  (Read 15192 times)
Tags for this thread: nalbinding  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006 06:52:30 AM »

Wow, now I really want to do this. Your scarf is great, and I like the uneven finger lengths at the ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xamonster

"Ah, curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006 08:46:51 AM »

What an awesome technique. I'm going to give it a go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I brought you flours."

Check out my blog and my wist!
marnewein
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006 09:36:25 AM »

Your scarf is beautiful and thank you so much for the information about nailbinding, I have never heard of it.  Keep up the great work!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006 09:38:05 AM by marnewein » THIS ROCKS   Logged

orange_angel
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006 11:39:01 AM »

Really fun to see your scarf! I've tried nallbinding too, here's a sweater: http://www.ipbolaget.com/users/ce03922/kla18.html and I've made alot of hats. Good of you too bring more people into knowing what it is and trying it!

Anyway, you made your scarf in cotton yarn, how did you join the ends?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frida Karlsson

Website at madeinhagn.se
wrybrarian
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006 12:23:05 PM »

Wow, how cool! Thanks for learnin' me somethin' today.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cottontop
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2006 05:05:54 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments about my funky little scarf! Ewushka, I did get a clue from the naalbinding thread in the crochet section that maybe knitters might be more interested! But it was a hilarious thread...

Orange_Angel I LOVE your sweater! It is gorgeous...Way more impressive than my little scarf. There's been some discussion lately on the Yahoo nalbinding list about sweaters, could I post a link to yours there? Or maybe you might like to join and post it yourself? I bet people on that list would love to  see it. Is the yoke naalbound too? What stitches did you use? And do you find that it stretches a lot or gets baggy / lumpy? I've been thinking about trying larger garments, wondering if they might hang better if I did the rows vertically rather than in the round...I love the whole look of your sweater, though, I might have to try to make one like it!!! (If I do I promise I'll give you full credit! maybe a little tag inside that says "designed by Orange_Angel"!)

As for joining I did it in a couple rows by stitching double for a few stitches with both strands but I don't recommend that it's very awkward, also hard to tell whether doubled strands are one stitch or two as you work into them from the side and in the following row. Then I discovered that at least with this stitch it is exactly symmetrical back to front. So I could leave a huge tail when I made the first stitch, use extra long lengths (about 11 yards both halvesl) start in the MIDDLE of the row, nalbind all the way to the end, then flip the piece and stitch back to the beginning using the 11 yard tail I had left in the middle! The beginning tail comes out in the exact same uuoo/uuooo order on the backside of the row.  Very handy, I don't know if other stitches work that way...So I used one 22yrd length for each 58" row. (I kinda chain the working half into foot-long crochet chain segments and feed the last loop and the tail through the eye in my needle. It's small so only two strands fit easily).  But thats ridiculously long, goes much faster if you use shorter lengths than that and have a good joining technique...I really didn't want knots for a scarf, might be ok in a hat or sweater...Wool is the best, those felted joins work great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mistresscandace

make crafts, not war

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2006 05:06:49 PM »

I played in the SCA when I was living back in the states.  A few of my friends did Nalbinding but I never got into it before I left.  Do you have any recommendations on where to get a needle?

Have you done lucet cord making?  It's a bit different from Nalbinding, as it just makes a cord (but a really durable one!), but may be something you'd like.  Here's a link: http://kws.atlantia.sca.org/photos/lucet/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cottontop
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2006 06:15:43 PM »

Do you have any recommendations on where to get a needle?
The Spanish Peacock
(Wood, antler and bone nalbinding needles, straight and curved).

I have heard really good things about his needles, have been meaning to order one myself. The one I have and love I got from a knife-maker on ebay, have lost all his contact info, + he was coming from a native American tradition, didn't totally apply to nalbinding so I had to modify the needle some. I should really enlarge the eye...

I have Larry Schmitt's Socks,Socks,Socks book on naalbinding and it has a GREAT section on making your own needle out of all kinds of materials from bone, antler and various woods to plastic, he's actually made some gorgeous plastic ones! Great info on beatiful woods to use, even sticks from your own fruit trees, etc...I assume his other naalbinding books might have the same chapter? but not sure about that.

The Spanish Peacock also carries Larry Schmitt's Nalbinding books, which are hard to find. Mielke's Farm (online fibershop) carries them, maybe one or two other places.

Hey, thanks for the lucet cord link! I've heard of it but not seen it. I really like that bicolor zigzag one! I'm bookmarking the link, will try it soon.  I'm not a reenactor myself but love all those old cool textile techniques...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
westcoastchica
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2006 09:47:23 PM »

Wow, I had no idea that this technique existed!!! I'm DEFINITELY going to put this on my list of things to try next time I have a good chunk of time to devote to it....

And the scarf looks AWESOME! Totally different. Me want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gleep
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006 03:51:27 AM »

Wow. This is REALLY cool. Now I want to try it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Adjust the Hue and Saturation in Photoshop CS3
How to Align Objects in Flash CS3
How to Apply a Blend Mode in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply a Filter in Photoshop CS3
How to Apply a Gradient in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...