A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
367 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ladylike Lace Gloves- help please!  (Read 13462 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« on: March 14, 2006 01:44:08 PM »

Ok, so I consider myself to be a semi-advanced knitter, but I just started crocheting and keep having questions.  I'm on my second project (the first one was the stripes and stripes forever scarf), and I'm doing the fingerless gloves.  Row 2 reads: Ch 1, sc in back loop of each sc across, turn- 23 sc.

Okay, so I got the ch1 part, and sc means single crochet... but it sounds like i'm doing short rows here or something, and i don't understand how you turn and then sc into the back loop of each of the sc's I just did... it made sense when i was sc'ing into the back loop of the CHAIN, but where is the back loop in the work i just did?  Any help is appreciated Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
HeHa
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006 01:51:54 PM »

pictures make everything so much easier when you can't explain in person.
go to page 30 in the book where it shows the anatomy of a crochet chain. you turned your work in your hands so you're now going along in the stitches you had just finished. look at them from above and the stitches should look pretty much like what the front of the chain stitch in the book. just hook through the back part of the v shape (instead of the whole v) the stitch makes.
i'm not sure that even made sense. the back part meaning the side of the v facing away from you.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006 02:03:37 PM by HeHa » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006 12:23:23 AM »

HeHa's got it - check out those diagrams.  The idea is to get a ribbed fabric (you already know that in knitting, that's by alternating knit and purl stitches and working vertically; in crochet you do that by crocheting into only one loop of the chain, and work it horizontally).  You will also do some short-rowing in this pattern (although you aren't quite there yet); (I just got my copy of the book and re-read the pattern) You are short-rowing!  It's to shape the palm and wrist to give a nice snug fit, and creating the thumb will have you chaining off into space and then crocheting back on that chain (you could think of it as casting on extra stitches to create an extension).   

I'm trying to find the schematic sketch I worked up - the construction of the piece can be a little confusing, as you are going side-to-side.  I'll post it when I get my hands on it (this was all done last summer, so it's gotten a little buried).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006 12:52:39 PM by mk_carroll » THIS ROCKS   Logged
primashonna

Chuck Norris doesn't sleep... he waits...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006 06:05:16 AM »

oh! I'm glad someone else is working on this project!  I love it, but I got a little confused, too...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-red
"we're talking to phil collins's people... but then again, aren't we all?" (hedwig and the angry inch)

"of course, the bob loblaw law blog... you, sir, are a mouthfull!" (arrested development)

www.shonnamceachern.com
aurelia615
Rrriot Librrrarian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006 07:36:40 AM »

Thanks for the help!  I thought it was short-rows but I wasn't sure.  And I was thinking the back loop was the "butt" of the stitch (as debbie stoller writes in the instructions), not the back loop.  Thank you so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Listen to me.  These people walk imaginary pets.  On a f***ing leash. And they're all heavily armed and drunk.  New York is boring.  I'll call you later."  -John Cusack in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
My blog: http://cabbageeatsyarn.blogspot.com
debacle
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2006 09:41:41 AM »

Crocheting in back (or front) loop is explained on page 63.
Once you get past the chain, there ain't no more "butt" loop.
can't wait to see this project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
primashonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2006 08:57:06 PM »

Alright... here is where I am confused....

Row 4... I don't understand the 2-dc cluster across next 4 sts....

in row 4 before you begin the cluster, it says to sk 2 sts.
THEN in the cluster pattern, it starts with "Insert hook into same st as last dc worked.... which dc does it mean and where are the skipped st?
After that, I'm confused about the last line of the cluster pattern... it says to draw the yarn through three loops on hook, but I only have one....

I hope I'm making sense...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-red
"we're talking to phil collins's people... but then again, aren't we all?" (hedwig and the angry inch)

"of course, the bob loblaw law blog... you, sir, are a mouthfull!" (arrested development)

www.shonnamceachern.com
debacle
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006 09:21:55 AM »

Yup, you're right, there's an error here (grrr).

I just spent some time testing the cluster rows out and here's my correction (will be on the errata page shortly):

Under special stitches, "2-dc cluster across next 4 sts" is clearer if it's called  "2-dc cluster across 4 sts" and should read (note missing yo):  Yo, insert hook into same st as last dc worked, yo, draw yarn through, yo, draw yarn through 2 loops on hook, sk next 2 sc, yo, insert hook in next st, yo, draw yarn through st, yo, draw yarn through 2 loops on hook, yo, draw yarn through 3 loops on hook.

Under Special Stitches,  "2-dc cluster across next 3 sts" is clearer if it's called "2-dc cluster across 3 sts" and should read (note missing yo): Yo, insert hook into same st as last dc worked, yo, draw yarn through, yo, draw yarn through 2 loops on hook, sk next sc, yo, insert hook in next st, yo, draw yarn through st, yo, draw yarn through 2 loops on hook, yo, draw yarn through 3 loops on hook.

Under Back, Row 4 should read: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), sk first 2 sc, dc in next sc  (counts as first cluster), *ch 2, work 2-dc cluster across 4 sts (see special stitches); rep from * across to last 2 sts, ch 2, work 2-dc cluster across 3 sts (see special stitches)17 clusters.

Under thumb, Row 28 should read: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), sk first 2 sc, dc in next sc (counts as first cluster), *ch 2, work 2-dc cluster across 4 sts; rep from * across to last sc, dc in last sc 15 clusters.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006 09:44:05 AM by debacle » THIS ROCKS   Logged
primashonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006 10:38:41 AM »

thank you!
I figured I was missing some yo's somewhere, but I couldn't figure it out... can't wait to get back to work on them  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-red

www.shonnamceachern.com
debacle
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006 10:59:47 AM »

glad that helped. you can download the correction (along with some others) in printable format here:

http://www.bust.com/knithappens/snbhh-errata.pdf

Them's are some damn cute gloves (big ups to MK,the designer on these). Can't wait to see 'em done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006 07:46:44 PM »

Thanks Deb!  Dang, that was quick!  Here's the handwritten chart I did, if it helps.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/mizunablog/clusterlace.jpg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 07:29:55 PM by pinkleo - Reason: non-working imgs to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
primashonna

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2006 02:09:16 PM »

Alright... I'm a little confused again...
On row 36... I'm not even sure what to ask... the whole row confuses me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-red

www.shonnamceachern.com
mk_carroll
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2006 12:17:15 AM »

Alright... I'm a little confused again...
On row 36... I'm not even sure what to ask... the whole row confuses me....

Okay, you are chaining out into space again.   From where you ended with Row 35, work a chain of 14 sts.  You will need one of those chains for the turning, so you skip the chain closest to the hook and single crochet back down the new foundation chain you've just made (13 sc done).  You should now be back to where you finished Row 35.  Those stitches you skipped in Row 35?  You are going to start working them now (like finishing up short rows), like you did in Row 33.  If it helps, ignore "working in rem sts in row 34" - you just need to work the 13 sc into the foundation chain, then a sc into the back loop of the next st, which is how you wind up with a total of 14 sts. 

When you get to row 38, you may need to break it into smaller chunks - the long bit about "working first sc in back lp of next st" through to ""first free sc 3 rows below" is in reference to how you will work the sc2tog.  The point here is about not having a hole (in knitting, this would be the part of the short row where you pick up and knit the wrap with the stitch). 

I have got to get a schematic up for this.  I think it would start to make more sense if you could see what you are supposed to be winding up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_white_stripe_
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006 03:49:55 PM »

yeah so, when you are doing the chain, should you be chaining on the end with the thumb or near the end without the thumb?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006 11:39:38 PM »

yeah so, when you are doing the chain, should you be chaining on the end with the thumb or near the end without the thumb?

The end with the thumb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006 12:09:30 AM »

A picture is worth a thousand words: here's a nearly completed glove, done in two colors so you can see the different sections easily.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/mizunablog/llglove.jpg
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013 07:30:08 PM by pinkleo - Reason: non-working imgs to links » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayleigh_a

yarncraft 4 life

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006 12:38:35 PM »

That photo was soooo amazingly helpful!!! I went OH I GET IT NOW... I just wanted to point out to anyone doing this project that when the pattern says to sc into a cluster, you should make sure you get all the little yarns that are hanging down, otherwise the lace doesn't work out. I'm probably the only person in the world that wouldn't just follow the simple directions, but thought I'd throw that out there so no one else has half a glove that looks kind of funky but will be worn lovingly as soon as I finish it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gyouko
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2006 08:39:04 PM »

Sorry for bringing back up an old-ish topic but I don't think I should start a new one.  I don't think anyone else is having a problem with this part (I'm just really dumb) but I'm terribly stuck on row 21 of the thumb.  ...........I don't really know what to ask exactly.  I'm just stuck.  : |  I probably just need someone to slap me in the face and reword it or explain it to me.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2006 09:01:38 PM »

I'm terribly stuck on row 21 of the thumb.  ...........I don't really know what to ask exactly.  I'm just stuck. 
Okay, let's use the photo posted earlier in this thread.  You "read" this from bottom to top, because you start with the back of the hand and work your way up.  See where the back (in mint green) ends?  That's row 20, where you don't crochet all the way to the end of the row.  You just stop.  With row 21, you are starting the part of the thumb that separates from the rest of the hand, which is why you chain out into space and then start working back down that chain (like you do with a foundation chain), and then into the part of the back of the hand that you worked on in row 20. 

Is that making any more sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gyouko
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006 03:37:15 PM »

I'm terribly stuck on row 21 of the thumb.  ...........I don't really know what to ask exactly.  I'm just stuck. 
Okay, let's use the photo posted earlier in this thread.  You "read" this from bottom to top, because you start with the back of the hand and work your way up.  See where the back (in mint green) ends?  That's row 20, where you don't crochet all the way to the end of the row.  You just stop.  With row 21, you are starting the part of the thumb that separates from the rest of the hand, which is why you chain out into space and then start working back down that chain (like you do with a foundation chain), and then into the part of the back of the hand that you worked on in row 20. 

Is that making any more sense?
Ohhhkay, I think I get it now.  It was the chaining out into space part & then getting back down to sc into the rest of row 19 that I was having trouble with.  So, after row 20, I don't turn?  Or do I?
okok, I've got it!  I'm well on my way on thumb now. : D  Thank you very much!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006 05:18:35 PM by gyouko » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2006 09:53:56 AM »

Okay, someone helped me and it looks like I'm doing fine now.  Grin I have one glove almost done.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006 06:10:48 PM by Amethyst » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitwitUK
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2006 11:30:50 AM »

hi - im confused with this pattern now too! Im using the errata page, but it says on row 4 that you do the cluster pattern until the last two stitches, then do the 2dc cluster over3 sts. But you only have 2 sts left! Please can someone explain!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog at: http://knitwituk.blogspot.com/
I love to do personal swaps Smiley
Amethyst
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2006 11:33:10 AM »

You have 3 stitches including the one that has a dc in it, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitwitUK
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2006 11:48:56 AM »

ahhhhh!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamafliz
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2006 05:27:36 PM »

Okay, I've printed out the errata, but am still confused.  I have the second print of the Happy Hooker, so some of the corrections made it in, others not so much.  I'm confused about where row 50 went in the palm instructions in the corrections?  Strike out Row 47-50: rep rows 43 - 46, replace with rows 46 - 49: rep rows 42 - 45 ...okay so what happened to row 50?  Does row 51 in my book become row 50 now?  AGH!  I want to love this pattern but I'm frustrated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006 05:21:57 PM »

I have the second print of the Happy Hooker, so some of the corrections made it in, others not so much.
I have not seen the second print version, unfortunately, so I'm not sure if you need the errata page or not.  I don't understand where you are getting "strike out row 47 - 50" - in my copy of the errata, which I downloaded from the site, I have "Rows 46-49: replace with: Rep rows 42-45" [row 46 done as 42, row 47 done as 43, row 48 done as 44, row 49 done as 45], and rows 50 and 51 should be done as in the pattern printed in the book. 

I'll see if I can find the second print in a bookstore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamafliz
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2006 07:51:04 AM »

Thanks for getting back to me!  In the version of the book that I have (2nd ed.) the instructions read:

Row 47 - 50: Rep rows 43 - 46

So the errata doesn't work because they state:  Rows 46 - 49: rep. rows 42 - 45.

Then the next instruction in the book is:

Row 51: Ch 1, hdc in the back loop of each hdc across, turn, 20 hdc (although there is a correction to that row in the errata).

So I need to know what to do for row 50 pls :-)

Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mk_carroll
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2006 10:15:52 AM »

I may be speaking too soon, but you know what?  It looks like you just follow the book instructions for Row 47 - 50.  Keep in mind that with the corrections, a missing row has been added, so if you are going row by row in the revised pattern, it is not going to match the old pattern.

Also, I'd like to get a copy of the errata you are using, because it's not matching the errata downloaded from knithappens.com.  There is no correction to row 51 in the errata sheet that I have or the errata posted on my blog.  There is a link to my email address on my blog.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mamafliz
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2006 02:34:56 PM »

My Bad!  There isn't a correction on the errata to row 51, it's for row 52!

I'm going to frog back to row 19 and try again, using the instructions for rows 47 - 50 for row 50 and see how it goes.  I'll posts back when I've made it there  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitwitUK
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006 01:57:08 AM »

Finished my first glove after a week of hard work and its enormous! I used 4ply wool and a slightl smaller hoolk ( 3.50mm) so not sure what happened there  Undecided tried it on and it is about two times the size of my hand and I dont think I have particularly freakishly small hands! even my boyf tried it on and it was enormous! Might have to give up on this project  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mk_carroll
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006 08:53:07 PM »

I used 4ply wool and a slightl smaller hoolk ( 3.50mm)
I have to ask.  Did you do a gauge swatch?  Even if you are just half a stitch per inch/4 cms off, that can throw your size way, way off.  You can read more about gauge in the book.

In the US, wools are no longer sized by plys because of the huge variance.  The Craft Yarn Council of America has the US Standard Weight System as a guideline.  Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock is a #1 superfine yarn.  Comparable yarns you may be able to find in the UK:
Rowan 4-ply Soft, Lucy Neatby sock yarn, Opal sock yarn, Regia sock yarn, and Lang Jawoll sock yarn. 

Keep in mind that the hook size is a *recommendation* and what matters is which hook gets you the proper gauge.  Don't forget to wash and dry the gauge swatch before measuring! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bettycrackpot

just chillin' with some hookers.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2007 05:24:36 PM »

ok...i am on the thumb shaping row 21....it says to crochet into the 19th row?Huh? im so confused......... Undecided any help is apperciated! thanks in advance!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those who create are rare; those who cannot are numerous. Therefore, the latter are stronger. ~Coco Chanel
moonshae
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2008 10:09:10 PM »

ok...i am on the thumb shaping row 21....it says to crochet into the 19th row?Huh? im so confused......... Undecided any help is apperciated! thanks in advance!!!

I just got to this bit too.... Very confusing puh-lease help! I thought I was going so well Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Paceberly
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2009 05:57:15 PM »

OK I know this is super old but I really need help Row 38 How do you end up with 26 sc? I must be doing something wrong
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bookaholic
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010 04:48:12 PM »

Finished my first glove after a week of hard work and its enormous! I used 4ply wool and a slightl smaller hoolk ( 3.50mm) so not sure what happened there  Undecided tried it on and it is about two times the size of my hand and I dont think I have particularly freakishly small hands! even my boyf tried it on and it was enormous! Might have to give up on this project  Embarrassed
That happened to me too! I have to admit I didn't do a swatch, but after I had one ginormous glove I DID do a swatch, and the gauge was waaaay off. I had to adapt the pattern to fit my hands.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Patterns at http://www.ravelry.com/people/bookaholic
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Comics Run: Saga Number 1
The Comics Run: Batman Night of the Owls
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men Resumed
The Comics Run: Avengers VS. X-Men
Using Floppy Disks as Art Canvas
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...