A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,713
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy short-sleeve baseball tees - Tutorial added!  (Read 2952 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss American Pie
« on: March 13, 2006 03:52:47 PM »

I made this cute baseball-ish tee out of two old shirts I didn't wear. It's way simpler and professional looking then the average tee-shirt reconstruction. I love how this style looks on me too.

That one's my favourite, but here are some other attempts and variations-

Both of those already had the print on them. I made the yellow one without the collar-ish thing. The collar is the hardest part, so I just skipped it there. I also used only one shirt for that one.

I made that one out of two "double-knit" type shirts. It didn't work very well because that stuff is so stretchy. the collar was especially screwed up. I love those colours though.

- Tutorial -

Ok, here's a picture of my pattern-

In case you're like me and you can't do anything without measurements of stuff, there you go. Also, in case you're on the metric system and you hate converting, there you go too (I know what it's like!). The red measurements are for the front piece and the blue is for the back piece.

The pattern pieces were made to be cut on the shirts' original hems, so if you're not cutting on the original hem, you need to leave room for that on both the sleeves and the main pieces.

Cut the back peice and the front piece so that they fit together. Cut the sleeves as opposites. There is also another piece I didn't cut a pattern for, and that's the collar piece. It should be about 2" wide and 24 1/2" long (that's 5 by 62 cm) or maybe wider if your material is thicker.

Sew your front and back pieces right-sides together along the sides.

Next, sew the short side of one of the sleeves to the front of the shirt, right-sides together. There will be an extra inch or so of sleeve; leave that at the arm-pit. Sew the long part to the back, r-s-t, with that extra inch or so in the arm-pit.

Check and make sure that looks right. It seems simple, but it can be tricky because the sleeves are opposites. Ok, now do the same thing for the opposite sleeve.

For that extra inch of sleeve, I know the pattern is pointy, but ignore that and sew the armpit part like this-

Now comes the collar. I've tried a couple different methods, so I'll try to explain the one that worked best. Since pictures say a thousand words, here's what it looks like in back-

and inside-

See how it has that little vertical seam? You have to pin the whole collar into place to measure exactly where that little seam will be. Then unpin everything and sew that seam. Then open that seam so it lies flatter. Then pin everything up again and stitch the whole collar on.

Oh, I never explained how to actually put the collar on. It's pretty self-explanatory though. Just fold it in half over the shirt, and then fold half of each half underneath. Make sense?

And yay, you have a cute shirt! If you have any questions, just ask.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006 08:53:48 PM by Miss American Pie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bnanca
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006 03:56:38 PM »

CUTE!! I LOVE THEM, DID YOU USE SOME TYPE OF PATTERN?Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rumble_pie
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006 03:59:15 PM »

hey miss american pie,

those look great!  i love how raglan tshirts fit me, too (you know, with the sleeves stitched in on an angle like that)...do you have "before" pics showing what you made these out of?  did you stitch by hand or with a machine?  i'd never know they were re-con jobs and the fit is very flattering!

would love more details/pics.

nice work!

r.p.

p.s.  i noticed your version of "favourite" has a "u" in it, making me think that despite your name, maybe you're from UK someplace, or australia?  : )  where do you live?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
frolickingmango
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006 04:13:33 PM »

Wow! Those look so professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss American Pie
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006 04:21:20 PM »

I made my own pattern for them.

I didn't take any before pictures, but here are some after shots of what's left--

They both might have some re-con potential left, so I didn't throw them away. They're both cotton-polyester blends. The navy one, which I made the main part out of, is large and the light blue one, for the sleeves and collar, in medium, I think. I machine stitched them, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to do by hand either, especially if you cut the pieces on the shirts' original hems.

P.S. Sorry, Rumble Pie, but I'm American. Haha, I was born in Michigan, and I've moved around alot. I spell favourite that way because I lived in Canada for a while. That's where I got the nickname Miss American Pie. It's also one of my favourite songs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cantafruit
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006 06:49:50 PM »

cute, cute cute!!! I'd love a little tutorial on how to make the collar ???pleeeease!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*personal swap, anyone? I sew, knit and crochet*

wist: http://www.wists.com/cantafruit
tnkgrl
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006 09:21:38 PM »

so cute!  could you post your pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
musicaddict05
Gavin DeGraw For Life

Happy Candle!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006 09:36:19 PM »

Wow! Those are amazing! They look professional.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chaos is what killed the dinosaurs, darling
Keletubbie

Knittin' like I mean it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006 07:31:53 AM »

You're going to have a LOT of pattern/tute requests. Add mine to the list.

It's a great idea and some spiffy stitching missy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my blog. Comments make us all happy:

http://purlfriday.blogspot.com
jetgrrl
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006 10:30:37 AM »

These are great! Were you using the original collar or did you sew one together? And is the collar just regular jersey fabric or a special part like the existing seam?

Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Gwyn Cready Talks About Aching for Always
Justin Somper Gives Some Answers
Nic Pizzolatto Talks About Galveston
Nic Pizzolatto Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
Steve Martin Reads from Born Standing Up
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...