A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,030
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tie purse hippie style  (Read 32524 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sheila
« Reply #70 on: November 04, 2004 05:25:27 PM »

I can't remember for the life of me if i posted something here.. but it rocks my socks  Cool very cool. Wow, I have many a tie I could totally make that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennhi
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2004 04:44:35 PM »

Smurfette, I made one according to your directions and now it's my primary purse. Also used lining and added a magnetic snap (note to all: ties are a very weak fabric to use a magnetic snap with! you can use it but be careful with opening the purse!). It's now my primary purse.

Joining the ties to make a strap proved to be a challenge, and I think that if I do this again, I'm using a brass square or something (like the outside of a belt buckle). Joining them with satin stitch was probably not the best idea. Smurfette, how did you join the ties for the strap?

Went to the store today and the ladies at the register FAWNED over it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2004 03:27:24 PM »

I tuck one tie into the other and fold under the edges of the top tie and stitch...either zigzag or straight.This one isn't very neat but you get the idea.

I like the belt buckle idea alot Smiley

thanks for the compliments girls Smiley
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004 03:32:21 PM by Smurfette » THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
Soopah
« Reply #73 on: December 10, 2004 12:02:04 PM »

OMG I LOVE THIS SO MUCH AND WHEN I'M DONE WITH XMAS PRESENTS I AM GONNA MAKE ONE FOR ME!!!

Sorry for the caps but I got really excited Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
biteme
« Reply #74 on: December 10, 2004 12:03:01 PM »

beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Angie

beware of my cluelessness or be ready to answer questions.
jennhi
« Reply #75 on: December 10, 2004 05:03:49 PM »

D'OH! Smurfette, that's the better idea -- you da bomb.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2004 02:33:53 PM »

I know Smurfette already answered your strap question, but I thought I'd tell you guys how I did it, just for another idea. I made my purse part of it, 3 ties on one side, 3 on the other, and then on the ends, I took one tie, and sewed it to one side, then just looped it up, and over, and sewed the skinny part on the other side, I rather like it this way....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Teki
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2004 09:08:04 PM »

Smiley       I absoluetly love this purse- I dont' have any ties, but I can just imagine making this one! I loved it! You did a great job. I like the other tie purse you made too. I really think this is just awesome.

I will have to post some of mine when I figure out how to post it on here. This is my first post.
:0) Great work!
Teki
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2004 01:47:58 PM »

I will have to post some of mine when I figure out how to post it on here. This is my first post.
:0) Great work!

Thanks bunches Teki Smiley I feel proud that my purse got you posting  Grin Please please post your purses when you can....I'd love to see them!

littleone1098 I can't quite piture the handle you are describing Huh I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes  Roll Eyes

I've made a few purses with the ties just tied in a knot at the shoulder.....looks cool and it's easy  Grin

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone!! *hugs*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
backspace
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2004 03:24:12 AM »

I really love all of those purses. I made one from your tutorial awhile back and was forced by friends and family to make more, one for the sister, aunt, best friend, and more on the way. My cousin loved it too, but seeing as she lives in L.A. she wanted one she could keep safely under her arm as a handbag. I played with the idea for awhile and decided that using the wide ends just wouldn't work right and trying to find enough skinny ties would take too much work. Then it hit me, why not use all those skinny ends I had kept for no obvious reason? It's assembled in pretty much the same way, but with only one tie for each half of the strap.

Side one:

Side two:

It seems like the skinny ends like to curve as you sew them together, so I ended up (after some freaking out) with an assymetrical type thing along the opening. My brother decided that it looks more "LA" like that.
I wanted to put snaps on as a closure, but I had none and it was about 10:30 on Christmas Eve.

In closing, thank you, Smurfette, for providing me with something to give to those hard-to-craft-for people.

Edit:
I'm working out a way to make a zippered make-up pouch by putting the skinny ends together horizontally with the pointy end of one next to the hemmed of the next and so on. I'll post a pic here if I ever get around to it, and if I ever get a zipper.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 02:13:04 AM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sally Jenkinson Performs Valentines Day Poem "More Words Than We Deserve"
Raymond Antrobus Performs His Poem "Things That Look Like Love"
Rest in Pieces by Bess Lovejoy
Chemical Garden Trilogy - Sever by Lauren DeStefano
Oleander Girl by Chandra Divakaruni
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...