A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 306,101
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Faux Screenprinting and PVA glue: a warning for UK craftsters!  (Read 2881 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lazyhour
« on: March 13, 2006 04:30:55 AM »

Greetings.  I've joined this marvellous site after seeing craftgrrl's embroidery hoop screenprinting tutorial linked to from here.

Well, I'm in the UK, and can't get Mod(ge?) Podge anywhere here.  According to the Mod Podge website, the stuff can be cleaned up "with soap and water".  Just like PVA glue, I thought.  It looked like PVA glue (aka White Glue) wasn't so different to Mod Podge after all, so I tried my first design with it.

I did it last night, let it dry overnight, found a t-shirt and applied acrylic paint to it this morning.  So far, so good - I didn't put quite enough acrylic paint on in some areas, but for a first attempt it was not bad at all.

Here's the bad part:  I immediately rinsed the hoop with cold water, and gently rubbed at the acrylic paint to wash it off.  It came off easily.... and then so did bits of PVA glue.  By the time I'd got all the acrylic off, the glue had gone really sticky and gummy, and pretty much reverted back to its freshly-applied state.

I guess that's an awful lot of waffle to get to the point: Don't use PVA glue to make screens!

That said, I have a request:  Has any non-US craftster used any glues that worked really well?  Any brand names or specific glue types?  I don't know why it's been so hard to find this information on the internet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thrifty-One
(formerly Tallulah's-Friendly)

...what's he building in there?...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006 06:37:22 AM »

Hi, I'm in the UK, and about to try out faux screenprinting this afternoon.

I thought PVA would do it, too, but a bloke in the hardware shop told me that PVA wouldn't resist any water, so I bought Copy-Dex instead. I once used Copy-Dex for something a long time ago and remember it's sort of "gummy", its latex-based, i think, so should be alright near water. I'm a bit worried that it might be hard to control when painting it onto the screen, but am going to try "blobbing" it in dots rather than brushstrokes.

I'll let you know how I get on.  Wink

(Ps. - Long time lurker, first time poster!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lazyhour
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006 12:30:15 PM »

Thanks for your reply!  I haven't tried Copy-Dex, but I've just done a tester with weatherproof wood glue (specifically Evo-Stik Weatherproof Wood Adhesive, blue bottle with red cap), and it seems to be doing the trick!  It goes on almost exactly the same as PVA (maybe even slightly easier) and has withstood a cold-water rinse-out to wash out some acrylic paint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Thrifty-One
(formerly Tallulah's-Friendly)

...what's he building in there?...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006 05:42:45 AM »

Hi

Thanks for the tip on weatherproof glue. I had wondered about wood glue, but the weatherproof bit hadn't occured to me!

The Copy-Dex seemed to work ok - the paint rinsed out pretty well with cold water, I was careful not to scrub the glued area, though, I think that would cause trouble...

Not sure how I feel about the whole technique - my edges weren't as clean as I'd like, and found I had to hand paint over a lot of areas after printing, could just have been my stencilling though.

I've just tracked down a UK supplier of Speedball Photo Emulsion, (the US people on here seem to rave about it), so I think I might try that. Can already feel myself getting addicted to Screenprinting...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pink_water_fairy

when it gets dark enough you can see the stars

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006 04:56:51 AM »

Hi
I am in the UK - our local Hobbycraft store used to sell Mod Podge but their supplier went into liquidation, they suggested I try John Lewis.  But, you can buy it on-line here in the UK, if you search for mod podge on google loads of links come up - here is one http://www.doart.co.uk/acatalog/Glue1.html  and another one http://www.artbasehornchurch.com/acatalog/Scrapbooking_Online__Adhesives_5.html they have loads of different sorts of mod podge (shipping is cheaper at this second one)   Grin
I would try a local arts/crafts shop first
THIS ROCKS   Logged

woohoo i've got a new etsy shop at http://neatgirly.etsy.com
jojo9

meet my charming friend, the monkey gentleman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006 10:33:33 PM »

I'm in Glasgow and you can get Mod Podge in my local craft store, Millers.  I think they might have a website, if you google Millers Art Store Glasgow ( I would do it now but my computer has gone very slow and if I open another browser window it may give up entirely).  I don't know about mod podge being cleaned up with soap and water though. I got it all over a pair of trousers and  haven't been able to get it off... any tips would be appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...