A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 299,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vegan icecream!  (Read 2994 times)
Tags for this thread: recipe , ice_cream  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starmeg
« on: June 30, 2004 01:32:17 AM »

I've been making vegan icecream for a little while.  I bought an icecream maker second hand and had a little trial and error before I struck gold. 

This recipe is basic, and then I list some tom foolery for making it different.  I like this one because a) it doesn't call for maple syrup (which I can't afford to buy in NZ, but if you want you can sub it for the sugar), and b) you don't have to heat the mixture and then wait for it to cool before you freeze it like in most vegan recipes. 

Anyway, it's really really really good, and here it is:

1 block silken tofu (Mori-Nu or whatever)
3 tbl veg oil
3 tbl 'milk (soy, nut, oat, rice, whatever)
1/4 c castor sugar  (this is better than regular sugar because the granules are finer, so the ice cream doesn't get icy grit stuff in it)

Put all in a blender and then add the following:

for Peppermint Chip
1 tsp peppermint essence
Blend, then stir through 1/2 c chocolate chips before freezing according to your ice cream machine's instructions

for Vanilla
1 tbl vanilla essence

for Peanut Chocolate Chip
3 tbl peanut butter
2 tsp vanilla
Blend, then stir through 1/2 c chocolate chips before freezing according to your ice cream machine's instructions
Stir through 3-4 tbl chopped roasted peanuts too if you like

Other things that might be added:
nuts
nut butter
spices (e.g. cinnamon, cardamon)
other fruit essences (e.g. orange, lemon)
candied fruit peel

And at the end (when it comes out of the machine) you might like to swirl through:
chocolate sauce
caramel sauce
fruit puree

Anyway, I hope this helps any vegans who are homemade icecream deficient.  Let me know if it hits the spot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Toast.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004 04:28:03 PM »

Oh my god.
I need an ice cream maker.
Where did you get yours and what brand is it?

I wonder how many points ice cream is worth *smirk* My weightwatchers leader will love this new development. hah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starmeg
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004 02:19:18 AM »

hey kiwivegan.  I got mine from trademe (of course I did).  (trademe is NZ ebay).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004 02:33:04 AM »

We're going to make everyone think that all NZers are vegan at this rate! (well, actually I'm just vegetarian)

It's cool that we have more than just craft in common Smiley

Remind me to post my recipe for vegan/vegetarian (optional ingredients) sausage rolls!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog, fingers and toes
starmeg
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004 12:27:54 PM »

sausage rolls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I made some for my birthday party and they were the best but I just made them up as they went along and (of course) I forgot to write the ingredients down.

and now the vegan pastry has gone from the supermarket.  sigh.  pastry is life.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004 05:21:22 PM »

Which pastry did you get?  The stuff I get is from the refrigerator (all of the frozen stuff has lard in it).  It says it has margarine in it and then has a dash and lists other ingredients, which I assume are the margarine ingredients.  Nothing animal to my knowledge (fingers crossed!).

I made mine with a can of Sanitarium Savoury Lentils that I had lying around, but I reckon you could just cook up some brown lentils and add some tomato paste.  (optional egg and a handful of grated veg cheese)  Finely chopped cooked onions, and some garlic if desired.  Enough breadcrumbs to make it quite solid (the second batch I made I didn't have breadcrumbs, but found a pack of stuffing mix which worked quite well since it had herbs too).  And a huge handful (or two) of sunflower seeds.

Then I cut my (pre-rolled) pastry in half lengthwise, laid out a strip of sausage mix, and rolled it up, securing it with some (soy) milk.  Brush the tops with more milk and cook in a medium hot oven until golden brown!

Sooooo yum.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starmeg
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004 05:51:57 AM »

you know, when I lived in the US and I said "I reckon" they thought I was making fun of "red necks".  weird, eh? 

the pastry I used was some fancy business, "sundried tomato and herb" or some similar thing.  But I swear, on you reccommendation, I will check the fridge at the super.  I have been very concerned that I will actually have to learn how to make pastry and the thought of all that trial and error makes me feel quite bored. so, thanks for the advice.  and the recipe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cathou

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2004 06:47:43 AM »

sounds good, I just have to find an icecream maker.
And maple sirup, yum, we have it everywhere here, where like the maple sirup capital of the world  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
sarahdotcom

I'm not a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2004 02:36:33 PM »

Alison Holst's Meals Without Meat.  Never-fail recipe for pastry (disclaimer: I've never tried it with margarine though).  Of course, that only makes short pastry and if you want flaky puff pastry you have to roll it and fold it a thousand times, or just buy it!

I only said "I reckon" because we were all Kiwis in here!  Actually I lived in the States for a while too and I don't think I ever would have said it over there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pearl3
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2004 07:04:02 AM »

Wow.
Seriously. Us kiwis are actually really similar ay. I'm a vegetarian, and I too lived in the states for awhile. I was in Virginia, outskirts of DC, where were u guys?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The sun's gonna shine and the rain's gonna fall, and in the end you might get burnt or even wet, but that's life. So dance in the puddles and bathe in the sun, and at the end of the day, smile. Everything is gonna be alright."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Molded Candle
How to Arrange Flowers in a Wide Shallow Vase
How to Make a Votive Candle
How to Hold a Guitar Pick
How to Turn a Used Vinyl Record Into a Bowl
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...