A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,704
Currently Running With Scissors:
633 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Don't forget the Mid-Term hoopla  (Read 6331 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AngiR
« on: March 12, 2006 10:54:24 AM »

Just a reminder that you shouldn't be out there only every four years.  There are also the mid-term elections to consider.  This year, at least in Texas, the entire US House and Senate delgations are up for election.
So, pick a side, register (if you need to*) and vote!

*I say if you need to because there are some states you don't have to officially register, such as North Dakota.  They take the voter roles off drivers license/ ID lists.  If you are 18, you are on the list.

I'm personally have been working on a design for a scarf that basically says "Vote" along the side.  I just need to figure out a couple of things first.  Such as: Knit or Crochet.  I would love to do illusion, but i'm not too sure how to design that.  Any tutorials out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EowynUlysses
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 11:22:12 AM »

I don't know how to knit, but you could do a search on the boards. I know there is some way to knit a scarf so that the pattern only shows up when you look at it from one direction. Is that what you were talking about?

For crochet, I would make a scarf in single crochet and then surface crochet the word "vote" on it. You could also carry the second color along for a few rows and make your pattern that way. (Stitch n' Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hocker has directions for both of these in detail.

Do you already know how to knit and/or crochet? If not, I would recommend crochet, cause I'm biased like that. It is easier to pick up, I have heard from people who can do both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
AngiR
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006 08:07:47 PM »

I've been crocheting for about 25 years.  I think a tapestry would be great to put the word on it, and in fact while I was reading your post, I suddenly ended up with all these pictures in my head.  (I tend to think in pictures.) Thanks for the inspiration!
Knitting I picked up about two years ago, but I'm a quick learner.  I just need to figure out how to do the illusion thing.  The first SnB book had a scarf with an alien head on it, so maybe just rework what is there?   Huh

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration!  I appreciate it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006 09:11:24 PM »

I actually came up with an illusion-knitting alphabet at one point.  I made a scarf for a friend in her college colors with the name of the school "written" on/in it.  If you're still interested, I'll try and dig it up...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useratl
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006 10:14:43 PM »

Here's a ready, online Illusion Alphabet set:

http://www.lulu.com/content/117083
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AngiR
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 07:13:22 PM »

FANTASTIC!! Thanks!!! Grin
After I get the millions of other UFOs done, I may need to start this.  Maybe for the 2012 policital season?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Advanced Tracking - Shake 4.1
How to Create Heat Displacement - Shake 4.1
How to Create an Animation - SideFX Houdini
How to Use the Copy SOP - SideFX Houdini
How to Use Metaballs - SideFX Houdini
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...