A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
734 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Don't forget the Mid-Term hoopla  (Read 6343 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AngiR
« on: March 12, 2006 10:54:24 AM »

Just a reminder that you shouldn't be out there only every four years.  There are also the mid-term elections to consider.  This year, at least in Texas, the entire US House and Senate delgations are up for election.
So, pick a side, register (if you need to*) and vote!

*I say if you need to because there are some states you don't have to officially register, such as North Dakota.  They take the voter roles off drivers license/ ID lists.  If you are 18, you are on the list.

I'm personally have been working on a design for a scarf that basically says "Vote" along the side.  I just need to figure out a couple of things first.  Such as: Knit or Crochet.  I would love to do illusion, but i'm not too sure how to design that.  Any tutorials out there?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EowynUlysses
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 11:22:12 AM »

I don't know how to knit, but you could do a search on the boards. I know there is some way to knit a scarf so that the pattern only shows up when you look at it from one direction. Is that what you were talking about?

For crochet, I would make a scarf in single crochet and then surface crochet the word "vote" on it. You could also carry the second color along for a few rows and make your pattern that way. (Stitch n' Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hocker has directions for both of these in detail.

Do you already know how to knit and/or crochet? If not, I would recommend crochet, cause I'm biased like that. It is easier to pick up, I have heard from people who can do both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Personal swaps are fun!

Fun websites to give for free: thehungersite.com, freerice.com, care2.com

Wanted: Sock yarn scraps for a shawl.
AngiR
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006 08:07:47 PM »

I've been crocheting for about 25 years.  I think a tapestry would be great to put the word on it, and in fact while I was reading your post, I suddenly ended up with all these pictures in my head.  (I tend to think in pictures.) Thanks for the inspiration!
Knitting I picked up about two years ago, but I'm a quick learner.  I just need to figure out how to do the illusion thing.  The first SnB book had a scarf with an alien head on it, so maybe just rework what is there?   Huh

Thanks for the ideas and inspiration!  I appreciate it! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006 09:11:24 PM »

I actually came up with an illusion-knitting alphabet at one point.  I made a scarf for a friend in her college colors with the name of the school "written" on/in it.  If you're still interested, I'll try and dig it up...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useratl
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006 10:14:43 PM »

Here's a ready, online Illusion Alphabet set:

http://www.lulu.com/content/117083
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AngiR
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006 07:13:22 PM »

FANTASTIC!! Thanks!!! Grin
After I get the millions of other UFOs done, I may need to start this.  Maybe for the 2012 policital season?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make Me Up: Scouse Curtain Fringe
Fake a Bob Cut - No Scissors Needed
How to Get a Perfect Blowout Look
How to Get Sleek Straight Hair
Get Romantic Waves With a Curling Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...