A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
526 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about Dresses  (Read 1243 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

divinefaeriette

Syd Barrett <3

View Profile
« on: March 12, 2006 10:33:51 AM »

Okay, I have a question for all you lovely people.

This spring/summer I made the "I Am Going To Wear Dresses" vow, and now I want to start sewing them! However, I have no idea where to start. I'm sure some of you have been faced with a situation like this before, where you'll see things you like on Craftster, but then you won't know if the style will suit your larger-than-normal frame.

So, my question #1 is: Are there any styles of summer dresses that look particularily flattering on larger women? Any things that I should avoid? I'm also curious about the classic circle-skirt-plus-tube-top-and-straps dress. How does it look on a larger body?

Thanks in advance for any help.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Opiate eyes and summer skies.
Jasmine_xoxo

I live in terror of not being misunderstood -Wilde

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 11:44:54 AM »

Wrap style dresses always look flattering. You also need fabric with enough structure to not cling and show off every bump.

Avoid at all costs anything that accentuates your problem areas.

For tops I tend to like things that accentuate my chest, and hang somewhat straight over my stomach. A wrap top has a bit of wrinkle over the belly so it is more flattering.

On the bottom half something that doesn't hug tightly around your stomach (think peg leg pants) but hangs straight from your stomach to thigh is nice.
Also avoid anything that could chop you in half with a too tight line.

An empire waist is nice if the fabric doesn't bunch too much in front. That will accentuate the bust and camouflage the waist and hips.

I made a zillion pillow case skirts last spring by using 2 and cutting an A line skirt out. They look super nice, and the A line really helps fool the eye. Literally you can make a pattern yourself by figuring your waist and length and then making a trapezoid shape with the top reflecting your waist measurement plus seam allowance and some room for give (to go over hips). Angle slightly out from there down the the width of a fave skirt you already have. Et voila - A line skirt made easy. PS do not use elastic that is bunchy or else you will have extra fluff in the middle. Which is what we are trying to avoid with the A line in the first place. Also sew from the bottom up on pillow case skirts so you can make sure the pre finished hems match perfectly.

I also read fashion websites to see what works and what doesn't.

The other thing you can do is people watch. Find someone with a similar build and see what works on her and what doesn't. There is a girl in my office that I watch for that reason exactly. It's sort of like the show - what not to wear. Heh.

Best of luck!
XOXO
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006 12:05:10 PM »

Since my "problem" area is my tummy, I avoid waisted styles.  For me, princess style is the most flattering.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
divinefaeriette

Syd Barrett <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 12:17:13 PM »

Thanks you guys...My "problems" are my stomach, thighs and arms, in case that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Opiate eyes and summer skies.
libragirl
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006 03:20:34 PM »

Thanks you guys...My "problems" are my stomach, thighs and arms, in case that helps.

If arms are an issue a simple a-line dress with a shrug from a t-shirt(lots of recon ideas on craftster for that) is a cool summer look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my etsy shop
www.thecraftorium.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
CC Cream Reviews
The Rules to Wearing Dark Lipstick Like a Pro
The Trick to Covering Up Age Spots
The Nail Art Trend Is Over
Top Picks for Eye Shadow Primer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...