A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,158
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want this shrug  (Read 1611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhodora55
« on: March 17, 2006 05:47:08 AM »

http://www.torrid.com/store/product.asp?LS=4&RN=204&ITEM=541253

Does anyone have a tut or pattern suggestion?  I am a beginner so it will have to be pretty detailed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006 09:11:51 PM »

You might PM j_en.  She just made me a beautiful shrug for the fat girl swap and she has a pattern, or directions or something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 03:46:57 PM »

Hi!

I used a pattern - Butterick 6534, as seen here: http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B6534=x&TI=10003&page=5.

I was lucky enough to get this pattern, plus another identical one in a children's size, in a clearance.  Because there's several variations on shrugs and you are a beginner sewer I'd suggest you look closely at the pattern before you buy.  The one I used was just one piece, so you didn't have the hassle of setting in sleeves (which can be tedious with flimsy and/or sheer fabrics).  The Torrid one that you like has set in sleeves, which would mean in that see-through fabric you've got to get the armholes neat (not impossible - I've done it, but it can be frustrating for beginners).  That was why I liked the Butterick pattern.  My scanner has gone all wibbly on me, so here's the best I can do:
The advantage of just one piece was that I could use a patterned fabric (I was reconstructing from a thrift store wrap which had colours that I wanted) and adjust it to get good symmetry from the pattern, which can be trickier if you've got 3 pieces to put together.  Here's a photo to show what I mean:
.  I thought it was cool to get such a dramatic pattern lined up like this but it was much easier to do with a single pattern piece!
From the front:

The one you like has ties in front - they would be really, really easy to draft onto your pattern - just adjust the pattern piece to suit what you are adding or adjusting and this pattern is simple enough for you to get brave and just freehand it.  If I ever have time to sew again (Uni work is killing me) I want to try versions with fringes, bell sleeves and perhaps something dramatic that kind of drapes down at the back like a bit of a cape or something.  I might try these variations on the children's version so my daughter can enjoy the proceeds!
A note on the flimsy fabrics - your pattern will include pieces intended as a guide for making bias binding (something you do to flimsies to make neat edges).  If you are a real novice or are pushed for time, just buy a package of bias binding - you can get matte or satin finishes and they save you bucketloads of time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chocolate Sticky Buns with Chef Jehangir Mehta at Graffiti
Cheese Cave Advenutres with Cheese Expert Dennis Cottin at Artisanal
Hickory Smoked Barbecue Ribs Recipe
Yougurt Marinated Chicken Recipe
How to Cook Creole Fish
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...