A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
494 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I want this shrug  (Read 1603 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhodora55
« on: March 17, 2006 05:47:08 AM »

http://www.torrid.com/store/product.asp?LS=4&RN=204&ITEM=541253

Does anyone have a tut or pattern suggestion?  I am a beginner so it will have to be pretty detailed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006 09:11:51 PM »

You might PM j_en.  She just made me a beautiful shrug for the fat girl swap and she has a pattern, or directions or something. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006 03:46:57 PM »

Hi!

I used a pattern - Butterick 6534, as seen here: http://store.sewingtoday.com/cgi-bin/butterick/shop.cgi?s.item.B6534=x&TI=10003&page=5.

I was lucky enough to get this pattern, plus another identical one in a children's size, in a clearance.  Because there's several variations on shrugs and you are a beginner sewer I'd suggest you look closely at the pattern before you buy.  The one I used was just one piece, so you didn't have the hassle of setting in sleeves (which can be tedious with flimsy and/or sheer fabrics).  The Torrid one that you like has set in sleeves, which would mean in that see-through fabric you've got to get the armholes neat (not impossible - I've done it, but it can be frustrating for beginners).  That was why I liked the Butterick pattern.  My scanner has gone all wibbly on me, so here's the best I can do:
The advantage of just one piece was that I could use a patterned fabric (I was reconstructing from a thrift store wrap which had colours that I wanted) and adjust it to get good symmetry from the pattern, which can be trickier if you've got 3 pieces to put together.  Here's a photo to show what I mean:
.  I thought it was cool to get such a dramatic pattern lined up like this but it was much easier to do with a single pattern piece!
From the front:

The one you like has ties in front - they would be really, really easy to draft onto your pattern - just adjust the pattern piece to suit what you are adding or adjusting and this pattern is simple enough for you to get brave and just freehand it.  If I ever have time to sew again (Uni work is killing me) I want to try versions with fringes, bell sleeves and perhaps something dramatic that kind of drapes down at the back like a bit of a cape or something.  I might try these variations on the children's version so my daughter can enjoy the proceeds!
A note on the flimsy fabrics - your pattern will include pieces intended as a guide for making bias binding (something you do to flimsies to make neat edges).  If you are a real novice or are pushed for time, just buy a package of bias binding - you can get matte or satin finishes and they save you bucketloads of time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
ADGreenroom2013_Timelapse-LowRes.Mp4
Madeline Stuart Interview, Architectural Digest Greenroom at 2013 Oscars
ADGreenroom2013_EPK-LowRes.Mp4
Madeline Stuart Interview, Architectural Design Greenroom at 2013 Oscars
How to Make a Baby Travel Kit
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...