A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
566 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stitch n' bitch felted marsupial tote  (Read 50594 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jules
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2003 02:13:16 PM »

Thanks for the blocking info, it' s helpful--I, too wound up knitting more on the CC part...the pattern definetly had a typo

The charcoal/pink bag looks great--good job!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2003 03:38:28 PM »

must....learn.....to....knit! and to do this fabulous felting thing! that charcoal and pink bag is amazing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bee

ohhh eeee it stung me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2003 06:20:10 AM »

Basically, you have a tote or whatever that you've already felted, and you have to have some yarn scraps and felting needles--  Then:
    [*] place the foam under your project (under one side of a felted tote, for example)
    [*] place yarn where you want it to go--you just cut your pieces and then lay them down on top.
    [*] stab your yarn so that it goes just through the yarn and the felted piece, but not too far down under the foam
    [*] keep stabbing until you feel like the pattern is on securely
    [*] apply a little water with non-rinse detergent in it to smooth out the design.
    If you order felting needles, they come with instructions, and I can post more details if anyone is interested...next time, I promise to take pics as I do it...

hi.  i would really like it if you could take some pictures next time you do this.  i would love to try it.  i really like your designs too!  Thanks so much.  -bee
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

je love toi so much.
    cameras4toys

"Tears are the orgasm of laughter!"

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #33 on: January 02, 2004 01:35:55 PM »

i'm so confused by that "right twist" stitch...i understand the directions to say that you knit the second stitch on the needle, and then go back and knit the first, and then slide them off together...i'm also confused about what to do when i get to the markers.

Hi there,

You've pretty much got it - you stick the needle into the second stitch, knit it but do not slide it off the needle, then knit into the first stitch, then slide both stitches off the left needle and onto the right needle.  This is what gives it the twist look, because you are twisting the second stitch over the first, basically.

Re: the markers ... the markers define the sides from the front and back.  In this pattern, if I remember correctly, you want to do the RT with the first two stitches after a marker, and with the last two stitches before the marker.  What to do with the actual marker?  Just slide it over.  After a few inches, you won't even need the marker because the RT parts look very different from the stockinette stitch.

Have fun,

Kristi
    actually for this pattern you just do the RT with the last 2 stitches before the marker. i think it's a good idea though to keep the markers so you can easily count how many stitches you have in case you think you've gotten off track.
    the RT stitch feels really weird the first few times, because you really have to wiggle the needle around to get it where it needs to go. if you still have trouble i could try to take some pictures to show it better...

I though you do RT before AND after the marker.  That's what I did anyway.  I'm starting the top accent color tonight, we'll se how it goes. I chose Fuchia main and charcoal for the top.

Thanks for the tip to get a zippered pillowcase. I'll swing by the thrift store tonight.

I'm also going to look for white aran sweaters to felt into a quilt. Oh what fun will be had.  
    Any ideas on what to back a fleted square quilt with?
    I saw the ideas on http://www.getcrafty.com/read/craft/features/felting/index.html
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

cameras4toys

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #34 on: January 03, 2004 12:58:10 AM »

I finished my first Stitch n' Bitch Project tonight!!
    I started on New year's eve - it was so quick and easy.  I can't wait to make another one. I used Fuschia and Charcoal grey.

My handles seem really long - nothing wrong with that - maybe I need to shrink it more.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2004 01:14:09 AM by cameras4toys » THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaguelyVogue
    Lauri Loves You!

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #35 on: January 03, 2004 09:32:15 AM »

If you order felting needles, they come with instructions, and I can post more details if anyone is interested...next time, I promise to take pics as I do it...

please post more details, how do you finish off the back of what hangin in the foam?  (ive never felted anything before, so i dont even know the process) what type of yarn do you use?

Looks very cool though!

LaURi C.
             *very excited about felting something now*
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    cameras4toys

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #36 on: January 03, 2004 11:34:10 AM »

I am having a problem seeing how this pouch goes together.  Did I do something wrong?

If you can't see the photo try this link http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=711064
    THIS ROCKS   Logged

slick
    « Reply #37 on: January 04, 2004 12:59:35 PM »

please post more details, how do you finish off the back of what hangin in the foam?  (ive never felted anything before, so i dont even know the process) what type of yarn do you use?

Hi bee and VaguelyVogue,
    Here are some directions I came up with.  I didn't have a new project I was working on, but I took photos of my felted tote as if I was going to put a heart design on it, and I'll include a different picture of my latest kitty design on a felted bag.  There shouldn't be anything hanging in the foam because you are just using it as a backing.  The yarn all goes directly on top of your item, in this case, bag.

1.  First, you must have a bag or other item that you have ALREADY felted.  You can find directions on how to felt on http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter03/FEATfelthis.html

2.  Then, you put foam under whatever you want to put your design on.  In the case of a bag, you put it inside the bag.  

3.  Lay down a piece of yarn to create a line of a design you want to make (in this case, half of a heart design)

4. Stab piece of yarn with a felting needle to get it to stick to object.  You poke just hard enough to go through the bag and into the foam. First, just poke in key places to make it stick.  Then poke all over to make it really stick.  You must experience this to believe it.  It doesn't seem like it would work, but it does!!  

5.  If you like it, keep going, and add more yarn to create a design, and keep stabbing.  If you need to rearrange yarn, it's easy to pull out at this point.  But do so with tweezers, not the felting needle because they are fragile and might break.  Just use them for stabbing.

6.  Since this was just a demo, here is my latest and most favorite kitty design that I put on a felted bag:

Let me know if you have more questions, and I'll try to answer them!  Good luck and let me know how it goes! Best, Slick

THIS ROCKS   Logged
    jpants
    « Reply #38 on: January 07, 2004 09:54:31 AM »

Here is my felted bag.  I got the giggles when I saw missjenny's post, they are so similar!  Go pink and grey! The star is the wrist cuff pattern, just doubled. I changed a few of the lines because it doesn't double quite right.  I was afraid it would turn into a big blob, but it looks good. I used some left over lopi and have left it furry, because I like it like that.  I made the pouch a little bigger than the pattern to find my cell phone.  All I want to do is make felted bags!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    BREEZY
    « Reply #39 on: January 17, 2004 05:47:36 PM »

That looks great! I saw the pattern for that in the Stitch 'n Bitch and wanted to try it. Now i definatly will! I also saw in "Knit-IT" magazine a pattern for felted slippers....I have a strong feeling felting is going to become a new obsession!
    THIS ROCKS   Logged
    Threads you might like:
    Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23 Jump to page:
      Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
    only results with images
    include swap threads
    advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
    How to Create a Thread Through your Images
    How to Create a Sun Star Image Effect Part 1/2
    How to Create a Sun Star Image Effect Part 2/2
    How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 1/2
    How to Choose a Wardrobe for an Outdoor Portrait Part 2/2
    Latest Blog Articles
    @Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
    Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
    These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
    Become a
    Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
    Buy Craft Supplies
    Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
    Moderators

Follow Craftster...