A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
484 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stitch n' bitch felted marsupial tote  (Read 57301 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2003 05:20:14 AM »

slick kitty,
I love your purse! The color choices are great.
I am making a second one for my best friend in less "Dr. Seuss" colors- (black, sage and periwinkle). I have noticed that since I have been using it, my icord is stretchin' out a bit- how many stitches did you use for your icord? I think I used 6 for mine- hmmm- maybe less the next time.

You can see pics at http://www.reenieart.com/knitting.htm

How many times did you felt your bag? I ended up doing mine 3 times- I think I will make my next one longer before felting- I knit the first one 15 inches.

reenie Grin
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004 04:56:46 PM by reenie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Material Whirled- my online shop
Reenie's Ramblings
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2003 08:33:30 AM »

Hi Reenie,
Thanks for the idea of mutating it! I only used three stitches on the I-cord, and it's thin, but sturdy.  

I also felted mine for a long time--it really helps to use someone's washer where you can control the agitation cycle--that way you can keep checking it, and then setting the agitation for longer.  I made a pretty small bag--used size 11 needles, and it has gotten smaller, but I like it just big enough to carry a book!  

Slick Wink
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2003 08:18:33 PM »

Hey impossiblecalm,

did you make yours exactly like in the book? What were your final measurements (after felting?)

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2003 03:54:02 PM »

Hey Impossiblecalm,

Your felted bag looks great!  I made the same bag (even in limeade, but w/ hot pink yarn at top)  Mine was VERY furry, and somewhat misshapen-boo.  Do you have any blocking tips?  How did you block your bag?  Any advice is appreciated!

My house is messy, but I make cool stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2003 04:40:24 PM »

I finished my marsupial tote yesterday.  I used Lamb's Pride Deep Charcoal for the main color and Lotus Pink for the accent (something about this bag just begs for the hot pink, doesn't it?)

Here's the bag immediately after felting:

The mohair sticking out makes the thing look like a freakin' Muppet.  My boyfriend liked the hairy look, but I couldn't handle it, so it got a shave from my handy Daisy disposable razor.

Nothing like standing in your kitchen shaving a bag to make you feel like a total dork.

Here's the final product:

I decided not to make the little marsupial pocket to go with it.  Something about felted I-cord squicks me out -- maybe the umbilical-cordness of it. I don't know.

Instead, I'm using the leftovers to make the windy city scarf from the same book:

One good thing to know about this project is that you can get away with WAYYYY less than the five skeins listed on the pattern.   In fact, I only used 2 skeins of the MC and 1 of the CC.  The pattern calls for you to knit with two strands of yarn, so I just knit from both ends of the pink skein.  I did the bag (and actually made it a teensy bit bigger than the pattern called for) and still had plenty left over for the scarf.

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2003 05:45:09 PM »

I really looooove that bag---the shape, the colors--it's fabulous!
How long did it take you to make it?

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2003 06:09:20 PM »

It really didn't take that long to make.  Only a couple of days.  There was one stretch of 2.5 hours that I knitted pretty steadily in the car, though.

Because it's knit on size 15 needles, it actually knits up really quickly.

And the felting didn't take very long at all.  I didn't want to wait for my machine's rinse cycle, so I just filled my kitchen sink with icy cold water and ran back and forth a couple times with the bag.

The longest part is waiting for it to dry!  I took it to my stitch'n'bitch today even though it was a teensy bit damp, just because I couldn't wait another second to use it!
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2003 08:04:44 AM »

The mohair sticking out makes the thing look like a freakin' Muppet.

I made a similar felted bag with the Lamb's Pride Dark Charcoal and Jade Green, and the same thing that happened to your grey yarn  also happened to mine after the felting. I didn't notice it as much with the green yarn that I used, so I'm trying again with two different colors. Hopefully it won't turn out how it did last time: like a wooly mammoth.   :>

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2003 08:13:08 AM »

Allison --

Shaving the bag made a HUGE difference!  The silver fibers just don't felt into the bag and so they stick out all over.  The pink looked fine, though.  I called my LYS and they told me to shave all over the bag with a disposable razor.  It looked much better after that.  I don't know if you can tell, but in the lower photo, the final product is much smoother.  There's still the texture of the silver yarn, but it isn't furry at all.

Don't give up on your bag!

(: jenny
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2003 01:56:30 PM »

Hey impossiblecalm,

did you make yours exactly like in the book? What were your final measurements (after felting?)

i didn't have size 15 needles so i used 17. i also cast on 20 stitches for the bottom and knit 48 rows instead of 44. i probably knit about 8 rounds before binding off for the handles instead of 4 like the pattern says (i really think that must have been a typo cause it looks like way more than 4 in the pictures)
the handles sides are about 8" wide after felting and the other 2 sides are about 6.5"
i really wish i hadn't bothered with the inside pouch now. it might not have been a problem if you felt it inside a zippered pillowcase, but the icord/pouch can get caught and pulled on pretty hard in the washer and it made a weird puckery spot on the bag where it's connected.

my aunt saw my bag on christmas and loved it SO MUCH that i have to make her one now in the same colors but switched

as far as blocking went, i actually put in in the dryer for a little while to get most of the moisture out, then i just left it on the kitchen table stuffed with plastic shopping bags for a couple days. i also tried putting some dictionaries on the handles so they wouldn't roll but that didn't work so well!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diane Von Furstenberg on Young Love
The Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl
Writers on Their Unshakable Love for New York
Discover the Power of Your Heart
Allison Gutknecht on the Book That Changed Her Life
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Spinach Feta Breakfast Quiche
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...