A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stitch n' bitch felted marsupial tote  (Read 49795 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elliela

And knitting and knitting and knitting......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2003 08:42:33 AM »

I made the Fuzzy Feet from Knitty as my first felted project and they came out great. After people saw them, everyone wanted a pair!

Here's the before:

And after:

The best advice I was given about cutting down on the felting mess, is to put the item in a zippered pillowcase.
It worked great!

I love the way your marsupial tote turned out and think that will be my next felting project.

Take care,
Ellen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

actionallison
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2003 05:26:30 PM »

Hey impossiblecalm,

I'm in the midst of knitting that right now, but I have one minor question: did you knit with two strands held together for the entire bag or just when casting on?

you did an awesome job on the bag; those colors look super together.

Thanks!!

allison
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2003 05:57:28 PM »

Wow, both of those projects look GREAT!  I discovered this cool thing you can do with felting needles.  Basically, you have a tote or whatever that you've already felted, and you have to have some yarn scraps and felting needles--these are super sharp--and you can get them at any knitting store or online as well at www.fiberfanatics.com   and some foam.  Then:
  • place the foam under your project (under one side of a felted tote, for example)
  • place yarn where you want it to go--you just cut your pieces and then lay them down on top.
  • stab your yarn so that it goes just through the yarn and the felted piece, but not too far down under the foam
  • keep stabbing until you feel like the pattern is on securely
  • apply a little water with non-rinse detergent in it to smooth out the design.

Here are my samples:

If you order felting needles, they come with instructions, and I can post more details if anyone is interested...next time, I promise to take pics as I do it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
miniknitter
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2003 07:52:23 AM »

i just finished my first felted project -- slippers.  i made the mistake of not felting a swatch first, though, to see how my yarn would shrink up, and because of that they turned out huge!  so i've gotta try again.  but it was really satisfyingly easy and fast -- you get to knit on big needles, and your mistakes tend to disappear.  so no worries for beginners.  just knit and test felt a 4 inch square to be safe!!

the slippers were the felted fuzzyfeet pattern at www.knitty.com

I started a pair of Fuzzy Feet last night and got a bit confused confronting the heel portion.  I've never made socks before but I thought I would give it a try.  The instructions on the knitty.com website called for working 11 stitches at first, but then indicated 22 stitches so, I just went for the 22.

Reading the instructions for joining the heel to the instep is a bit confusing to me, but I'm just working the "sock" one step at a time.

Any tips for those of you who have completed a pair of Fuzzy Feet?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2003 09:59:25 AM »

i'm so glad that you started this thread!  i'm planning on making the felted bag during my time off over the holidays with some left over lopi that i have.  i have a question specifically about the felted tote.  i'm so confused by that "right twist" stitch.  i was planning on going to my lys so they can show me how to do it, but maybe someone can explain it and i can get started right away.  i understand the directions to say that you knit the second stitch on the needle, and then go back and knit the first, and then slide them off together, i've tried this on a few other projects that i'm doing and i can not figure out how to go back and knit that first stitch after knitting the second.  i'm also confused about what to do when i get to the markers.  how do i make that distinction between the different sides that is so obvious in your bag?  

i want to make this bag!! please help me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristi
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2003 11:52:48 AM »

i'm so confused by that "right twist" stitch...i understand the directions to say that you knit the second stitch on the needle, and then go back and knit the first, and then slide them off together...i'm also confused about what to do when i get to the markers.

Hi there,

You've pretty much got it - you stick the needle into the second stitch, knit it but do not slide it off the needle, then knit into the first stitch, then slide both stitches off the left needle and onto the right needle.  This is what gives it the twist look, because you are twisting the second stitch over the first, basically.

Re: the markers ... the markers define the sides from the front and back.  In this pattern, if I remember correctly, you want to do the RT with the first two stitches after a marker, and with the last two stitches before the marker.  What to do with the actual marker?  Just slide it over.  After a few inches, you won't even need the marker because the RT parts look very different from the stockinette stitch.

Have fun,

Kristi
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impossiblecalm
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2003 05:54:38 PM »

Hey impossiblecalm,

I'm in the midst of knitting that right now, but I have one minor question: did you knit with two strands held together for the entire bag or just when casting on?

i knit the whole thing with 2 strands held together. i just used 2 skeins at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
impossiblecalm
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2003 06:00:18 PM »

i'm so confused by that "right twist" stitch...i understand the directions to say that you knit the second stitch on the needle, and then go back and knit the first, and then slide them off together...i'm also confused about what to do when i get to the markers.

Hi there,

You've pretty much got it - you stick the needle into the second stitch, knit it but do not slide it off the needle, then knit into the first stitch, then slide both stitches off the left needle and onto the right needle.  This is what gives it the twist look, because you are twisting the second stitch over the first, basically.

Re: the markers ... the markers define the sides from the front and back.  In this pattern, if I remember correctly, you want to do the RT with the first two stitches after a marker, and with the last two stitches before the marker.  What to do with the actual marker?  Just slide it over.  After a few inches, you won't even need the marker because the RT parts look very different from the stockinette stitch.

Have fun,

Kristi
actually for this pattern you just do the RT with the last 2 stitches before the marker. i think it's a good idea though to keep the markers so you can easily count how many stitches you have in case you think you've gotten off track.
the RT stitch feels really weird the first few times, because you really have to wiggle the needle around to get it where it needs to go. if you still have trouble i could try to take some pictures to show it better...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jpants
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2003 07:03:25 AM »

Thanks so much for your help.  I realize that I was reading the pattern wrong and now it makes sense to me.
Impossible-that's just what i was worried about, knitting that second stitch and then reaching back around and getting the first.  but i'm always up for learning something new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
slick
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2003 03:58:32 PM »

Thanks for inspiration to Reenie, I did a mutated version of my own.  More bag, less tote like.  I also added eyelash thread near the top, and i-cord straps!
Here is before:

And after felting:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Pot Luck Cheese Platter
How to Make a Cheese Plate Extraordinaire
How to Make Gourmet Turkey Gravy
How to Make Bacon Part 2
How to Make Bacon Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...