A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stitch n' bitch felted marsupial tote  (Read 48362 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lila_fowler
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2004 12:27:37 PM »

Well I finally got around to felting my tote. I was a bit nervous because I accidentally bought bulky wool and all of the felting directions I read said to use 2 strands of worsted. So I used 1 strand of bulky instead. I put it through quite a few cycles because I thought the bag was way too big when first knitted (big bag means I lug more unneseccasry junk around with me).  Halfway through the cycles though it fell out of the pillowcase (I had to tie up an old one, we don't have any zippered ones). It was a pain to try to get as much fuzz out of the washing machine as I could so it wouldn't wash out with the water and clog the drain.

Anyways I think it turned out nice, if not a bit too hairy. I guess I will have to decide if I want to shave it or not.

Oh yeah, and also I couldn't find Lamb's Pride where I live so I use Lopi instead, The colour selection isn't as stunning as the Lamb's Pride colours but they do have some nice ones. Of course the colour selection in bulky is the smallest. If I only bought worsted I would have had so much more to choose from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillz

Great Googly Moogly!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: May 12, 2004 12:55:39 PM »

The thing I like about making handbags is that if your gauge is off or you make a few mistakes it doesn't really matter.  You can experiement so much with handbags with some pretty spectacular results.

Do you have any pics of your bag, lilafowler?

jillz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--
jillz
Purl Up With A Good Yarn
http://jillz.typepad.com/
lila_fowler
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2004 01:49:08 PM »

I will take pictures later when it is all dried up and post them!

I also didnt totally follow the directions for the size of the tote. I did what I thought that I would like better. It isn't much different than the instructions though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WrdyGrrl

Actually, I'm a polymath.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2004 08:34:27 AM »

I've got a few projects that I used needle felting on as well - and used some roving that I bought and then couldn't figure out what to use it on!

www.frog-it.com - click on the PUrses.

If you order felting needles, they come with instructions, and I can post more details if anyone is interested...next time, I promise to take pics as I do it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bagheraa

I'm not a llama! (I am a black leopard)

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2004 06:47:28 AM »

Here are my two Marsupial Totes.
The first one is the pattern size, it turned out much smaller than I had figured from the pictures in the book.
The last one is about double the pattern size, 30x66 sts.

-bag-
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bagheraa is on Ravelry Wink
Miss Morbus
« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2004 06:57:33 AM »

i really like the bigger one.  i am wanting to make one big enough to keep some of my knitting stuff in, along with the stitch n bitch book.  i think i will just double to pattern too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can kill you with my brain.
redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2004 10:13:10 AM »

I made another tote the other day and felted it last night. I used yarn that was 100% wool to avoid fuzziness. Unfortunately, it was fuzzier than the one I made with the wool/mohair blend.  Huh I'm beginning to think that maybe I don't felt it right. I just put it in the washer on a hot/cold cycle. Other than the fuzz it felts up nicely.  Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do differently?

Luckily I was able to get it nice and smooth with one of my dad's old electric razors, but I wish I could get it that way in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2004 03:36:30 PM »

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do differently?
Honestly, I think it is the brand of yarn. I used Galway, which is 100% wool, and it didn't fuzz up at all. My sister has used 100% of a different brnad and hers fuzzed quite a bit. As long as your dad doesn't mind using his razor, you might be okay.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brae_Day
« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2004 10:42:25 AM »

YAY hopefully now I will get some answers... this project has been left undone for days... I have the bottom of the bag knitted and all of the correct stitches picked up... but it just seems like my circular needles are too short!  I have no room to do much of anything.  I used the right length of needles, and my knitting is the appropriate tightness, (what's that called, again?) Did I miss something, or is it supposed to be that way? 

I was tempted so many times to unravel it and knit something else, but I just love this tote too much.  Hopefully all y'all craftster gals can help me out!  Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 11, 2004 12:49:41 PM »

My experience from knitting in the round is that it's always tight on the first couple of rounds. Also, you have to be careful with the picked up stitches. The way they are wound around the needle makes it really easy to cinch up like a noose and it can be tough to slip some of the stitches from the cord onto the needle itself. Each time I've made this bag I've had to constantly try and loosen the stitches so they would slide around the first round. After that it went really smoothly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chains
An Olympic Athlete Who Is Also an Artist
How to Draw The Powerpuff Girls
How to Draw Sonic the Hedgehog
How to Draw Super Mario
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...