A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: stitch n' bitch felted marsupial tote  (Read 49110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rabideloise
Karina

rabideloise

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2005 04:20:53 PM »

I want to make this so badly, and now that I have a circular I can, but I don't have the book--I used my sister's copy, and I'm away at university.  Does anyone have the pattern? 

thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love The Damned
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 25, 2005 05:41:32 PM »

Oooh, knitkatgrrl, what yarns did you use?  Your bag looks nice and soft, not scratchy.
I made the pouch with its own i-cord strap.  I used Lamb's Pride bulky in Lotus Pink and a silver lame (ugh, dunno how to add accent aigu) novelty yarn from Italy.  The button is a huge fake pearl encircled by rhinestones.  Garish, but me likey.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
knitkatgrrl

Here knitty kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 26, 2005 09:59:37 AM »

SewerRat~

I used Reynolds Lopi 100% virgin wool.  I am not sure what the colors were, just a turq and a salmon color.  The yarn is super scratchy before it's felted, but now it's good.  I couldn't WEAR something felted out of this yarn, but it made for a good tote bag! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you can't beat 'em, knit for 'em.
Veggiechick
« Reply #173 on: March 06, 2005 10:23:46 AM »

Hey everyone! I love this bag and seeing all of these makes me want to create my own. I have gathered that this is a pretty easy bag so I went out yesterday and bought some yarn to use. Pretty much I'm sick of making scarves and when I raided my mom's yarn stash I couldnt' fin any colours that really appealed to me. So anyways, we went to the new LYS and I bought some cascade yarn. It's lovely, it really is. But it was also super expensive, and because my mom didn't have 10mm circs, I bought a new pair of those and they weren't exactly cheap either. I worry I may have spent a little much but I was wandering how much all of you others had dropped. I think it'll be worth it but I'm still curious. (Oh... by expensive I mean this is a $70 project.  Undecided) All of your bags have been lovely and you've all inspired me. I can't wait to get started!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Brae_Day
« Reply #174 on: March 06, 2005 05:50:13 PM »

Heh.  That was totally me, too.  $68.  Part of it was 'cause I was new at knitting and didn't really shop around for cheaper yarn.  I also found that it took one skein less of each color than the patern called for.

But a year later, trust me... I don't miss the money and I have an awesome bag I show off all the time.  So as long as you didn't have to choose between yarn, and say... electricity, I wouldn't sweat it.

Plus, you'll never need to buy the needles again, so you're good there, too.

I had the SAME buyer's remorse as you, but like I said earlier, I feel that it was totally worth it.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redbirdrae

David, by Hasselhoff

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 06, 2005 06:56:10 PM »

I can't recall exactly what I spent on my first tote, but I assume I bought the requisite 5 skeins called for in the pattern, though I'm pretty sure I only used 3 too (when you hold two strands together, pull from both ends of the yarn--you can keep the extra skeins whole). I know I made a Kittyville hat and a pair of mittens out of the leftovers. But I just used Lamb's Pride and I don't think the total was more than $35-$40. My LYS doesn't carry the Cascade--is it that much more expensive than the Lamb's Pride?

My policy is to never regret yarn purchases. Mostly because I'd spend most of my time regretting things. I bet you'll get more than the bag out of your yarn, and it's not like yarn goes bad, so you can start your own stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Veggiechick
« Reply #176 on: March 06, 2005 08:59:01 PM »

Okay - maybe if I can make something else out of this yarn then it's okay. We looked around town but of course everything at Michael's is acrylic, and besides this new store in town I only know of one other place that sells this wool yarn made in New Brunswick. (sorry, I forget the name) And I am a purse fiend so I'm sure I'll get some use out of this bag, lol. I haven't been able to find any Lamb's Pride in town (Cry) but the cascade stuff was $11 CAD a skein, and since I'm relatively new to the magical and wonderful world of knitting that seemed expensive to me but maybe it's just because I'll always be a bargain shopper at heart, lol.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 06, 2005 09:31:00 PM »

What is the exchange rate?  My totes cost between $21- 40 US dollars each.  Beware!  This felted purse-making business is highly addictive.  I think I'm alll set gift-wise through Christmas '07! 

Do you have a Michael's or Jo-Ann's that carries Paton's merino in aran or Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool?  Both can be dyed with Kool-aid (another addictive project) and felted with good results and both are pretty cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilovepaper
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2005 03:29:43 AM »

ah ha! I can handle $20.00 to make this bag, thanks for the tip sewer rat. I had the same problem as veggie chick. When I went to my snooty LYS and priced the materials it was over $75 and I couldn't justify it for "another" bag. OK, this project moved up on my "to-do" list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewer Rat

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2005 05:52:35 AM »

Here's a link to a beautiful felted purse made out of Kool-aid dyed Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool:
 http://www.drummondnews.ca/feltedbagpat.html
The colors are lovely and muted.  You can also achieve more vibrant colors by using more packets of drink mix or by using food paste dyes.

The Marsupial Totes I made using Lamb's Pride worsted, required 3-4 skeins, which cost about $6.50 US per skein. 

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Find the Right Red Lipstick for You
Jeannine Morris Gives You the Best Winter Beauty Secrets
Best New Beauty Products for March
Make Your Own All-Natural Physical Sunscreen
Cover Your Pimples Like a Supermodel
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...