A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
568 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Middle Eastern Toe-Up Socks - Now With Pattern  (Read 3836 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

onthinice
« on: March 12, 2006 06:44:43 AM »

Here is my first try at Middle Eastern toe-up socks.  They are knit with a Turkish cast-on, and the funky triangular heel is knit last.  They really should have a wild and crazy design throughout the socks, but I have not learned pattern knitting yet.  <It is on my list.>

If anyone else has made a pair of these, I would love to see them.  No one around my area has heard of them.

I used two US size 3 circular needles and Karisma yarn to knit these socks.  The advice I received for what size needles to use is:

Yarn Size       Needle Size
Sport            0, 1, or 2
Worsted        2, 3, or 4
Bulky            as big as you can find

You can make them one at a time or both at the same time.  Here is where I learned how to knit two socks at the same time:  http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/lessontwo.htm  Disregard the instructions on the website for casting on and do a Turkish cast-on instead then follow the sites general instructions for using one ball of yarn for each sock.  I get messed up when casting on both socks on the same set of needles, so I cast them on separate sets of needles and then slide one socks cast-on stitches back onto the other socks set of needles and go from there.  For simplicity, my instructions are written for knitting one sock on two circular needles.

I like the Turkish cast-on, but you can also use a Figure 8 or traditional sock cast-on.  The Turkish and Figure 8 cast-ons eliminate the need to close up the little hole that is left when a traditional sock cast-on is made and then joined in the round.

TOE
Cast-on eight stitches with Turkish cast-on method.  This site is where I learned the Turkish cast-on:  http://snipurl.com/nf9s  The pointed part of the sock toe will cover your big toe, so the sock does not look pointy when you are wearing it.  If you want a less pointed toe, cast on two more stitches.

Row 1:  K1, M1, K to last stitch on needle, M1 K1.  Continue pattern on second needle.

Row 2:  Knit

The toe will appear really pointy at the beginning.  Dont worry, that is the way it is supposed to look.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until the toe covers (without stretching much) over your toes, not including your pinky toe (Remember socks stretch to fit.  Not including the pinky allows for the best fit.)

BODY
Knit in the round until the sock reaches your instep when you try it on.  Your instep is the top part of your foot that meets your leg.  Or, lay the sock flat on the floor and step on it.  The sock length should be 1 to 2 inches from the end of your heel.

Using waste yarn in a contrasting color, knit across the first needle.  Then pick up your sock yarn and knit the first needle again in whatever color pattern you are using, over the waste yarn.  Continue knitting on both needles until you have reached the desired length of the leg of the sock.  The waste yarn method for knitting the heel last allows you to follow your color pattern from the foot of the sock right up the leg without breaking your pattern or having to figure out how to keep the pattern intact like you would have to if you made a traditional Western European / American styled heel.

Cast-off very loosely.  I used a US size 10 needle to cast-off.  If you do not cast-off loosely enough, you will not be able to pull the sock over your instep and heel when you put it on.

Instead of weaving in my two colors of yarn ends at the cuff of my sock, I made them into a twisted cord.  Take one color and twist it clockwise until it wants to twist back on itself if you give it a little slack.  Hold the twist in it while you twist the other color of yarn clockwise, holding it separate from the first.  Now twist both pieces of yarn counterclockwise together, and they will become one fat twisted cord.  Knot the end to keep the twist in place.

HEEL
Pick up the waste yarn stitches on your needles and remove the waste yarn.

Row 1:  K1, K2tog, K to last three stitches on the needle, K2tog, K1.  Continue pattern on second needle.

Row 2:  Knit

Repeat heel rows 1 and 2, decreasing every other row until there are 6 stitches left on each needle.

Use kitchener stitch to seam the heel stitches together.  There is an excellent video on how to do the kitchener stitch on this website:  http://snipurl.com/njiu

Weave in yarn ends at heel and toe.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006 01:51:12 PM by onthinice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

red_willow
the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 07:28:01 AM »

Oh I love those what pattern did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog for more fo's and uf's!: http://wildthingsknits.blogspot.com/

Come visit my store: http://theredwillow.etsy.com
heart_bats

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006 08:24:34 AM »

Interesting!  How do they fit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodi1978
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 08:51:11 AM »

Those are great. Cheesy  Pattern please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flyingmouse29

you want me to what? knit? ok!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006 08:57:58 AM »

those look really cool. how do they look when you're wearing them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wistfulplying.blogspot.com - blog
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
http://www.ravelry.com/people/Flyingmouse29 - friend me on ravelry!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Writer78
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006 07:42:29 PM »

wicked-cool, as always!   Grin  Great work!  Is there anything this lady can't make??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006 07:48:56 PM »

Man, I love socks so much right now,  I really like yours, just the one main color and then the heels makes it really great.  I haven't seen socks like that either. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onthinice
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006 08:25:24 PM »

I added an action shot and my pattern.  Please excuse my pastey white legs.  I would blame it on the camera's flash, but I am a pale one anyway.

They fit fine.  The triangular heel rounds out when it stretches to fit my foot, and the socks do not slouch too much even though there is no ribbing.  I started with a handout from a class for knitting on double points, but I changed it for circular needles.  This is the first time I have adjusted a pattern to my liking and posted it, so please let me know if I left anything out or was unclear about something.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006 10:40:10 AM by onthinice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006 08:47:37 PM »

Please do share the pattern - those are really neat!

**A pattern!  Thank you!   I love when people share  Smiley **
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006 05:06:15 PM by aliastriona_angerboda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

box of purls
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006 04:52:41 PM »

Yay! a pattern.  Thanks!  I want to learn to do the socks on circulars instead of dpns but I haven't taken the time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Hair with Hair Straightener Iron
How to Add Volume and Bounce to Hair
Bespoke Labs T3 Tourmaline Featherweight Dryer Review
FHI Heat Technique Ceramic Ion Styling Iron Review
Karmin G3 Salon Pro Hair Straightener Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...