A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
632 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First project for dpns?  (Read 3382 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

vasetthi

Iron Goddess of Mercy

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2006 11:52:13 PM »

I've never used double pointed needles before, but keep finding patterns I'd love to do, if only I knew how to use them.  I've found basic instructions on line, but need some suggestions on a good first project for dpns.  Probably something small (so it's not so hearbreaking when I have to keep frogging it) but interesting. 

What were your first projects on dpns?  Were they good for a dpn novice?  Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

--Vasetthi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know, for kids.
ravenfire

Pink is my angry colour.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 07:24:43 AM »

I'm not exactly a pro, but I learned by starting a hat of some kind on circulars and switching to dpns later. This got me used to the handling of them without having to worry initially about the stitches getting twisted or sliding off the end of your %$#@ing needle. That was a joy I saved for later.
DPNs really aren't that hard, though. I'm actually obsessed with knitting everything in the round now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dollface
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006 07:28:42 AM »

you can't go wrong with basic legwarmers. start with 1x1 rib for a few inches, increase a bunch, knit in stockinette for however long, decrease a bunch, do another 1x1 rib portion, et voila. or you could just knit a super-long tube in stockinette without the ribbing, increases, and decreases!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitchka
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 07:45:02 AM »

I love DPNS - I know some people find them cumbersome, but I learned knitting in the round on them, so they work for me. They're very adaptable - I usually use them instead when a pattern calls for circulars. I have a lot of DPNs thanks to yard sales, thrift stores, etc., and circulars are much harder to find in places like that, so I like to work with what I've got rather than buying new needles for every project.

I would also recommend a hat. If you want to start small, you could try a child's hat. I wouldn't go too small to start, though, because if you're casting on a very small number of stitches for your first project on them, you might find them tricky. They do take a bit of getting used to. (Just be sure to pull your first couple of stitches on each needle much tighter than you normally would!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006 04:50:16 PM »

i made marnie mclean's nautilus hat (google it).
it does start at the top, which was a hassle (few stitches - they slide around on the needle), but the upside was that you made an eyelet at every 'corner' of the dpns, eliminating any stretched-stitched ladder at the corner that beginners often end up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athena404
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006 05:01:09 PM »

I say just go for socks
Once you master dpn knitting, knitting a sock isnt really that much else
Socks were my first dpn needl project and they werent too overwhelming
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vasetthi

Iron Goddess of Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006 09:38:36 AM »

These are all really great ideas!  We're still getting plenty of snow here in Minnesota, so I could use some legwarmers and hats!  Does anyone know where I could find a basic pattern for a bottom-up hat to knit in the round?  I know it probably should be something I could figure out without a pattern, but it would be nice to have some guidance for my first in-the-round project.

Thanks.  You guys rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know, for kids.
eja615
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006 10:04:29 AM »

I'm actually working on Tubey from Knitty right now and it is my first project using dpns.  I did a mini-tube on some dpns to practice before using them on my project, because I like to avoid frogging at all costs.

I would definitely reccommend knitting somethign that is a simple tube to begin with...not a whole lot of shaping or things to keep track of until you get comfortable with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006 07:10:42 PM »

Here are links to a few free online patterns. I've only made the first Noro one - it was simple and turned out nice.

Ribbed Noro Hat

Gusto 10 Beanie

His Hat

Winter Femme

Just out of curiosity, why do you want bottom up hats? There are some interesting top down free patterns out there also.

Edit to add one more I just found and have to add to my long future project list:
Twisted Lattice Cabled Hat
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006 07:15:44 PM by elijor » THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006 09:02:52 PM »

Definately fuzzy feet!!!

I skipped the whole circular needle thing on fuzzy feet and did the entire things on DPNs.  Was my first dpn's project.. and my first sock shaping project. A great project for learning both skills since you felt the finished item, so any wonkyness you get is felted away into perfection...

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Creating Mood with Gaussian Blur in Photoshop
Understanding Aspect Ratio for Printing
Windmill Post Processing
Color Range in Photoshop
How to Use Fit Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...