A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
554 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with mystery yarn?  (Read 611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fozziebear54
« on: March 11, 2006 11:31:49 PM »

Over the summer I went through a closet in my house looking for yarn. I pulled out a few balls, put them with some other yarn, and promptly forgot about it all. Recently I went through the yarn again, and realized that one of the balls is pretty gorgeous. (Picture.) However, it was not identified in any way, shape, or form. After knitting up a bit of it and fondling it quite a lot, I've decided it's definitely NOT wool or any other kind of animal fiber, and if it's got any synthetic material it must be less than half of the total fiber content (when I block it, it stretches by nearly a stitch per inch). My best guess is silk, or maybe a cotton/silk blend (I'm not too sure of what cotton feels like, I've only used it once).

The picture shows it how I found it, with two strands of itself held together. I separated it into single strands, which knit up well on US 3 needles (I can't remember at what gauge, and I left my notes on it at school). I've now got two balls of this yarn. To give you perspective on their size, they rest nicely on the palm of my hand. My question is this: What could I make out of this yarn that wouldn't require me somehow finding more of it?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006 10:26:49 AM by Fozziebear54 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 01:54:53 PM »

That is a gorgeous ball of yarn, Fozzie! Maybe make flowers?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=29757.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weirdlilcraftychic

oh wow look at me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006 08:09:02 PM »

looks kinda like rayon to me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medstudentknitter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 08:57:09 PM »

For me the biggest issue with mystery yarns is exactly how much there is. My favorite treatment for that sort of thing is a top-down hat. I don't want to attempt something difficult only to find I don't have enough, so I go for simple things that just show off the yarn, which is usually worth showing off or I wouldn't be trying to be knitting with an "oddball". I start knitting with it and I almost always get at least 3/4ths of the way through before I run out. If I don't have enough for an entire hat the bottom is finished with a band of a different yarn (when the mystery yarn is brightly colored like yours I tend to favor black yarn). The only preparatory work I do is to gauge carefully both the mystery yarn and the bottom band yarn so that I know they can be knit in the same piece together with the minimum of strife.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love the friendly faces of old Sorrows;
I have no secrets that they do not know.
-Karle Wilson Baker
Fozziebear54
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006 11:24:39 PM »

looks kinda like rayon to me...

My mom suggested it might by rayon. I've never used rayon for anything before, so I have no clue at all what it feels like. Forgive me one more question: Rayon is a synthetic fiber, yes? As such, does it block at all? (I can't remember if acrylic is the only one that doesn't block, or if it's all synthetics. I've also left my knitting books at school, so I can't check up on this.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weirdlilcraftychic

oh wow look at me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006 12:03:42 AM »

btw are those "seventeen" glasses? they look JUST like mine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliastriona_angerboda
Pirate Queen, Insane Woman, Complete Nerd

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006 12:23:18 AM »

Rayon is a plant-fiber product - it's the processing of the fiber that earns it the 'synthetic' title (I know there's tubes and extruding involved...).  It's made from Cellulose, if I remember correctly, which comes mainly from trees and cotton.  It was originally marketed as an alternative to silk, so it should feel a lot like it.

I only know it as a fabric, not a yarn, so I've no clue about blocking, sorry.

It's definitely gorgeous...I like the top-down hat idea.  Or maybe wrist/armwarmers, if you're a fan of such things.  A tiny purse.  Weird knitted necklace.  Teeny little in-the-round animal/creature.  Um...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fozziebear54
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006 05:12:44 PM »

Oh, so that's what the deal is with rayon. Thanks for clearing that up. Smiley

A hat might be a good idea. Or maybe making flowers and putting them on a hat made out of different yarn. Or something along the lines of hat plus decorations. Hmmmmmm...

Thanks for the suggestions (and information)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Dressed Stars at the Grammys!
This Bra Only Unhooks Itself For True Love
How to Rock a Turtleneck in a Chic and Modern Way
10 Ways to Instantly Look Slimmer
Will Jared Leto Top His Man Bun at the Grammys?
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain
Here Kitty, Kitty!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...