A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 300,961
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know what these things actually are/do? (image heavy)  (Read 1040 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ohohitskelly
« on: March 11, 2006 07:06:12 PM »

My grandmother, who was the goddess of all crafting, now has too much arthritis and other problems to use much of her things, so she is in the process of giving it all to me. I am very thankful and overwhelmed and overjoyed.

But, after going through the boxes and bags of it, I found some things that I weren't sure what to do with, and I don't know if they're just random things, or things I just don't know about.

Maybe you can help:
(I apologize for the poor picture quality)

Notes: The metal rods are thin and easily breakable, and have a hole at the top.
The seconds things I plan to use for belt buckles, as I don't know what else they'd be.
The last two items seem to be handmade, and are about the size of a thimble.

Thank you Smiley
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010 04:10:34 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bombing for peace is like fucking for virginity.
bilblio
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006 08:29:07 AM »

1 These might be beading needles. Are they very flexible, and does the hole at the top squish together?

2 I would say are definitely belt buckles, I have loads in my stash inherited from my Grandma. Be careful though, the ones I've got are plastic, and because they're old they do tend to break quite easily.

3 Haven't a clue, they look a little like beaded beads which I've seen patterns for making. Maybe your Grandma was just experimenting with a new beading stitch.

4 These look like beaded buttons to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog - http://www manickitty.co.uk/
My wists - http://www.wists.com/bilblio/
ohohitskelly
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006 08:58:48 AM »

1 These might be beading needles. Are they very flexible, and does the hole at the top squish together?

2 I would say are definitely belt buckles, I have loads in my stash inherited from my Grandma. Be careful though, the ones I've got are plastic, and because they're old they do tend to break quite easily.

3 Haven't a clue, they look a little like beaded beads which I've seen patterns for making. Maybe your Grandma was just experimenting with a new beading stitch.

4 These look like beaded buttons to me.

1 Mm, yes, it does. I guess that's what they are then.

2 Yes, these are plastic, and look like they could break.

3 Hm, okay. I'll find something to do with them.

4 Yes, that should have been obvious, they were near the the box of buttons.... I just didn't figure it out, haha.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bijouxmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006 09:07:23 AM »

How big is #2? I really hate to answer this & date myself but I am having an 80s flashback.  In the 80s we wore big drapey tshirts & used something that looked like that to bunch up the bottom of the shirt & hike it up.  Like you pull your shirt to the side & hold it tight, then thread the shirt tail through it like a belt buckle.  it holds your shirt taunt at the bottom.  Oh the fashion victims......

I imagine if that is what they are they will make a comeback.  which is very frightening. 

I have no clue as to what anything else is. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006 09:55:32 AM »

The first picture, looks like bobbins for doing bobbin lace
The second are buckles
Thrird, can't tell
Forth, are buttons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hgflower

happiness is a bowl of noodles :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006 10:28:36 AM »

How big is #2? I really hate to answer this & date myself but I am having an 80s flashback.  In the 80s we wore big drapey tshirts & used something that looked like that to bunch up the bottom of the shirt & hike it up.  Like you pull your shirt to the side & hold it tight, then thread the shirt tail through it like a belt buckle.  it holds your shirt taunt at the bottom.  Oh the fashion victims......

wow, i totally remember those. i used to have a heart shaped one, and i'd scrunch up my socks and pretend i was punky brewster
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
my wist
favorite new song w/video! onerepublic - apologize
musicmob
have random thoughts? send them my way!
not2old4glitter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006 01:18:32 PM »

The belt buckles would be nice used on a handbag, like make a strap/flap that comes over the top and the fastener can be a snap or magnet but the buckle on the strap is just decorative. That way there would be less stress on the buckle than using it on a real belt, and less likely to break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ohohitskelly
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006 02:16:47 PM »

It's about as big as a small belt buckle (maybe an inch & a half long?), which is what I think it is.
That fad was around when I was being born, but I do know what you're talking about...hahaha.

The belt buckles would be nice used on a handbag, like make a strap/flap that comes over the top and the fastener can be a snap or magnet but the buckle on the strap is just decorative. That way there would be less stress on the buckle than using it on a real belt, and less likely to break.

That's quite the good idea. I'm imagining a kind of retro, but dressy bag...I may have to try that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

grannystylee
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2006 05:10:25 PM »

Those are little belt buckles, they were used with dresses I think in the 40's. 
  In an issue of Martha Stewart Living she cut out the middle bar on some of those with a dremel tool and turned them into mini picture frames which I believe she then put magnets on for the fridge. They were great.
   That last pic is definetly buttons.  Cool stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McJulie-O
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2006 07:43:20 PM »

The first picture looks like eye-pins, used in beading and jewelry making (called that because they have an "eye", as opposed to head pins which just have a stub) You place your beads on the pin and then use round nose pliers to make a loop at the top to attach the whole thing to a larger piece. Eye pins have the hole so that you can attach something to the end using those little ring-thingies, which look like jump rings to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Make Cucumber and String Bean Salad with Olive Tapenade Dressing
Learn how to Cook Dill and Feta Turkey Burgers with Cucumber and String Bean Salad
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak Sandwich with Homemade Onion Rings
Learn how to Make Fried Chicken Steak with Mashed Potatoes and White Gravy
Learn how to Finish an Apple and Vidalia Onion Upside Down Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...