A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,381
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Joining on a circular needle  (Read 512 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ooglyboo
« on: March 09, 2006 05:27:15 PM »

I'm making a hat from this pattern: http://www.knitting-and.com/knitting/patterns/hats/london-beanie.htm. It's my first attempt at knitting in the round and I'm going insane. I've tried casting on 4 times already. It's not that my stitches are twisted, it's that when I try to join it always goes terribly wrong. These instructions http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/circular.html say the first cast on stitch should be on the left needle but when I finish casting on the stitches it's always on the right needle so that I can't join. I'm using cable cast on but I don't think that really matters. I even tried casting on in purl and then turning it around so that my first cast-on stitch would be on the left needle, but I don't think that's what I'm supposed to do. *moron*

Oh also the time I did it the purl way I got this gap between the stitches. Does anyone know how to get rid of that?

Please help! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cupcake-girl
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006 05:52:13 PM »

Did you try sliding the cast-on stitches down to the other needle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ooglyboo
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006 06:31:59 PM »

Did you try sliding the cast-on stitches down to the other needle?

I don't know what you mean. When I cast on my first stich begins on the left needle. Once I finish casting on it's on the right. When I knit I always end up making a really wide flat piece instead of something in the round. Sad I read the knitty article on it but it didn't really help and I watched some video online where the woman shows how to do it but I still don't get it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006 06:37:44 AM »

It depends how you look at the needle. When casting on, they'll go all the way around to the other end, but.... then you turn the needle around, so the first stitch is on the left tip and the last one you just cast on is on the right side, with the yarn trailing off there. Then you take the yarn and start your first stitch in the left side, as if you were knitting flat, only with that first stitch, you've joined them together.

Make sense? Ask more questions if it doesn't....

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
brightlights
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006 07:03:45 AM »

Read this tute by Crazy Aunt Purl.  She has a really good way of explaining things simply.
http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2006/02/may_the_circle.php
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ooglyboo
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006 05:47:35 PM »

sue: Thanks. That makes a lot more sense now. I'll finally be able to start actually knitting my hat  Grin
brightlights: I read her explanation. So much more clear than the other sites. Thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Change the Color of an Image
How to Work on a scenic photograph in Photoshop
How to Tidy Up Your Images in Photoshop
How to Create a gallery image Part 1/2
How to fix reflection in xmas balls in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats
July is National Blueberry Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...