A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
784 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Best Crochet Resource EVER  (Read 3463 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nasty_wench
« on: March 09, 2006 05:25:20 PM »

OK, I have owned the SnB Happy Hooker book for fours days. I have learned a lot of the stitches I wanted to learn (I'm new to crochet).  I made the Garden Scarf (modified to the yarn and flower style I thought my best friend would like) in less than a few hours.

It takes a few hours to get used to the stitches and make a few (ahem) mistakes.

I started a purse too.  I was going to make a modified Orange You Glad, but then I saw some pink and brown velour yarn and went hog wild, making my own pattern loosely from the Orange bag (except it's now a striped bag).

This book is pretty clear. I stumbled a bit trying to figure out how to stitch a sc stitch into a circle. But trial and error (and determination) and I finally got it.

Crochet is so cool, thanks to all the cool chicas who contributed their patterns (and of course, the Supreme Happy Hooker, Debbie Stroller).

If you want to learn how to crochet and get the patterns for x-tra cool stuff, this is THE book to get. Rock on Happy Hookers!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shoppe: Blissed Out! by sharon-lizette designs.
http://www.sharonlizette.etsy.com

My craft, travel and vegan delites blog. Stop by and say hi!
http://nastywench.blogspot.com
msjzbl
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006 01:53:40 PM »

Other than the super long chains I used to make when I was 8 years old, I'm new to crochet (but old to most other needle crafts) and I'm fairly self-taught on all things yarn-related, and it was only with the Happy Hooker that the light bulb finally went on regarding crocheting on the round (I have finally mastered the granny square!!). Thanks Debbie!!

Msjzbl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dasyatis

heck yeah! let's dance!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006 09:38:20 PM »

Yay! I'm glad you posted this, nasty_wench, I've been going back and forth on whether to get this book or not, since I'm really (realllllly) new to crochet, too. But now I'm leaning more towards picking it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if mame was right and life really is a banquet, then i think i'm on a diet...totally against my will.

bloggy goodness
http://ludmilla42.blogspot.com/
Amethyst
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006 07:44:49 AM »

I think this book is an excellent resource, too. Smiley

Just make sure you print out the error sheet that's available online (there's a link to that somewhere).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

krafty_kelly
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006 08:20:29 AM »

I just bought this book too!  Yay!  So far I am enjoying it.  I haven't gotten into trying any of the projects yet.  I've been crocheting for years.  I'm self taught but I've always secretely suspected I've been doing alot of it incorrectly.  For instance, when a friend and I have tried the same pattern, mine would always be much larger and not as stiff.  This book has clarified that indeed I have been doing it wrong...(as was Debbie Stoller) and now I know how to do it right!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nasty_wench
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006 09:15:22 AM »

Yeh. I used the "Teach Yourself Visually Crochet" book too. The combination of the books was best for me.

Make sure you check out the errors and omissions page on the stitch and bitch website as the book had a couple of mistakes that are rectified on her website.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shoppe: Blissed Out! by sharon-lizette designs.
http://www.sharonlizette.etsy.com

My craft, travel and vegan delites blog. Stop by and say hi!
http://nastywench.blogspot.com
kasihime
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006 12:50:48 PM »

Thanks for mentioning the error corrections on the SnB website. I've been working on the Shrug patttern in Happy Hooker and i suspect there may be errors in that pattern. Hopefully it will help. I thought I was just Chro-tarded..... maybe there were errors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nesatchr
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006 05:59:04 AM »

Wait, I missed it, help! Corrections page? Does anyone have that link?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amethyst
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006 07:11:22 AM »

http://www.bust.com/knithappens/snbhh-errata.pdf
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nesatchr
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006 07:53:25 AM »

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Roux
A Top Chef Reinvents Your Wedding Registry
Chef Tim Love Makes a Creative Grilled Ham, Cheese and Tomato Sandwich
How to Make Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo
Sunny Anderson’s Bottom-of-the-Tortilla Bag Recipes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Favorite Vegan Recipes
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...